Set Up and Use Swype Keyboard on Samsung Galaxy S4 Lollipop/Marshmallow vs Jelly Bean/KitKat
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Lynn, Jesza Delfin, Eng and 7 others
- 1 This is part of the VisiHow series on how to use the Samsung Galaxy S4. You can visit the main VisiHow on how to USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 for a full list of S4 VisiHow Articles
- 2 Download and Install the Swype Keyboard + Dragon Trial
- 3 Using the Swype + Dragon Trial Keyboard
- 4 Disable or Uninstall the Swype + Dragon Trial Keyboard
- 5 How to Download Swype on your Samsung Galaxy S4
- 6 How to Switch to Swype Keyboard using Samsung Galaxy S4
- 7 Switch to Swype Keyboard While Writing a Text
- 8 Switch to Swype Keyboard using the Settings Menu
- 9 How to Register Swype Keyboard using Samsung Galaxy S4?
- 10 How to Activate Swype Registration on Samsung Galaxy S4
- 11 How to use Swype Keyboard on Samsung Galaxy S4
- 12 Adding Words to the Swype Dictionary
- 13 Familiarize Yourself with the Swype Settings
- 14 Use Two Languages on Keyboard for Galaxy S4
15 Questions and Answers
- 15.1 Where is the Add New Word option? That screen doesn't come up.
- 15.2 Swype doesn't show in the settings.
- 15.3 3. The backup is not good it keeps on asking about words I've already entered.
- 15.4 Switching between languages with voice typing.
- 15.5 Tap on "Swype" to select It." I Don't show Swype as an option.
- 15.6 I can remove a word from Swype, but I cannot add a word to Swype to be remembered for next time.
- 15.7 Swype is not coming up as an option on my phone.
- 15.8 Swype has disappeared from my Galaxy S4 after doing a firmware update today. Is this happening a lot, or do I have a problem?
- 15.9 My mic is not on my keyboard so I can talk text on my Galaxy S4 active?
- 15.10 Since updating my Verizon S4 to the latest Android version, the whole screen goes an ugly green color when I open up the texting app.
- 16 Comments
This is part of the VisiHow series on how to use the Samsung Galaxy S4. You can visit the main VisiHow on how to USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 for a full list of S4 VisiHow Articles
Back when Android updated to the Jelly Bean OS, Swype was removed as a stock application. The following article will take you through the steps of installing/uninstalling and using the Swype + Dragon Trial keyboard on your Samsung device.
Method 1: Lollipop/Marshmallow
Download and Install the Swype Keyboard + Dragon Trial
You can purchase the full app at any time by tapping the Swype store icon in the lower left corner of the keyboard.
Using the Swype + Dragon Trial Keyboard
The Swype keyboard allows users to compose text in four ways; the traditional method by tapping each character, drawing a path between each letter, handwriting using your fingertips or dictating with your voice.
Disable or Uninstall the Swype + Dragon Trial Keyboard
Method 2: Jelly Bean/KitKat
How to Download Swype on your Samsung Galaxy S4
To download Swype on your S4:
- 1Go to your Home menu.Advertisement
- 2From the Home menu, tap on the Applications icon.
- 3From the Application list, open Play Store.
- 4Search for Swype on Play Store.
- 6Wait for the installation to complete.
- You can also check on this comprehensive article on how to Install Swype on Your Android Phone.
Swype keyboard allows you to input texts on your phone faster by using a single finger to swipe through the letters of the word. Swype automatically detects the words based on the letters that were swiped. Swype also has voice recognition software that converts the words that you speak into text. This article will discuss these things:
How to Switch to Swype Keyboard using Samsung Galaxy S4
There are two ways of switching to the Swype keyboard from your phone's default keyboard. You can do it while writing if you are composing a message, or through the settings.
Switch to Swype Keyboard While Writing a Text
- 1While composing a message, swipe your finger from the top part of the screen to the bottom, this will open the Notification Panel.
- 2From the opened notification panel, tap on "Select Input Method".
- 3Tap on "Swype".A prompt will pop up, asking you to choose from the list of keyboard applications currently installed.
- 4You have successfully switched to the Swype keyboard.
Switch to Swype Keyboard using the Settings Menu
- 6From Language and Input, tap on "Default," and then choose "Swype".
- 7You have successfully switched to the Swype keyboard by using the settings menu.
How to Register Swype Keyboard using Samsung Galaxy S4?
If this is the first you've used this application, Swype will ask you to register your Samsung Galaxy S4 with their servers. This is not compulsory, and you can still use Skype without registering, however, since registration is free, we recommend that you register an account with them, so your swiping patterns and logs will still be accessible if there is a need for you to switch devices in the future. To register your device with Swype, follow the procedures below:
- 6From Language and Input, tap on "Default", and then choose "Swype".
- 11Tap on "Register Now" to proceed.Internet connection is required here, so your phone may ask you to activate your mobile data connection if no WiFi connection is available.
How to Activate Swype Registration on Samsung Galaxy S4
To complete the registration process, you need to input the verification code that was sent to your email address on your phone. To do it:
- 1Log into the email account registered with Swype.
- 2If the email isn't in your inbox, go to your email's inbox and spam/junk folders and check for the email from Swype.
- 3Open the email and take note of the activation code.
- 9From Language and Input, tap on "Default" and choose "Swype".
- 10Tap on "Swype Connect" and choose "Enter Activation Code".
- 11Enter the activation code and you are done with the activation process.
How to use Swype Keyboard on Samsung Galaxy S4
Entering a Word
Entering a word in Swype is easy. Just have to follow these procedures:
- 1Put your finger on the first letter of the desired word.
- 2Draw a path from the first letter to the next letter until you finish the whole word.
- 3This also signals Swype to automatically put a space after the letter.Lift up your finger to indicate that the word is done.
- 5You have learned how to enter a word on Swype.
Swype is programmed to detect words with double letters. However, you can help the app detect more efficiently by doing the following:
- 1When swiping the word and you get to the part of the word that has two letters, scribble your path slightly or make a little loop on that letter.
- 2That gesture will signal Swype to repeat the letter.
- 4Swype will automatically detect the word as "Hello".
- 5You have learned how to enter a word with double letters on Swype.
Word Choice List
Most of the time, there are many possible word results from a single gesture of swiping the words. Although Swype has an algorithm to check for the word with the highest possibility for the sentence and pattern, you can also choose the right word from the Word Choice List on your keyboard.
- 1After swiping the desired word, you can choose the right word by tapping it on the Word Choice List.
- 2You can also search for the other words by tapping and dragging across the words, and then tap on a word to select it.
- 4You have learned how to use the Word Choice List on Swype
Adding Words to the Swype Dictionary
You can add words to the Swype dictionary by doing the following:
- 1Complete a regular typing gesture of the word.
- 2After typing it, tap on the Word Choice List tab where it shows "Add *Chosen word* to dictionary."
- 4The desired word will be saved to the dictionary, and it will show when you Swype it.
- 5You have learned how to add words to the Swype dictionary.
- Note: You can delete a saved word in the Swype dictionary by tapping and holding on the Swype icon
Use Swype's Voice Recognition Software
You can use Swype's voice recognition software by doing the steps below:
- 2Speak your message clearly and tap the "Done" button when you are through.
- 4You have learned how to use Swype's voice recognition software.
Familiarize Yourself with the Swype Settings
Knowing the Swype settings, allows you to maximize the use of the application. To go to Swype settings, you can go to your Home screen, and then go to Menu
> My Device
> Language and input
and tap the "Settings"
icon next to Swype. You can also tap and hold the Swype icon
on your Swype keyboard to go to Swype settings. The settings will then show:
- 1How to Swype - Tapping on this option will allow you to view the guides on how to use the Swype keyboard.
- 2Gesture - Tapping on this option will allow you to see the Swype-specific gestures to make your Swype experience better and easier.
- 3Preferences - Tapping on this option will allow you to set preferences, based on the following:
- Vibrate on KeyPress - Tapping on this option will allow your phone to vibrate when a key is being touched.
- Sound on KeyPress - Tapping on this option will allow your phone to make a sound when a key is being touched.
- Show Helpful Tips - Tapping on this option will display tips on how to use Swype effectively.
- Auto Spacing - Tapping on this option will allow Swype to automatically insert spaces between words.
- Auto Capitalization - Tapping on this option will allow Swype to capitalize the first letter of every sentence.
- Show Complete Trace - Tapping on this option will display the complete Swype path when you swipe a word.
- Pop up KeyPress - Tapping on this option will show the characters above the key when you are typing.
- Next Word Prediction - Tapping on this option will predict the next possible words based on the entered text.
- Reset Swype's Dictionary - Tapping on this option will delete all the words you have saved and added to the Swype dictionary.
- Version - Tapping on this option will display the current version of Swype.
- 4Language Options - Tapping on this option will allow you to change keyboard language and download additional languages for the Swype keyboard.
- 5Swype Connect - Tapping on this option will allow you to configure and sync your Swype account on the internet based on these options:
- Register Now - Tapping on this option will take you to the registration page, where you can register your device. Registration is important, especially when you want to use the same settings and dictionary on other devices.
- Account - Tapping on this option will allow you to manage your sync functions to another device, delete your account and make a backup of your Swype dictionary.
- Enter Activation Code - Tapping on this option will allow you to enter the activation code sent to your email address during the registration process. This option will disappear once you have activated your phone to use Swype.
- Backup & Sync - Tapping on this option will allow to automatically back up and sync your Swype dictionary.
- Contribute Usage Data - Tapping on this option will allow Swype to collect data from your device to improve Swype predictions.
- Cellular Data - Tapping on this option will allow Swype to update and sync using your network's data connection. If you are on a limited internet plan with your network, turn this off.
- 6Personalization - Tapping on this option will allow the device to make predictive results better and tailor them to your writing and composition style by collecting data from your social network accounts.
- Edit Dictionary - Tapping on this option will allow you to manage words, username, and contacts on you Swype dictionary.
- Facebook - Tapping on this option will allow you to sync your Facebook account to add contact names to your Swype dictionary.
- Twitter - Tapping on this option will allow you to sync your Twitter account to add usernames to your Swype dictionary. This option will also gather new words from your Twitter feed and store them in your Swipe dictionary.
- Gmail - Tapping on this option will allow you to sync your Gmail account to add the names of people that you have emailed to your Swype dictionary.
- 7Updates - Tapping on this option will allow your phone to check for any available Swype updates.
Use Two Languages on Keyboard for Galaxy S4
There are actually a lot of people who can speak and write in more than one language. Just like these people, the Samsung Galaxy S4 can adapt to its user depending on what language they would like to use and even multiple languages. Using the advanced features of the Samsung Galaxy S4, we will help you use two or more languages on the keyboard for the Samsung Galaxy S4. Just follow these steps:
- 1Go to your Home screen, tap the Menu bar, which is on the lower left part of your phone.
- 2Choose "Settings".
- 3On the Settings page, go to "My Device".
- 4Scroll down and look for "Language and Input".It will bring you to another page.
- 5Select the Samsung Keyboard and tap the gear icon next to it.
- 6Tap "Input Languages".
- 7It will show you two lists of languages, "Downloaded Languages" and "Available Languages".
- Downloaded languages are the languages already inside your Galaxy S4.
- Available languages are the languages available on the internet. You need to download these languages if you want to use them. Almost all the languages in the world are available to be downloaded.
- 8Tap on the box to select.Choose the languages you would like to appear on your keyboard.
- 9Once you're done, you can try using all the languages that you checked by accessing your keyboard.
- 10Open your Messaging app and try to write a new message.
- 11You will now notice that your space bar has a left and right arrow on it.
- 12And that is how you use two languages or more on your Galaxy S4. Enjoy!Swipe your fingers on the space bar to the left or right to switch the languages on your keyboard.
Questions and Answers
Where is the Add New Word option? That screen doesn't come up.
The "add a new word" option will show once you tap on the new word that you want to add to the dictionary. The illustration below will guide you.
You can add a word to your dictionary by performing the following steps below:
1. Open up your message window to start a text.
2. While in your text, type a word, when you receive the option to Add Word, just tap on the word Swype is trying to correct (highlighted in orange.)
3. This action will add the word to your dictionary.
Swype doesn't show in the settings.
To promote their Keyboard app, Samsung has removed Swype on their Jellybean OS 4.2 and up. As a result, Swype, which was previously pre-installed on Android versions, but in the latest Android operating systems on Samsung, it has not been pre-installed. If you want to use Swype on your device, you need to download and install Swype from the Play Store.
- Download Swype from Play Store by searching for "Swype" and installing it to your device. Follow the section on this article on #How to switch to Swype Keyboard using Samsung Galaxy S4
- You can also download Swype from Play Store's web version. Download the free application or the paid version.
- You may check this detailed article on how to Install Swype on Your Android Phone
Sometimes you might find the directory of the settings regarding Swype by going to settings > then Language and Input and choose Swype. There are also devices that do not support Swype.
Follow the steps below to help you locate Swype:
1. Go to settings.
2. Go to the tab My Device.
3. Go to Language and Input.
4. Select the option Default Keyboard.
5. In this menu, select the Swype option in this list to set it to your default keyboard
3. The backup is not good it keeps on asking about words I've already entered.
The backup is not good it keeps on asking about words that I've already entered
If your Swipe dictionary does not add a word that you've already entered, then you may follow these procedures:
- Manually add words to your Swype dictionary. Upon completion of entering the characters for the desired word, tap on the word, then tap on the "Add to Dictionary" option. Question#1 has the step-by-step procedure on how to do this. You may refer to it.
- You can also set Skype to automatically add words to the dictionary. To do that go to Home > Apps icon > Swype App > My Words > Change Dictionary Behavior > Tick on "Allow Swype to Automatically Add Words to my Dictionary". Once you do that, typing on the desired word that you want to add and tapping on it on the word list will automatically add it to the dictionary.
I will need you to elaborate a bit more on the question that you have just asked. Although your question is directed towards Swype, and you are saying the backup is not good, there is no backup about Swype.
Switching between languages with voice typing.
When I use voice typing, and I want to switch to another language (I use English and Hebrew), the voice recognition always comes up in English, and I have to choose Hebrew even if I'm using Hebrew on the keyboard. Is there any way to avoid this additional step? I often start speaking in Hebrew without realizing that it's recording me in English. Is there any way around this? Thanks!
If your Google Voice typing automatically switches to English, then your phone may be set to English / Automatic for Google Voice typing. By default, your phone is set to "Automatic" under Google voice typing. To change this, you can follow these procedures:
- Go to your Home screen by tapping on the Home button.
- From the Home screen, tap on the Menu key (lower left soft key).
- From the options, tap on the Settings options.
- From Settings, tap on "My device".
- From "My device", tap on Language and input under Input and control.
- Under Keyboards and input methods, tap on the gear icon on the right part of "Google voice".
- On "Google voice typing settings", tap on "Choose input languages".
- From the list uncheck Automatic and scroll down to the language of your choice.
- Put a check mark on the right side of the language to choose it.
- You are done with changing Google's Voice Typing language.
I am sorry, but no there is not a way to use voice recognition for two languages at once. The only way to get it to recognize the other language is to set it in the particular mode you want at the time you need it.
Tap on "Swype" to select It." I Don't show Swype as an option.
In the step: "After tapping on the option above, a prompt will pop up, asking you to choose from the list of keyboard applications currently installed. Tap on "Swype" to select It." Doesn't show Swype as an option.
When you visit the settings>>>>>Language and Input>>>you can simply select the keyboard options to activate Swype. After you have activated the Swype option, tap on the Default option>>>>from here you will see Swype option.
I can remove a word from Swype, but I cannot add a word to Swype to be remembered for next time.
I want to Swype the word 'tot' (in Dutch), it does not show at all. Now I type "tot, " and I see it in the bar below, I choose "tot" and press the space bar. Now I want to swipe "tot" but again, not the word "tot" shows. What do I do wrong?
It simply means that Swype does not understand that the word `tot` is used in Dutch. Instead, they treat this word as misspelled. You can add the Dutch language in Swype or add a particular word in Swype. To do that, do the following:
- Type the word you wish to add to the Swype dictionary.
- Highlight the word.
- Tap Swype button twice.
- Device will ask if you wish to add the word to its dictionary.
If this does not work for you, it could be a bug. Wait for an update from Swype or use Swiftkey instead.
Swype is not coming up as an option on my phone.
I selected default. It has only 2 options. Samsung Indian keyboard and Samsung keyboard. How do I enable Swype??
I believe the newer version of Samsung keyboard has the Swype feature built in. Select that as the default and then see if you can enable it in the keyboard settings. You can also install any number of Swype style keyboards from the Play Store. Among the best ones to get are Swiftkey and SlideIt keyboards.
Swype has disappeared from my Galaxy S4 after doing a firmware update today. Is this happening a lot, or do I have a problem?
Swype has disappeared from my Galaxy S4 after doing a firmware update today. Is this happening a lot, or do I have a problem?
After the software update, Swype was also removed from my keyboard, but it is not off your device fully being that I simply visited the options in my device and reset the feature as my default keyboard for use on my Samsung Galaxy S4.
Follow the steps below to be able to set the keyboard back up on your device for use:
-Go to Settings.
-Under my Device tab.
-Tap on Language and Input.
-Tap on Default.
-Select the Swype option.
-Revisit your messaging application to be able to start using the keyboard on your device messenger.
My mic is not on my keyboard so I can talk text on my Galaxy S4 active?
My mic is not on my keyboard so I can dictate text on my Galaxy S4 active
You can still do that as long as you've activated your microphone under settings as well as the talk text function. Normally, if you can't find it on your keyboard, it may be because you've assigned a different shortcut key for it. Check your settings and see which button you can press to access your microphone easily.
Since updating my Verizon S4 to the latest Android version, the whole screen goes an ugly green color when I open up the texting app.
Since updating my Verizon S4 to the latest Android version the whole screen goes an ugly green color when I open up the texting app.
Check and make sure your Swype theme hasn't changed.
Categories : Samsung Galaxy
Recent edits by: Nuance, jjaffer wilson, Razor