Share Nokia Phone's Internet Connection to a PC
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Rose B, Eng, Jerry Rivers and 20 others
You can share the internet connection of your Nokia phone to your computer so the latter one can connect to the internet using the phone's internet connection. Amazingly enough, this process will not only work for new Nokia phone. This procedure will work for most Nokia phones that have an internet capability including the older models. After reading this VisiHow article, you should be able to use the internet on your computer through your phone's connection.
- 1 Things you will need
- 2 Installing the Nokia PC Suite
- 3 Connecting the Nokia Phone and PC
- 4 Using Nokia PC Suite as a Modem
- 5 Which Nokia models can hotspot
- 6 Problem with infrared connection Nokia PC Suite
- 7 Comments, Suggestions, Reactions
8 Questions and Answers
- 8.1 How to connect the internet to a Laptop using Nokia Asha 230 via Bluetooth?
- 8.2 How to share internet connection using Nokia C6?
- 8.3 When I attach to Nokia phone via cable, Nokia PC suite does not see my phone.... my phone model no. is Nokia C5-03?
- 8.4 How to transfer data from laptop to Nokia mobile215 with simple features i.e. with internet and Bluetooth facility only?
- 8.5 I want to use my phone and browse on my computer, please help me?
- 8.6 New Nokia 3 Android phone cannot be used as modem in my PC windows 7?
- 8.7 I want to use any old phone(without touchscreen) and connect it to my laptop via USB and share its internet connection?
- 9 Comments
Things you will need
These are the items that you will need to complete the procedure properly.
- 1You can call your network's customer service representative to ask for activation and the right settings for your phone if you have not activated nor set the settings.An internet capable Nokia phone.Advertisement
- 2Mobile data service requires a data plan or prepaid credits for the internet to work. You can get on an unlimited service or a pay-per-use scheme. Inquire from your network's customer care for more information about promos and plans.Enough credits to use the internet on your phone.Advertisement
- 3Your location should have a stable network connection to allow uninterrupted internet connectivity.Good reception for the internet.
- 4Different Nokia phones use different cables. You can buy the right cable to your phone by going to a Nokia center or buying it from a local gadget shop. Connection through Bluetooth or infrared is possible though a USB cable is the recommended mode of connection due to its stability.A USB cable to connect your computer and your PC.
- 5You can download the software from the official site - http://www.nokia.com/global/support/nokia-pc-suite/Nokia PC suite software.
- 6A computer with USB port.
Installing the Nokia PC Suite
This is the first step in the whole process. Follow the procedures below to install Nokia PC Suite on your computer successfully:
- 1Go to the destination folder where Nokia PC Suite has been downloaded.Advertisement
- 2Open the file to start the installation process.
- 3Go over it and check if you agree to the terms. If you agree with it, accept it.A license agreement will show.
- 4Choose the destination drive where Nokia PC Suite will be installed.
Connecting the Nokia Phone and PC
This is the second step in the process. You need to connect your phone to your PC by using a USB cable, Bluetooth or infrared.
- 1After installation of the software, a connection wizard will appear.
- Cable connection uses a USB cable to establish the connection. Connect your phone to your computer using the USB cable.
- Infrared connection uses infrared to establish the connection. Turn on the infrared radios of your phone and your PC and align them horizontally to establish the connection.
- Bluetooth connection uses Bluetooth to establish the connection. Turn on the Bluetooth radios of your phone and your PC and pair them to establish the connection.
Using Nokia PC Suite as a Modem
This is the final step in our process of using your Nokia phone as a modem.
- 2If your devices did not auto-connect, click on "Configure the connection manually". You can ask the assistance of your network's technical support representatives for the right access point settings for their network.Some phones auto connect to your computer while others need to be configured manually.
- 5The connection works just like any modem connection, and you can connect or disconnect it on your task bar.
- 6You are now ready to use the internet on your computer through your phone's data connection.Congratulations!
Which Nokia models can hotspot
Several Nokia models may be used as WiFi Hotspot. Some Nokia devices have built-in tethering capability, and some still need a third party application to do so.
- 1Series 60 version 3 devices like Nokia N82, Nokia N95, and Nokia N96
- 2Series 60 version 5 units like Nokia 5800 and Nokia 5530 Xpress Music
- 3Symbian^3 devices like Nokia C7, Nokia E7, Nokia N8, and Nokia C6
These devices can make use of JoikuSpot to serve as a WiFi hotspot "Nokia Lumia" phones like
- Nokia Lumia 610 and Nokia Lumia 820 have built-in mobile WiFi hotspot. So you don't have to install an application to be able to serve as a hotspot.
Problem with infrared connection Nokia PC Suite
As mentioned, with the Nokia PC Suite you can connect any Nokia phone that has internet capability to your Laptop or PC. It will work well with the current Nokia Asha and other non-Lumpia Nokia cell phones. The Nokia PC Suite will support the latest Microsoft operating system, Windows 8, as well as the most recent Microsoft Office. With the Nokia PC Suite, you can use your computer to receive the latest updates for your Nokia mobile device, get navigation maps, and share photos, music, and back up your files. It depends on which model of Nokia that you own as to whether you can receive the full gamut of functions, however. If you have the versatile Nokia Lumia, you can enjoy the full array of Nokia PC Suite features, such as sharing streaming videos, photo albums, music, and all the most current updates. However, if you have an Apple Mac, you must download Windows Phone 7 Connector that is offered at the Mac App Store.
Another benefit that will bring a smile is that there is no cost for this software. Nokia offers a help menu for many issues and questions. Just click the "Nokia Suite Help", or "Support View". If you are having a problem with the infrared connection using your Nokia PC Suite, you only have to follow the instructions below. "How to correct a problem with infrared connection using your Nokia PC Suite"
- 1As a security measure, to follow the instructions below, you must be logged in as the administrator of your computer. To fix the problem with the infrared connection may be only because the infrared has been disabled. Make sure that your Laptop or PC does have infrared capability. Follow these steps if it does:First, be sure that you have infrared capability installed on your computer.
- First, left click the "Start" icon.
- Left click the "Panel".
- Left click "System and Maintenance".
- Left click "Device Manager". You may be notified that you need an administrator password or confirmation, depending on how it was set up. Just type in the password when prompted.
- Next, double click "Infrared devices".
- Right click Your Nokia mobile device, and left click "Enable".
Now, make certain that both devices are infrared enabled for your Nokia PC Suite to synchronize the two devices. Your Nokia phone and PC will have manuals that will tell you if you have the infrared capability on each device. You have to synchronize both devices to an identical infrared speed setting. Follow the steps below to set your PC and Nokia phone to the same connection speed. On your PC:
- 1Go to "Control Panel".
- 2Select "Wireless Link".
- 3Select "Hardware".
- 4Go to "Properties".
- 5And then select "Advanced".
There will be a property list for your PC. Choose the "Maximum Connect Rate" and click it. Consult with your PC manual for any variance of these steps, and/or for additional information about setting the connection speed.
On your Nokia mobile device:
- 1Go to "Menu" and tap or press it.
- 2Choose "Connectivity".
- 3Choose "Infrared".
Any data should be begun within one minute, or the infrared connection risks becoming disabled. If you have lost the infrared connection, restart your phone and PC for a new connection.
On your Symbian phone:
- 1In Nokia PC Suite connection, go to "Menu".
- 2In "Settings", ensure that you have your infrared modem setting turned "On".
The steps above are simple and few for each device once you have installed the Nokia PC Suite, but you must have both devices with the Infrared activated, and both must be synchronized to the same infrared connection speed. You should now be able to share data between your computer and your internet-capable Nokia mobile device.
Consult the phone or PC manual for any further troubleshooting beyond the above instructions. Also, you can consult the Nokia PC Suite FAQ Search at the Nokia website if there is still a problem with the infrared connection between your Nokia mobile device and your laptop or PC.
Comments, Suggestions, Reactions
- Comments, suggestions, and reactions are always welcomed in VisiHow. These help keep the articles accurate and up- to-date with current changes.
- The comments section is free for everyone to use. You may use it to voice opinions, ask questions, make clarifications, and make requests and suggestions.
- If you have any problems with any of these, please post in the comments section below.
Questions and Answers
How to connect the internet to a Laptop using Nokia Asha 230 via Bluetooth?
I have a Nokia Asha 230. Is it possible to use the Bluetooth connection as a modem?
To use the Nokia Asha 230 or other Asha model phones to provide an internet connection to your Laptop, you will need to install a third party software application that will allow you to use the Bluetooth connection as a modem. Blue Soleil is one such application, but there are others you may also prefer to use.
I have two phones, Nokia C6 and Samsung Galaxy S3. Samsung S3 doesn't have a SIM inserted so I want to connect the internet to it from Nokia so that I can update it
- 1It is a Symbian application that you need to open and install on the Nokia phone.Download JoikuSpot Lght to use your Nokia C6-00 as a WiFi hotspot first.
- 2To install, open the SIS file and tap on "OK".
- 3Choose installation location.
- 4After the installation, restart your phone.
- 5Tap on the application icon on your phone to start JoikuSpot.
- 6Read the terms and conditions.
- 7The application will ask: "Allow sharing your Internet connection with external devices?".If you agree to the terms, tap on "OK".
- 8Tap on "Yes".
- 9Make sure it has your operator name in it.When starting JoikuSpot, choose the Internet connection you want to share over WiFi.
- 10Take your Samsung Galaxy S3 and tap on "Settings".
- 11Tap on the "WiFi" toggle if it was disabled.
- 12Tap on "WiFi".
- 13Tap on the Nokia C6-00 WiFi hotspot network.
You should be connected to your Nokia C6 network with your Samsung S3 after you follow these procedures.===How can I update my Nokia 5530 using the computer?=== I want to update my Nokia 5530 using the computer, and I need assistance
1. Download and install Nokia Software Updater. 2. Connect your Nokia 5530 to the computer with the original USB cable. 3. Launch Nokia Software Updater. 4. Nokia Software Updater will detect your 5530, downloads the corresponding updates, and installs them.
When I attach to Nokia phone via cable, Nokia PC suite does not see my phone.... my phone model no. is Nokia C5-03?
Sir, please reply, when I connect the cable, the phone also shows Ovi suite, and I select this option...
Connection issues are a common problem and are usually the result of software conflicts. Nokia has changed the software they use several times. So you may want to make sure you are using the latest software. USB connection problems are never fun, but hopefully, you'll be reconnected soon. Follow the steps below.
- 1Instead of uninstalling choose "repair" and follow the on screen instructions.Run the Nokia PC Suite's set-up file.
- If your problem is fixed that's great. If not continue to step 2.
- 2Uninstall all Nokia programs from your computer.
- Go to Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs. Uninstall all Nokia software (Nokia PC Suite, Nokia Cable driver, and PC Connectivity Solution)
- If needed download and run Nokia PC Suite Cleaner
- Reboot your computer
- Download and install PC Suite here
- Connect your phone via USB cable (if possible use a different USB jack) and follow the instructions on the screen.
Your connection should now be successful.
See more questions like this: I want to connect my Nokia 215 to the internet via PC, but it is not supported in Nokia PC suite?
How to transfer data from laptop to Nokia mobile215 with simple features i.e. with internet and Bluetooth facility only?
Same as mentioned above i.e., I want to know how to transfer some data from my laptop to the mobile
For Nokia 215, follow these procedures:
1. Connect your phone to a computer with the USB cable. 2. Select "Mass storage" on your Nokia 215. 3. On your computer, open Windows Explorer or Finder, and browse to your phone. You will be able to see the content stored on the memory card. 4. Drag and drop items between your phone and computer. You can also copy and paste files.
If you do not have the cable, you can send email messages to yourself with files. Open your email account on your phone and save the attachments on the phone. This is a tedious process, and it is recommended to obtain the USB cable.
I want to use my phone and browse on my computer, please help me?
I want to use my phone network
Some phone models support tethering (using the phone network for the computer Internet). Follow the instructions below to do that.
- 2Tap the Menu key.Take your phone.
- 3Select "Connectivity".
- 4Select "USB".
- 5Select "USB connection mode".
- 6Select "PC Suite"
- 7Return to standby mode (by pressing the menu button).
- 8Connect the data cable to the phone socket and to the USB port of your computer.
- 9Start Nokia Suite on your computer.
- 10Click "Tools".
- 11Click "Options".
- 12Click "Connect to Internet".
- 13Click "Use manual settings".
- 14Click the text field below "Access point".
- 15Enter the access point name from your phone
- To see the name, go to "Menu", "Tools", "Settings", Connection", "Access points".
- 16Click "OK".
- 17Click "Tools".
- 18Click "CONNECT TO INTERNET".
If it did not work, then you would need a WiFi modem for your computer. Each combination of WiFi modems and computer operating systems has its own instructions on how to set the modem up to start receiving the WiFi signal. Please read the manual on how to set it up. Then, refer to the answer to "How to share internet connection using Nokia C6? on this page to see how you can create a WiFi hotspot out of your phone. Afterward, connect with your computer to the WiFi hotspot.
New Nokia 3 Android phone cannot be used as modem in my PC windows 7?
Phone cannot be connected to my PC as modem which is windows 7. All other Nokia phones are working as modem except new Android Nokia 3 phone what to do. I have tried: Downloaded ovi PC suite,and tried to connect to net. I think it was caused by: If I knew the problem why would I contact you. Thanks
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
If I use latest phones and hotspot or dongle, then I can be tracked via the radio communication between my device and the nearest router. I do not want this to happen. I want an independent internet connection, without being tracked. I study in a boarding school where we are not allowed full time internet access and they can track me down if I use hotspot or dongle to access the internet. I need internet in order to do my research and complete tasks. I have tried: My seniors tried using a dongle but they were tracked down by our network administrator and then they were punished. I think it was caused by: The nearest network tower is that of my school's and in order to use an external source of internet there has to be established a radio communication between my device and the nearest network tower(modem/router)
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.