Setup APN on iPhone
Edited by Timbuktu, Charmed, Eng, Christine dela Cruz
Are you having issues with your network internet connections? Did you restore your mobile phone and lost the network settings on your iPhone? Or you simply changed your network and do not know where to set your network internet connection? In this article we will provide you the basic steps on how you can find, set or change the APN settings.
- 4Make sure that the Cellular data is on to turn this on you have to touch the ON/OFF (when it is on it should be in blue ON)
- 6Under Cellular Data you should then be able to see the APN settings, if there are no settings, you have to contact your network provider and ask for the APN settings, then input the information that they will provide you in this section to set your APN.
Things to Note About APN Settings or Cellular Data
- 1Depending on your service provider, using cellular data may be slower than using WiFi.3G or 4G may not be as reliable, especially if you are transmitting rather huge files such as pictures of videos.Advertisement
- 2In most cases, Facetime does not work on cellular data, especially if it's it's just 3G.You would be able to dial in, but you may not be able to get through. If you are able to get through, it is highly likely that the video would not be working well. Also, prepaid cellular data plans are usually not including provisions for Facetime functionality.
- 3If you are on a limited data plan, it is wiser to select only the crucial apps that you want yourself to be updated with all the time.If all of your apps are turned on and have push notifications, that will consume your data plan quickly. Apps, especially those with videos or containing large files such as Dropbox, should be turned off if possible.
- 4To be safe, if you have an opportunity to go on WiFi, let's say you are in the office or at home, you may want to turn off cellular data.This will ensure that whatever your internet activities are, it will utilize the WiFi and not your cellular data. It is very unlikely that your usage will consume both, but just do this to be sure. Also, whenever a strong WiFi is in place, iPhones normally automatically use that instead of the cellular data. That's why it's very important to always keep your WiFi open so that it will always be able to detect if there is an existing WiFi. In some cases, your data plan may be stronger than the available WiFi. In this case, if you do not want your iPhone to automatically use WiFi, just turn off WiFi.
- 5If you are concerned about internet security and you would rather use your data plan instead of connecting to any WiFi connections available, just turn off your WiFi.You may just turn it on in case you are confident on the security of the WiFi connection available. Between cellular data and WiFi, cellular data is usually more secure, mainly because it is your personal connection. There are no other users hooked up to it, unless you have activated personal hotspot. Therefore, if you are transmitting sensitive information and you are on an unlimited data plan anyway, just use cellular data.
- 6Using cellular data does not always allow personal hotspot.Depending on your service provider, this may or may not be allowed. In some cases, you even have to go to your service provider's office to have this function activated. This is because the usage in the other device in which your connection is shared will consume your data plan as well. Prepaid or limited data plans will most likely not allow this particular function.
- 7If you are seeing some unusual activities while using cellular data, it would be best to alert your service provider.If the provider's system is down, that will affect all cellular data users. There are also cases where they would make amendments to the APN settings that are to be used by their users. In which case, the new settings can be gathered from the service provider. It is not a problem with your device.Advertisement
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Setup APN on iPhone. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 25, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Setup_APN_on_iPhone
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Setup APN on iPhone." VisiHow, visihow.com/Setup_APN_on_iPhone Accessed 25 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Setup APN on iPhone." Accessed Mar 25, 2017. http://visihow.com/Setup_APN_on_iPhone.
Categories : IPhone
Recent edits by: Eng, Charmed, Timbuktu