Show and Explain Gaps in Work Experience on CV or Resume
Edited by Hotelier, priya, Eng
Hello, and thank you for watching VisiHow. In today's tutorial, we will be discussing how to deal with gaps in professional experience that we may have throughout our career. When we do decide to re-enter the workforce, it's important to know how we can present and discuss these gaps.
- 1If the gap was more recent or more frequent in our experience, it is more likely to be noticed. However, if we have a gap in our experience from several years ago, and that was followed up by a period of relatively stable and consistent employment, a hiring manager may not be as concerned about that. If we have frequent gaps in our experience of several months, and they are more recent, then there will likely be some questions raised about that.One thing that we need to remember is when the gap was.Advertisement
- 2We can place that information in the cover letter. If we have a gap in our experience on our CV, the CV or resume will not address why that gap occurred. We can place that information in a cover letter just to address any major concern. The explanation does not have to be long. It can be very brief, and more information can be provided in the interview. The goal of sending a CV and cover letter is to get the interview. If there are a lot of questions about gaps in employment, it may be more difficult to get called back for an interview, so we should try to briefly explain any large or frequent gaps that we have.Where can we present the reasons for these gaps, in case we do need to address it?Advertisement
- 3This is especially true if we had a gap there. The best policy is honesty, to a point. Obviously, if the reason for leaving was problems with the management or personality conflicts, those are not good reasons to provide. From personal experience, I have one instance where in a job, I mutually agreed to resign. It simply was not working out for me in non-profits. When I left my job, I had a four month gap in employment, and I had to explain that. I took the four months to really consider what it was I wanted to do, and I also did some things that I was able to say helped me get my next job. I did inform my next employer that it was a mutually agreed upon resignation, and that non-profit was simply not right for me as an industry. That's why I was sitting in the Human Resources office of a hotel trying to get a hotel job and not another non-profit job. This is okay. It's entirely fair.When we go to an interview, we'll be expected to explain the reason for departure from our last employer.
- 8Going into the hotel industry in Chicago, I could tell them, "I just spent four months being a tourist in Chicago, and I know all of the sites. I know everywhere to go, and I want to help people enjoy their time here". It was a good enough explanation, and it absolutely helped me land the job that I wanted.We can then tell them how our break helped, or how it will help.
- 9If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please leave them in the space below.This concludes today's tutorial on how we may be able to explain some gaps in our professional experience.Advertisement
Video: Show and Explain Gaps in Work Experience on CV or Resume
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Show and Explain Gaps in Work Experience on CV or Resume. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 26, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Show_and_Explain_Gaps_in_Work_Experience_on_CV_or_Resume
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Show and Explain Gaps in Work Experience on CV or Resume." VisiHow, visihow.com/Show_and_Explain_Gaps_in_Work_Experience_on_CV_or_Resume Accessed 26 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Show and Explain Gaps in Work Experience on CV or Resume." Accessed Apr 26, 2017. http://visihow.com/Show_and_Explain_Gaps_in_Work_Experience_on_CV_or_Resume.
Categories : Communications & Education
Recent edits by: priya, Hotelier