Save iPhone From Water Damage
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Charmed, Eng
Dropping your iPhone on a water can be one the worst feelings that one can get. What about the songs on it? The messages? The applications? The phone? The iPhone!!! These things may be screaming at the back of your head. Luckily, there is still a way with saving your iPhone from a potential water damage. Unlike most phones, iPhone battery cannot be easily removed so removing the battery (which is an important step in most phones) does not apply here. Check on the steps below on ways how to save your iPhone completely free from water damage. Though results may vary depending on the situation, following the steps below will ensure that you will have the best chance of saving your iPhone.
Immediately Do These After iPhone Water Contact
- 1This is very basic. You do not want to let your iPhone sit on the pool for a few minutes. The less time it is in contact with the water, the less possible water damage it can get.Get the phone off from the water source ASAP.Advertisement
- 2Shutting down the power on your phone will keep other parts from a short circuit.Turn off your iPhone immediately.Advertisement
- 3Disconnect any accessories attached to your iPhone (headphones, chargers, ports, USB cables, etc)
- 4To release moisture and water and to properly clean and dry up your phone.Remove any protective case on it.
- 5Put attention to possible places where water can enter like the audio output jack, charger and USB port, the hard buttons (power, volume up and volume down buttons), microphones and speakers. Get your iPhone dried up until you won't see any marks of water on it.Use a towel or any clothing or material that is capable of absorbing water to dry up your iPhone.
- 6If it is too big, you can use a toothpick (or any small and thin stick) and put cotton on it.Use Q-tips to absorb some water on the water entries of the phone.
Absorb All the Moisture From Your Phone
Now that you have turned off your phone and made sure that it is dry on the outside, you will have to make sure that no moisture will remain on it. Moisture can cause parts of the phone to malfunction or cause corrosion on the metallic parts. Silica gel packets are the best moisture-absorbing items and you may want to use them if they are available. They usually came with any box of new shoes. If you do not have one, a good alternative is rice.
Things You Will Need
- An air tight bag. A zip-lock bag will do.
- Silica gel packets. Generic rice (not enhanced with minerals)
How to do it
- 1Fill the air tight bag or the zip-lock bag with silica gels or rice depending on what is available to you.
- 2Make sure that it will be covered in whole by the silica packets or the rice.Put the iPhone into the bag.
- 3Make sure that there is a small air left. This is to allow moisture circulation within the bag.Shut the bag.
- 4Put the bag in a cool and dry place.
- 5Wait for two days to allow the silica packets or rice to absorb all the moisture trapped in your iPhone.
- 6After making sure that it has completely dried up, try to turn it on.After two days, remove the iPhone from your bag.
- 7If there was not much water damage on it, your iPhone should completely work fine without any complications.Advertisement
- If your luck has turned against you, you may notice that your phone may have one or all buttons malfunctioning, has a defective accessory port, or worse, may not have turned on at all.
- If this is the case, check if the Water Damage / Liquid Contact Sensors have turned red. If it has not, there is a high chance that you can have a replacement or a repair for free (if you are still within the warranty period)
- If the Water Damage / Liquid Contact Sensors has turned red, there is a small chance that you can get your repair for free nor get a replacement phone.
- The chances of saving your phone and the amount of damage it may get will depend on the severity of the water damage.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : IPhone
Recent edits by: Charmed, Leomar Umpad