Split and Edit HD Video Using Free Software
Edited by BridgeMix, Eng, Jen M
How To Split and Edit HD Video Using Free Software
Imagine you're using your phone to record an embarrassing selfie when suddenly, a cat races through the scene behind you with a dog in hot pursuit! Incredibly, at that very moment a CLOWN CAR pulls up to the stop light and the cat dashes in through the driver's open window, and the dog dives in after it, causing TWENTY CLOWNS to come bursting out of the funny little vehicle!! The cat and dog take off through an open door and the clowns quickly pile back in and drive off as the light turns green.
Amazing! And you recorded the whole thing! You have the world's funniest home video and it's going to go viral! But what about those embarrassing selfies at the beginning, are you really looking for that kind of attention? Wouldn't it be nice if you could just split and edit the video to remove that embarrassing part? For free? You can, and here's how!
Windows Movie Maker
About 90% of personal computers are running on a Microsoft Windows operating system, which usually comes bundled with a handy little piece of software called Windows Movie Maker. The odds are, this is probably the quickest and easiest solution to splitting and editing your video clip, so let's take a quick look at it first and then we'll explore some other options that will appeal to Apple Mac OSX users as well.
- 1Open Windows Movie Maker.Advertisement
- Drag your mouse to the bottom left corner of the screen and click on the Windows Start icon.
- You might have a similar icon built into your keyboard and pressing this will also open the Windows Start menu.
- Type Windows Movie Maker, and click on the matching result from the list to open the program. If you typed in the entire phrase without typos, there should only be one match. In some cases it may say Windows Live Movie Maker, and that's fine too. As a shortcut, you can just type the word Movie, but you'll have to pay closer attention to the search results since they may offer additional options when the search parameter is less defined.
- If for some reason Movie Maker is not already installed on your Windows computer, you can download it here.
- 2Great! If you've made it this far, the rest is a cinch!Import Video Clip.Advertisement
- If you've already located the video file to edit, then just drag and drop it to the large open area in the Movie Maker workspace.
- Otherwise, just click on the icon near the top left of the screen that says Add videos and photos, and navigate to the file that way. Don't forget to connect your camera first!
- Movie Maker will automatically start converting the video file into a Windows format it understands. It might take several minutes depending on the video so be patient and keep an eye on the Preparing Video progress bar at the bottom of the workspace until it's done.
- 5Click on the first half of the split clip that you want to remove, then press the delete button on your keyboard.Edit Clip.
- Now that you've accomplished the basic edit, why not experiment with some other features, like adjusting the speed, adding fade in at the start and fade out at the end, or adding a music. If you try something that you don't like, just type Ctrl-z, or click the Undo icon near the top left to undo the last action, and then try something else.
Other Free Video Editing Software Options
If you've graduated beyond the simple split clip edit and are looking for something more robust than what Windows Movie Maker has to offer, there are some really incredible free options for video editing available, ranging all the way up to professional grade software like Lightworks (download here)
and Resolve (download here).
Another excellent video editing tool that has recently joined the ranks of free software is the latest release of Hitfilm, and it's available for PC or Mac.
HitFilm 3 Express
HitFilm Ultimate is a full-featured and versatile video, 3D and VFX editing software that is making a name for itself as a serious contender in the world of video production, and has an active and growing community for support. To attract even more users, they have released their basic version of HitFilm 3 Express, which includes all the essential tools with the option to purchase additional advanced components if the need arises.
Top Reasons to Switch to HitFilm for Video Editing
- Lots of Features
- Easy to Use
- Plentiful Support
- PC and Mac
- Minimal System Requirements
Here's how to get started with a basic split clip edit.
- 1Sign Up, Download and Install HitFilm 3 Express here, then open the program and click New project, then Start Editing.
- 6Complete any additional edits and click on the Export tab at the top.
- 7HitFilm Express will export your video directly to your YouTube account, but for the very first time you will have to Link Your YouTube Account.
- Click the Add button.
- Click the Open Browser button.
- Log in to your YouTube Account.
- Accept HitFilm's offer to manage your videos.
- Highlight and Copy the Google Authorization Code.
- Paste the Google code into the HitFilm and click OK.
- From now on you can Export your edited video directly to your YouTube channel.
- It's usually a good idea to Check the Make This Video Private button until you have a chance to view it yourself and choose the best time to share it with the world!
Free Online Editing Tools
Online video editing software exists on the internet, there is nothing to download and install on your computer, you only need an internet connection. Since most videos that you want to share are likely to end up on the internet anyhow, you may find editing video online to be practical and convenient.
The undisputed king of online video sharing is YouTube, and they offer some very basic, easy to use tools to edit your footage.
- 1If you don't have one already then you'll have to sign up. It's a free package deal that includes a YouTube account, Gmail, Google+, Google Drive, Google Docs, and lots of other neat stuff.Login to your free Google/YouTube account.
Video Editing For Everyone
With digital video cameras being so prevalent today, it just makes sense to acquire a few basic tools and skills to edit raw video footage into it's most presentable form. It doesn't have to cost a penny. If you don't already have one, open up a YouTube account as a place to share your creations and who knows, maybe your video will be the next viral sensation that thrills the world!
Sources and Citations
- Worldwide OS Market Share
- .Download Windows Movie Maker
- Lightworks download
- DaVinci Resolve 12 download
- HitFilm 3 Express download
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Split and Edit HD Video Using Free Software. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 27, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Split_and_Edit_HD_Video_Using_Free_Software
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Split and Edit HD Video Using Free Software." VisiHow, visihow.com/Split_and_Edit_HD_Video_Using_Free_Software Accessed 27 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Split and Edit HD Video Using Free Software." Accessed Mar 27, 2017. http://visihow.com/Split_and_Edit_HD_Video_Using_Free_Software.
Categories : Software
Recent edits by: Eng, BridgeMix