Configure your router as an access point
Edited by Melsan, Lynn, Eng
People often purchase routers when they already have one at home, and they may not even know what to do with it, so it ends up being returned to the store. If you have multiple devices at home, then you can set the second router as an access point plus additional ports for LAN connection.
Connect Ethernet to First Router
Connect the Ethernet cord to the LAN port of the existing router, then to your computer and check the default gateway address.
- 1Go to "Start"Advertisement
- 2Click on "All Programs"
- 3Click on "Accessories"
- 4Click on "Command Prompt" then type "ipconfig".
- 5Take note of the default gateway.
- 1Click Apple logo.
- 2Go to "System Preferences" then "Network"
- 3Click "Ethernet," then "Advanced"
- 4Click the TCP/IP tab, and take note of the router IP.
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Primary DNS: 126.96.36.199
Secondary DNS: 188.8.131.52
DNS actually depends on your internet service provider, meaning that, it is different from one ISP to another.
Configure Your Second Router
- 1Unplug the cord from your existing router, and connect it to the LAN port of the second router.Advertisement
- 2* Example: 192.168.1.1Launch a browser to access it's GUI (Graphical User Interface).
- 5Now, unplug the Ethernet cord from the computer, and connect it to the original router's LAN port.
- 7After the configuration, you should see a blue wireless icon, green power light, and LAN port that indicates you have successfully configured the router as an access point.Advertisement
Tips and Trick
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Set router as an access point. (2013). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 29, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Set_router_as_an_access_point
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Set router as an access point." VisiHow, visihow.com/Set_router_as_an_access_point Accessed 29 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Set router as an access point." Accessed May 29, 2017. http://visihow.com/Set_router_as_an_access_point.