Sell a Used Car
Edited by Shelley, Eng
Selling a used car isn't as difficult as it might seem. Even if it's your first time, it is possible to sell your car fast and get the most money possible without a major hassle. Doing your research about market value, advertising and increasing the car's curb appeal can go a long way in creating a quick and easy sale.
How to Sell a Used Car
- 1Clean up the car.Advertisement
- 2Before selling the car, determine if it has any mechanical problems. You should repair small things like burnt-out lights or fuses and fill up the vehicle's fluids. If you aren't sure about the car's condition, take it to a mechanic to have the car inspected. Whether you want to fix the problems or sell the car as-is, you can show the potential buyers the report so they know what they're getting themselves into. Locate service and maintenance receipts so you can show the buyers that you took good care of the car.Consider mechanical problems.Advertisement
- 3Find your car's value.
- 4Decide how you'll advertise your car.
- 5Decide where you'll meet any potential buyers. If you don't feel comfortable meeting strangers at your home, you can arrange to meet them somewhere in a public place. Don't accept offers from or meet with people who sound suspicious. Once you do have a meeting set up, approach the potential buyers pleasantly and answer questions openly enough so that they feel comfortable with you. Allow them to test-drive the car and ride along with them, or bring a friend or family member if you feel more comfortable that way. If they want to go alone and you trust them enough, copy their driver's license information and agree upon a set time limit. Write down their cell phone number, as well. If they want to learn about the history of the vehicle, show them the service and maintenance records so they know that the car has been well-maintained.Meet the buyers.
- 6Negotiate for the maximum sale price.
- 7Close the deal.Advertisement
Tips, Tricks & Warnings
- If your car is in an undesirable condition, but you need to get rid of it quickly, consider selling it to a dealership. You might not get a good price, but they'll usually take the vehicle off your hands.
- Collect the payment and verify it BEFORE you transfer the title. Use your discretion to determine an acceptable form of payment.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Sell a Used Car. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 28, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Sell_a_Used_Car
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Sell a Used Car." VisiHow, visihow.com/Sell_a_Used_Car Accessed 28 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Sell a Used Car." Accessed Mar 28, 2017. http://visihow.com/Sell_a_Used_Car.
Categories : Automotive
Recent edits by: Shelley