Sooth Your Cough
Edited by Jomalyn Lardizabal, Anonymous, Robbi, Olivia and 2 others
A cough usually takes place when your throat feels itchy. Soothing your throat of the irritation from a cough is possible. The winter and rainy season as well as allergy season and colds and flu can cause a cough. The cough is the body's way of expelling the mucus that has accumulated in the lungs.
You can get this common ailment especially in winter days or rainy days. It is quite annoying and embarrassing at the same time, especially when you are traveling. Productive or non productive, it is the body's way of telling you that something is wrong. Hearing your child or your old parents cough night after night is enough to make you buy over-the-counter cough medicine, which can be dangerous to their health. Before you try to soothe a cough, you need to identify the types of cough.
What are the types of cough?
- 1Productive Cough.Advertisement
What to do if someone in the family has a cough?
- 1Whether it's your child, you or your parents who have an cough, you should first take note of the time or date the cough started.Take note of the quality of cough - whether it is hacking, continuous, productive or non productive.Advertisement
- 2Observe if it is accompanied by other symptoms such as fever, difficulty of breathing or phlegm.If there is phlegm expelled, take note of the color, consistency and odor. You don't have to touch or smell it. You can look at it and if you don't have any colds, you can get a pretty good smell of it without your nose getting near it.
- 3Take note if the cough is productive or non productive and its duration - whether its acute or chronic.An acute cough usually lasts from three to seven days. A chronic cough will persist for more than three months.
- 4Do not attempt to treat a cough immediately.The respiratory system has its own line of defense mechanism. Aside from this fact, more than a thousand strain of common colds and flu. There are times that you need to let the body take care of its own, unless the cough is accompanied by other symptoms like fever or difficulty of breathing. Unless these accompanying symptoms are present or you see an orange or bloody tinge in the phlegm, you can wait up to three days for the cough to resolve on its own. After three days and the cough does not go away, then it's time to seek medical attention.
- 5Follow the doctor's prescription and advice.
Here are some ways to soothe your cough
- 1Make a tonic drink with lemon and water.Advertisement
- 2Make a salt water solution.
- 3Make a honey and lemon solution.
- 4Warm calamansi fruit concoction.
Additional Tips to Help Relieve the Cough and Colds
- 1Protect yourself, the child or your elderly parent from getting chilly.When the body gets cold, the more it will require food to process for warmth. It will take time for a person to recover if the food he or she ingest will get metabolized for warmth instead of take up by soldier cells to fight infection. Use socks, blankets, jackets and mittens whenever necessary.
- 2Prepare and serve food in an interesting way like decorating it with a child's favorite cartoon character.This increases the chances of the child eating more than usual, especially when he is sick. If child or elderly is rejecting any food, try giving soda crackers and juices. If he or she doesn't eat at all for a day, it is advisable to bring the child or the person to the doctor.
- 3Clean the child's nose.You can use soft cloth or tissue for removing excess mucus in his nose. This will help him breathe easier. for him to be relieved from colds and to avoid allergies.
- 4Increase fluid intake.Water therapy can help for relieving cough in acute and chronic disorders of respiratory tract.
- 5Control noise in the surroundings to give ample rest to the sick child or individual.Advertisement
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Adrian Penaflor, Olivia, Robbi