Setup a Message Board on Your Website
Edited by Robbi, Lynn, Anonymous
Interaction on your website is one of the best ways to draw in new traffic and to allow your readers to interact with other visitors to the website. With that kind of interaction, you promote the community aspects of the site. With the right software in place, you can have a fully operational message board on your website. This will be an ideal place for you to communicate with others and to better filter messages that are being left. How do you install the software that is required to provide a website bulletin board.
Steps to Install a Website Message Board on Your Site
- 1You will need to begin by ensuring that you have the necessary hardware in place.If you have a home server, you will need to ensure that you have a fully functional system that can handle the process. If you are going to purchase a server through a hosting company, you need to plan for bandwidth and uptime.Advertisement
- 2Some hosting companies have message board software that you can use.If not, you will need to purchase the software and install it on the server. You will need to ensure that it meets any requirements that are in place. This can include PHP, Pearl, MySQL, and Cold Fusion or other type. As you are choosing, it is also very important to know the server's operating system type as you may need to choose a software package that can properly operate on it.Advertisement
- 3You will now need to add the message board to your domain.It is important that when you choose extensions and folders that you end up with an online layout that appears seamless and that it will meet the needs of those who will be posting on it. This can mean focusing on important features like advertising, password protection, customization capabilities and any other special requirements that may be necessary for a smooth operation on your system.
- 4As part of the setup process, it will be a good idea to set up accounts for both a tech support account and an admin account.These accounts can be used to ensure that you have the ability to address technical concerns, while having the admin as a backup, in the event that you need to lay down the law or you end up getting locked out of the tech support account.
- 5It will be important to also set up a team of moderators who can help you, since you can't be all over the forum at once.With the report button and other links, it will be possible for you to work together to ensure a positive online experience.
- 1It is a good idea to use spam and abuse features on your message board to help prevent spam and abuse.This can be by adding in filters for offensive words and spam content.Advertisement
- 2Ensuring that permanent ban features are in place is also important.This allows you to block abusive users who routinely set up new accounts and with fake e-mail addresses.
- 3Always use a complex registration system to help cut down on excessive new accounts from spam posters.This includes requiring administrators to approve or deny memberships.Advertisement
Sources and Citations
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.