Set Up a Gmail Account on My Samsung Galaxy S5
Edited by Grimm, MsBarbs, Eng, Anonymous
Hi, you are watching VisiHow. Today, we are going to show you how to set up a Gmail (Google mail) account on your Samsung Galaxy S5 or your Samsung Galaxy S5 mini.
- 2Tap on the email icon.To get started we are going to tap the email icon, which may be on the far left side of the phone. If it isn't, you need to tap on 'apps' and email should show up in the list. If it still isn't there, you may need to go into your settings and scroll down to applications where you will find 'email'. When you tap on 'email', it will display a message asking if you would like to set up an email account. Click 'OK' if prompted.Advertisement
- 3Configure your account by entering the email address and password.This same screen will open regardless of which method you use to enter into the application. You need to enter your email address. I am going to use VisiOwl@gmail.com. I am going to enter my password off screen. If you have your own server you can use 'manual set up', I don't, so we are going to tap 'next'. At which point the application will check the incoming and outgoing server settings.
- 4Set the sync frequency.On the next screen, you are going to be able to set the period, schedule, and peak schedule synchronization options. Peak schedule is great for those of you who are power users. If you are rocking your email from 8 o'clock in the morning to 6 o'clock in the evening, you can set 'peak schedule' to check every 5 minutes within that period. When you clock-out or go home after 6 o'clock you can set the sync schedule option for every hour, every two hours, or you can turn it off. It is entirely up to you and you can change these later. We do have it set to synchronize email and to notify me when an email arrives. You can also have attachments downloaded automatically when you are connected to a WiFi network. We just put a 16 GB memory card in the phone, which you can see in our tutorial on how to install a memory card. Obviously, you could get a 128 GB memory card, which would allow you to do even more. Set each options sync frequency according to your liking, we are just going to leave it as it is, then tap 'next'.
- 5Name the account.It is going to process our data. When that is finished, the account will be set up and ready to send and receive emails a screen will be displayed asking you to name the account. This is optional. The next section shows your name as it will appear on outgoing messages. You can correct or change it. I am going to change mine to "Visi How". When you are finished, tap 'done'.
- 7Now we have the options to manage accounts, display how messages are set, set the default display, pick and choose priority senders, SPAM addresses, and delay email settings.Delayed email sending is something that you may want to do if for instance you are in the metro, on a train, on a bus, airplane, or anywhere else where you may not realistically be able to send email or even have a signal. You can compose and create the email, which will be saved on your phone, and you can delay the email sending for that. It is helpful in my opinion. We are going to tap on 'manage accounts'.
- 9Change settings.From this screen, you will be able to change the settings of your email account. As you can see, my signature is on, this is set as my default account, I can change the password, turn on or off notifications, and set it to vibrate. This is where I can change the sync settings if I want to later. I am going to change my signature.
- 10Change the signature.Once you tap on 'signature', you will see your signature. Mine says, "Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone". You can leave this if you want, but I am going to change it. By tapping on 'edit signature', it will allow me to erase the old message and enter a new one. I am going to put in "VisiHow.com See it. Do it.". That is our signature. Tap on 'done'.
- 11Change the account name.Now we are going to go back to the email address' settings screen by clicking on the back arrow. Once there we are going to tap on 'more settings' at the bottom of the screen. This will give you additional settings such as changing the account name, your name, CC/BCC yourself, security options, and the incoming and outgoing settings. I want to change the account name so I am going to tap on 'account name'. We are going to erase the old one and change it to Visi, that way I know that is me as I may add more accounts later. Tap 'OK' to save the new name and return to the 'more settings' screen.
- 13Check email.To check email press 'Inbox'. Now, the only thing in our inbox is the visi logo. I am going to show you what that is in our next video on how to set a background image on your desktop. Thanks for watching VisiHow. I hope that this tutorial has been helpful. We look forward to answering any questions you may have or providing additional information. Have a great day; and we will see you in our next video.Advertisement
Video: set up a Gmail account on my Samsung Galaxy S5
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : All About Samsung Galaxy S5
Recent edits by: Eng, MsBarbs, Grimm