Set Up Xbox One Smartglass
Edited by Batkingnz, Eng, Lynn
Xbox One SmartGlass is an application for the Xbox One and your compatible devices. It allows you to use Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, iOS and Android devices to control and interact with your Xbox One console. You can use Xbox One SmartGlass to:
- Control the home screens of the Xbox One, as well as certain applications.
- Use your compatible devices as a virtual mouse and keyboard for some applications on the Xbox One.
- Use your compatible devices as a media controller for apps such as Hulu and Netflix.
- SmartGlass will also work as a remote control for your set top box if you have connected it to your Xbox One.
- Browse the web using your compatible device and Internet Explorer on the Xbox One.
- Use your compatible device to launch in game companion apps for select games and apps.
What You Will Need
So SmartGlass is already installed on your Xbox One, but you want to start using it with your compatible device? This is what you will need to get stated.
- A Windows 8 compatible device such as a PC, Windows 8 Tablet or Windows RT Tablet.
- A compatible Windows Phone 8 device such as your Nokia Lumia or Samsung ATIV phone.
- A compatible Android device. This should be a smartphone, 7 inch or larger Tablet and it needs to be running Android version 4.0 or higher.
- An Apple iOS device. If you're using an iPod Touch, it should be 4th or 5th generation. Any iPad Mini will work, along with the iPad 2, 3 and 4. For iPhones you need to be using a 3 GS or later device.
- Your compatible devices will need a connection to the internet, preferably a fast WiFi connection for an optimal experience.
- Finally, you will of course need an Xbox One, connected to Xbox Live.
Installing the Software on Your Device
The installation is simple and painless. Just follow any of the links below from your respective device to begin installing the application. Follow the on screen prompts and accept any permissions that the application needs to run.
- Follow this link if you're running a Windows 8 or Windows RT Device.
- Follow this link if you're running a Windows Phone 8 Device.
- This link will let you install SmartGlass on your iOS compatible device.
- Follow this link to get set up on your Android compatible device.
Using SmartGlass With Your Xbox One
SmartGlass offers advanced interactivity features for many games and apps across the Xbox One. The experience will change depending on the game or app, but there's a quick and easy way to see which ones offer additional SmartGlass support.
- 1Look at the tile (icon) for the selected game or app.Advertisement
- 2SmartGlass compatibility is shown with a SmartGlass logo on the bottom right of the tile.Advertisement
- 3Check out this Youtube video from Viso games for a demonstration of some official Smartglass features.Advertisement
Tips, Tricks & Warnings
- SmartGlass works best with a fast network connection. That goes for your compatible device, as well as the Xbox One.
- SmartGlass and the Xbox One may not be available in all regions. Contact Microsoft for availability and release schedules.
- SmartGlass works differently for every app and game. Be sure to experiment with the app anytime that you see the SmartGlass logo.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Set Up Xbox One Smartglass. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 26, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Set_Up_Xbox_One_Smartglass
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Set Up Xbox One Smartglass." VisiHow, visihow.com/Set_Up_Xbox_One_Smartglass Accessed 26 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Set Up Xbox One Smartglass." Accessed Mar 26, 2017. http://visihow.com/Set_Up_Xbox_One_Smartglass.
Categories : XBOX
Recent edits by: Eng, Batkingnz