Set Up a PS3 Media Server
Edited by Yuliya, Eng
Hi, everyone. This is Sean from VisiHow, and this is going to be a video about the PlayStation 3's Media Server and how to set it up with the basic programs and tools that they already have in there, and also how to use programs through your computer that will also set it up as a media server, in case you have problems with wireless like I've often had, in which case often the tools and programs on the PS3 will not work perfectly well. I'm going to be showing this all in Windows 7 because that's what I have on my computer, so that's the main reason why.
- 5You can do that by going into Tasks on the bottom, and clicking on Media Libraries, which you'll probably need to do even if you've used it for other stuff.The next thing you need to do while you're still on your computer is open up Windows Media Center, and that's going to ask you to set it up if you've never done it before.
- 9Make sure you're connected to the internet, and you want to go to the same Settings area anyway. So on the far left of your PS3 is going to be the settings menu. You're going to have a bunch of different settings, like video settings and music settings. On the bottom of that is the Network Settings.The very last part of this setup is to go to your actual PS3, turn it on.
- 10And at the bottom is Media Server Connection. It's going to be Enabled or not enabled. Enable the media server and save all those settings, and then go out to the other menus of the PS3.In there you can check to make sure you're connected to the same wireless network that your computer is going to be connected to, because that's important.
- 12Then you can click on that and it should open up and show you whatever files you shared with those folders through Windows Media Center.Do that, and if everything went well, it'll say "one media server found," and an icon will pop up with whatever you named your media server on your PC when you were in your media streaming options earlier.
- 14What you want to do is open up your web browser and go to Google or Bing or whatever, and search for Universal Media Server, or just type in www.universalmediaserver.com It's just that straight address.Universal Media Server doesn't just work on PC, I'm just going to only show it for that because that's what I have - but it also works for Linux and Mac.
- 16If it doesn't do that for whatever reason, just scroll on over to that top menu that has Status Logs, General Configuration, Plugin Management. Go to Navigation and Share Settings.When you download it and install and open it up it's going to be similar to Windows Media Center, where it's going to ask you where you want to locate your files.
- 20One of those two options should work. If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask on the article and we will get back to you. Thank you for watching this VisiHow video!Between Universal Media Server and the PS3's own built-in media server, you should be set.Advertisement
Video: Set Up a PS3 Media Server
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Set Up a PS3 Media Server. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Jun 25, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Set_Up_a_PS3_Media_Server
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Set Up a PS3 Media Server." VisiHow, visihow.com/Set_Up_a_PS3_Media_Server Accessed 25 Jun 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Set Up a PS3 Media Server." Accessed Jun 25, 2017. http://visihow.com/Set_Up_a_PS3_Media_Server.
Categories : Gaming
Recent edits by: Yuliya