Setup Two Step Verification for Your Apple ID
Edited by Djinu, Alexander Avdeev, Eng
You're watching VisiHow! In this video, we are going to demonstrate how to set up two-step Apple ID verification.
- 1First of all, we navigate to https://appleid.apple.com.Advertisement
- 5There will be the following explanation:We click "Get Started..." under "Two-Step Verification".
"With two-step verification, your identity will be verified using one of your devices before you can make changes to your account, sign in to iCloud, or make iTunes or App Store purchases from a new device. You enter your Apple ID and password as usual. We send a verification code to one of your devices. You enter the code to verify your identity and complete sign in. You will also get a Recovery Key for safekeeping, which you can use to access your account if you ever forget your password or lose your device."
- 6The new page will read:We click "Continue".
"Once enabled, the only way to make changes to your account will be to sign in with two-step verification. There will be no security questions for you to remember or for other people to guess. Only you will be able to reset your password. If you forget your password, you can reset it with a trusted device and your Recovery Key."
- 7The new page will read:We click on "Continue".
"Important things to remember. Please make sure you understand the important security policies below before you turn on two-step verification. With two-step verification enabled, you will always need two of the following to manage your Apple ID:
- Your password
- A trusted device
- Your Recovery Key
If you forget your password, you will need your Recovery Key and a trusted device to reset it. Apple will not be able to reset your password on your behalf. App-specific passwords will be required to use iCloud with any third-party mail, contacts, or calendar apps."
- 8The new page will read:We'll just click on "Get Started".
"You must wait 3 days to enable two-step verification. The waiting period helps ensure that no one other than the owner of this Apple ID can set up two-step verification. A notification email will be sent to all addresses we have on file. Thank you for your patience! Please come back after 01:08 PM on September 4, 2015 (GMT) to continue setup."
In this video, September 4th is three days away.
- 11When three days pass, we go to https://appleid.apple.com.
- 25We will see our Recovery Key. We need our Recovery Key to access our account if we ever forget our password or lose our trusted devices. This key is very important, and it is not shared on the video. We might want to write the Recovery Key down or keep it in a safe and secure location.Now, we click on "Continue".
- 29The two-step verification will always need our password, a trusted device, and the Recovery Key. This is an effective way of protecting our Apple account from other people using it if they have just our password and not the trusted device or the Recovery Key. If they do have both the Recovery Key and the password, then our account can be compromised; so, it is very important to keep the Recovery Key in a safe place.We click on "Confirm" once we enter the Recovery Key.
- 31The site will say that we have enabled our two-step verification for our Apple ID. We have completed the process.We click "Enable two-step Verification".Advertisement
If you have any questions or comments, please leave them in the space below.
Video: Setup Two Step Verification for Your Apple ID
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Setup Two Step Verification for Your Apple ID. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 26, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Setup_Two_Step_Verification_for_Your_Apple_ID
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Setup Two Step Verification for Your Apple ID." VisiHow, visihow.com/Setup_Two_Step_Verification_for_Your_Apple_ID Accessed 26 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Setup Two Step Verification for Your Apple ID." Accessed May 26, 2017. http://visihow.com/Setup_Two_Step_Verification_for_Your_Apple_ID.
Categories : Macintosh
Recent edits by: Alexander Avdeev, Djinu