Setup a Memory Card for the PCSX2 Emulator for PlayStation 2
Edited by Sam, Eng, VisiHow
In the PCSX2 PlayStation 2 emulator, saving your game is very important. This is especially true of the more advanced PlayStation games, where it's not possible to complete the game in a day. With these games, you'll want to save your progress. Thankfully, the PCSX2 PlayStation 2 emulator comes with full memory-card support. However, there are several ways to manage your memory card. Not all of these memory cards are equal, and the ones you might thing work best don't always do that. We'll cover the best methods below, with tips and tricks to help you get the most out of your PCSX2 memory cards.
Set Up PCSX2 Memory Cards
- 5This will open a new window.The first thing you will need to do is to name your memory card. In this case, we will name our memory card 'VisiHow'. The next thing you will need to do is to choose the capacity of the card, for which we have five different options. Once you choose a suitable memory card capacity for the game you would like to play, make sure that the 'NTFS' mark is ticked. When you've done that, press once on 'Create'.
- The first option is a basic 8 MB memory card. This is a standard PlayStation 2 memory card.
- The second memory card option is for 16 MB. These capacity memory cards were usually found in aftermarket third-party memory cards.
- The third option is to have a 32 MB memory card. Just like the 16 MB memory cards discussed above, these are aftermarket but were compatible with almost any game.
- The last physical card option we have the massive 64 MB memory card option. This may seem like a very comfortable solution due to its huge size, but, unfortunately, it is much lower in terms of compatibility with games. Because of this, you may have problems with saved games; and we don't recommend using this one unless you really know what you're doing.
- Lastly, there is an option to use folders. This method incorporates the use of folders to save games, instead of using memory cards. This method will save games inside of a folder instead of your selected memory card. If you're just planning to play games, this method should be avoided. It can also have compatibility issues, as in most cases the PCSX2 emulator expects to find memory cards rather than folders; and some games may not load saved game data properly.
- 9If you want to edit, modify, or work on a memory card, instead of clicking 'Insert' when you have selected the memory card you want work with, you can perform other functions.You can click 'Duplicate' to duplicate the memory card, click 'Rename' if you want to rename it, click 'Delete' to delete the memory card, or click 'Convert' to convert it. Also don't forget to make sure the two boxes below the memory card buttons are both ticked and then click 'OK' to save your changes.Advertisement
Congratulations! You have now created your first PCSX2 PlayStation 2 emulator memory card! You can now save and load any games you wish and enjoy your favorite PlayStation 2 games from the beginning to the end.
- If you chose the 64 MB memory card option and find that you have problems with it, you can always convert the memory card. This may not solve your problems, but it can sometimes work.
- As we suggested above, using a 64 MB memory card can create problems. Try to avoid this if possible, as you can sometimes run into problems with saved games that you can't fix.
- The use of folders to save games in is generally a bad idea. It's OK if you are saving a simple game to which you can easily come back or on which you don't mind losing progress; but it's an issue for larger games or more complex saved games. Avoid this when possible.
Questions and Answers
Can the pcsx2 have an external memory card or can it download by internet?
Please help us, when I play Taken 4 or 5, it gives me a message 'out of memory'.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Setup a Memory Card for the PCSX2 Emulator for PlayStation 2. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 24, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Setup_a_Memory_Card_for_the_PCSX2_Emulator_for_PlayStation_2
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Setup a Memory Card for the PCSX2 Emulator for PlayStation 2." VisiHow, visihow.com/Setup_a_Memory_Card_for_the_PCSX2_Emulator_for_PlayStation_2 Accessed 24 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Setup a Memory Card for the PCSX2 Emulator for PlayStation 2." Accessed Mar 24, 2017. http://visihow.com/Setup_a_Memory_Card_for_the_PCSX2_Emulator_for_PlayStation_2.
Categories : Gaming
Recent edits by: Eng, Sam