Speed Up Internet Connection
Edited by Vanessa Alexandra Avisado, Lynn, Eng
A lot of people who have a slow internet connection keep blaming their internet service provider. There are different factors that contribute to a slow connection, and it is not always the connection to the server. Here are some factors that can attribute to the slow connection, and some tips to enjoy faster internet usage.
Ways to Speed Up Internet Connection
- 1Check your type of internet connection.Advertisement
- 2Get the fastest modem available.Advertisement
- 3Ensure your phone line's condition.
- 4Check your proximity to the access point, and other physical obstructions.
- 5Wipe out spyware infestations.
- 6Always run your antivirus software.
- 7Increase your disk space.
- If this happens to you and you know you have other programs running simultaneously, close them.
- If you need them open all at the same time, then you will need to increase your computer's memory.
- Know that low disk space can have bearing on your computer's performance.
- Delete your browser's temporary files so you can increase your disk space.
- 8Maximize internet usage during off-peak hours.Advertisement
Tips for Troubleshooting Persistent Slow Net Speeds
- Check your router settings. Your broadband router may also cause you to have slow net speeds once they are not configured properly. If your MTU setting is too high or too low, expect to experience performance issues. You need to make sure the manufacturer's and your own router settings are consistent with one another, as well as your ISP or internet service provider. When doing necessary changes, make sure you record them so you'll know how to undo such configuration in the future if needed.
- Contact your Internet Service Provider. Overall, your ISP is responsible for your net speed. Whenever they change their configuration or undergo technical issues, you will also be affected and your speed will slow down dramatically. Sometimes they also install controls or filters on your network to lower your performance. If you suspect this is happening, contact them immediately and ask them to fix the problem asap.
- Get rid of faulty equipment. When your cables, modems, and routers bog down, don't expect them to support your connections. And even if connections are maintained, there are technical glitches that occur that can still affect your computer's performance. Try troubleshooting them by rearranging and reconfiguring the gear, swapping cables, bypassing the router, changing network adapters. Do these until you can isolate the specific component causing the delays. If you've done all these to no avail, you can always contact your ISP for assistance.
Slow net speed can be a real bummer, especially if you need it for work or school, or you can't live without it because that's the only time you can have some reprieve after a hard day's work, watching your favorite videos, live streaming the hottest new shows, gaming, listening to the latest tunes, checking what's happening on social media, and so on. That's why it's important you learn how to troubleshoot computer problems and speed up your internet connection all by yourself so you don't have to wait for help. Once you've mastered the basics, it's easier to figure out harder and more complicated problems in the future.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Tech
Recent edits by: Lynn, Vanessa Alexandra Avisado