Setup a Message Board on Your Website
Edited by Robbi, Lynn
Interaction on your website is one of the best ways to draw in new traffic and to allow your readers to interact with other visitors to the website. With that kind of interaction, you promote the community aspects of the site. With the right software in place, you can have a fully operational message board on your website. This will be an ideal place for you to communicate with others and to better filter messages that are being left. How do you install the software that is required to provide a website bulletin board.
Steps to Install a Website Message Board on Your Site
- 1If you have a home server, you will need to ensure that you have a fully functional system that can handle the process. If you are going to purchase a server through a hosting company, you need to plan for bandwidth and uptime.You will need to begin by ensuring that you have the necessary hardware in place.Advertisement
- 2If not, you will need to purchase the software and install it on the server. You will need to ensure that it meets any requirements that are in place. This can include PHP, Pearl, MySQL, and Cold Fusion or other type. As you are choosing, it is also very important to know the server's operating system type as you may need to choose a software package that can properly operate on it.Some hosting companies have message board software that you can use.Advertisement
- 3It is important that when you choose extensions and folders that you end up with an online layout that appears seamless and that it will meet the needs of those who will be posting on it. This can mean focusing on important features like advertising, password protection, customization capabilities and any other special requirements that may be necessary for a smooth operation on your system.You will now need to add the message board to your domain.
- 4These accounts can be used to ensure that you have the ability to address technical concerns, while having the admin as a backup, in the event that you need to lay down the law or you end up getting locked out of the tech support account.As part of the setup process, it will be a good idea to set up accounts for both a tech support account and an admin account.
- 5With the report button and other links, it will be possible for you to work together to ensure a positive online experience.It will be important to also set up a team of moderators who can help you, since you can't be all over the forum at once.
- 1This can be by adding in filters for offensive words and spam content.It is a good idea to use spam and abuse features on your message board to help prevent spam and abuse.Advertisement
- 2This allows you to block abusive users who routinely set up new accounts and with fake e-mail addresses.Ensuring that permanent ban features are in place is also important.
- 3This includes requiring administrators to approve or deny memberships.Always use a complex registration system to help cut down on excessive new accounts from spam posters.Advertisement
Sources and Citations
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Setup a Message Board on Your Website. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 25, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Setup_a_Message_Board_on_Your_Website
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Setup a Message Board on Your Website." VisiHow, visihow.com/Setup_a_Message_Board_on_Your_Website Accessed 25 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Setup a Message Board on Your Website." Accessed Apr 25, 2017. http://visihow.com/Setup_a_Message_Board_on_Your_Website.