Select Movies to Watch on a Movie Night
Edited by Angelique Siapian, Ronald Disney Magat, mahalia jovita b. bugasto, Doug Collins and 1 other
Bonding with someone, may it be your friends, family or special friend is way more awesome than bonding by yourself. I mean, get real, what are you going to do on a dull night? Of course reading is an option but come on! You don't really want to be labeled as a Socially phobic person, right? Another option is to watch a movie, but watching alone? Where's the fun in that? Go grab your neighbor or whomever you want to spend time sharing popcorn with and let's pick the best movies on your movie night.
Consider these factors
- 1Gender.Women love Romance, Men love Action. It's not passé, it's a fact. It's not stereotyping, it's a fact. Need I say more? To be perfectly honest, this is the major problem in finding out what to watch. Did you ever experience going out on a movie date with your girlfriend/boyfriend and then you found yourselves fighting over what to watch. FRUSTRATING! The sad part? You end up apart. True story. Kidding aside, the first thing you have to face is to consider the genders of the ones your joining a movie with.Advertisement
- 2Age."Oh, my baby brother can't watch this! It's too obscene!" said the adult that is you. Consider the age of your company. If it's an adult then by all means watch "Saw", "The hills have eyes", or any brutally gory movies you can imagine. If there's a child with you, think again. Don't scar the poor child's mind for the rest of his/her nights. Try watching Disney movies. Humor the child, you've been a child once.Advertisement
- 3Relationship.How are you related to your company? Is she your mother or girlfriend? Is he your brother or you boyfriend? Because naming your relationship is also a consideration with regards to choosing the right movies. You might want to try "Freaky Friday" for your mom-daughter bonding or "Big Daddy" for your dad-son bonding. If it's with your boyfriend or girlfriend, choose a romantic movie or take advantage of horror movies (much recommended for guys out there) to have a reason to cuddle. See me wink? ;)
- 4Time of the Day.When someone say "night" we still wonder what time of the day is "night" anyway aside from it being dark. Night may refer to late in the evening or early in the morning. So also consider the time. If you're going to watch "The Shining" at 1 in the morning, you might want to reconsider. The timing is also good to set the mood. It's up to you if you really want to watch creepy movies at 1 in the morning.
- 5Language.Let's face it, watching foreign movies is kind of cool but sometimes there are some expressions or traditions that you are not familiar with, thus making the story a little blur. If you don't want to read subtitles because instead of focusing in the good parts of the movie you are focusing on reading the subtitles, you might want to pick a movie that has the same language as you are using.
Steps on how to pick the right movies
- 1ASK.Don't assume. Sometimes the trouble starts when you don't ask. Be nice and start asking if they already have a movie in mind to watch. Jot it down until you have a list of good movies.Advertisement
- 2COMPROMISE.Since you already have the list of good movies (assuming you have copies of that movies), it's time to compromise. Let them know the movies you really want to watch have like a voting contest. The least voted movies should be debunked.
- 3MAJORITY WINS.Right now you have the best movies of you and your company's choice. What movie has the greatest votes? That movie has to be the first one you're going to watch with them so that everything's fair.
What are the choices anyway? (list of genres to choose)
- 1Action.This kind of genre involves a lot of physical action. It revolves around fist fighting, gun fighting, chases, explosions and the likes. The protagonist of the story usually has to prove something and will go to great lengths to achieve it. Examples are The Matrix, Commando, Die Hard and Mission Impossible.Advertisement
- 2Comedy.This kind of genre involves a lot of laughter and sarcasm. The main objective of this genre is to entertain the people through good story plot and characters. The protagonist of the story is usually ignorant of the way of the world. The humor starts from the character. Examples are American Pie, Ted, Shaun of the Dead and Scary Movie.
- 3Drama.This kind of genre involves emotions, too much emotions. Of course there are emotions involve in other genres but this genre elicit deep kind of emotions that make us want to cry. The story usually has troubled protagonist that deals with a great conflict with his/her self or other people. Majority of Drama movies are real life issues regarding family matters. Examples are The Virgin Suicides, Little Miss Sunshine, Slumdog Millionaire and Saving Private Ryan.
- 4Family.The word says it all. All ages can enjoy this genre. It's full of humor, adventure and sometimes animation. The story plot involves a child that wants to explore the world or other stuffs. At the end of the story, the audience will learn something good. Examples are Home Alone, Mary Poppins, E.T. and Up.
- 5Fantasy.This kind of genre involves imagination and fiction. It usually has magic, fairies, fiction worlds and supernatural events. The story has a fictional character that has magic or inert magic that he/she will eventually discover at the climax of the story. Examples are The Lord of the Rings, The Never Ending Story, Wizard of Oz and The Princess Bride.
- 6Horror.This kind of genre wants to give a scare to the people watching it. It's base on people's phobias. The most common kind of horror is those movies that have ugly monsters or schizophrenic persons who want to kill people. All horror movies have evil antagonists, may it be ghosts, zombies, beasts, wild animals and vampires (which are usually on romance movies and novels). This genre might give you a nightmare, BTW. Examples are The Shining, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Scream and Friday the 13th.
- 8Romance.This kind of genre aims the ladies. Women love romance or the idea of romance for that matter. The main ingredient is love plus two hopeless characters. The plot is simple, Boy meets Girl, Girl falls in love with the Boy (let's admit it. Girls fall first. FACT.), Boy refuses Girl, Girl walks away, Boy realizes he's in love with the Girl and thinks that it's too late (News Flash: In this genre too late is never TOO LATE), Boy and Girl meet again, Boy declaims his love for the Girl, Boy and Girl lived Happily Ever After. THE END. Roll credits. Examples are Love Story, The Notebook, The Vow, Pretty Woman and When Harry Met Sally.
- 9SciFi.Science Fiction is a genre that involves…*drum rolls* you got it right! SCIENCE! It tackles the future or some futuristic inventions that will change the earth for all eternity. Some futuristic inventions are robots, flying cars, time machine and any communication gadgets that may allow us to communicate with aliens. Examples are Star Trek, RoboCop, Planet of the Apes and Total Recall.Advertisement
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Travel & Leisure
Recent edits by: Doug Collins, mahalia jovita b. bugasto, Ronald Disney Magat