Save a Laptop from Water Damage
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Charmed, Ephraim, Eng and 9 others
A little coffee spill on your Laptop may not affect anything at all. However, if you accidentally spilled your whole cup of coffee or water on your Laptop that would be another story, and it may be fatal to your device. We have outlined below the steps on how to prevent, or at least minimize, the damage you will have due to a spilled liquid on your Laptop.
- 1 General Steps
- 2 Save a Laptop from water damage using the rice method
- 3 What should you do if you accidentally spill liquid near electricity
- 4 Can I use a q-tip and alcohol to clean the internal parts of a Laptop?
- 5 Oil spill on Laptop - how long it takes to dry
- 6 Tips
7 Questions and Answers
- 7.1 What gets damaged when oil spills on the Laptop motherboard?
- 7.2 How many days after I can start my Laptop?
- 7.3 What do I prepare for when I turn my water-damaged Laptop back on?
- 7.4 Have you ever had success with the rice submerging method?
- 7.5 My wife's laptop is malfunctioning, is it permanent?
- 7.6 We are taking the bottom off of the Macbook pro, do we then remove the battery, dry it out and replace the bottom before putting it into the rice?
- 7.7 Can you get electrocuted when you spill water on your computer?
- 7.8 Can you tell me how to fix my Windows 10, it got wet by a water balloon, so I need help please?
- 7.9 Can the touchpad work after fluid has been spilled on it?
- 8 Comments
- 1Do not panic.Advertisement
- 2Cut off power supply on your Laptop.Advertisement
- 3Remove all accessories connected to your Laptop.
- 4Let it dry.
- 5Remove vital parts from your Laptop.
- 6Clean your Laptop.
- 7Put back the removed parts.
- 8Check for the extent of damage.
Do Not Panic
Your safety should be the top priority. This is the most important thing that you should note. When your Laptop has had water spilled on it, you need to act fast. Your presence of mind is needed in order to save your Laptop from further damage. Do not do anything that could endanger your life. Remember, liquid is a good electricity conductor, and you do not want to electrocute yourself.
Cut off power supply on your Laptop
- 1Immediately remove the battery as soon as your charger has been unplugged from the A/C outlet.Do not attempt to normally shut down your Laptop using the operating system's shutdown function, as it may delay the process.
- 2You should be careful, and the first thing that you need to do is disconnect the charger from your Laptop. Normally, you would simply unplug the A/C plug on your Laptop to cut-off the power supply. This is not advisable in this situation, as liquids may also be spilled on the area near the A/C adapter on your Laptop. It is recommended to remove the charger plug directly from the socket, as this place has the least amount of liquid on it (close to none with a normal spillage).The next most important thing that you should do is to shut down the device and cut off any power on to prevent your Laptop from being short-circuited.
- 3This is to completely turn off your device. The faster that you can remove the power and battery, the higher chances you will have of saving your Laptop from damages.Next, remove your Laptop battery.
Remove all accessories connected to your Laptop
After making sure that power supply is cut off, remove all accessories attached to your Laptop. These include any external mouse and keyboard, USB storage device, printer port cable and all cables and adapters attached to your device.
Let it dry
Make sure that you remove all the spilled liquids from your Laptop, and you can turn it upside down to prevent liquids from going down further into your device. After turning it over and making sure that gravity has done its part to remove the liquids, you may now proceed with wiping out any liquid trapped in your Laptop. You can use a lint-free cloth to clean your monitor, keyboard and all openings to your Laptop that may cause the liquid to enter into it. For hard to reach areas, you can use a Q-tip.
Remove vital parts from your Laptop
- 1Let a qualified person do this step if you have not ever done this before.Do not attempt to open your Laptop if you are not experienced with doing so.
- 2Always make sure that you properly insulate yourself from static discharge before opening the Laptop case.Remember, static charge will also damage your Laptop.
- 3Note that some drinks can be corrosive and may damage internal circuits and parts. The first thing that you want to remove is the hard drive. Check to see if it has any liquids on it and let it dry. Then remove all cards and drives that have signs of spillage.You need to disassemble your Laptop case in order to see if water has entered the internal areas of your device.
Clean your Laptop
- 1Without power on them, Laptop parts can sustain being wet. However do not overdo it. You should always make sure to keep the wetness minimal.Do not worry:
- 2If you do not have silica gel packs, a bowl of rice will do the trick.While drying your Laptop, put your battery, hard drive and card in a plastic bag with silica gel packs to remove all moisture from them.
- 3You can also use a blower to help you remove the residues.Remove any dry residue on your Laptop by using a toothbrush or a lint-free cloth. Make sure that you do this gently so as not to disturb the parts from their position.
- 4If other drinks have been spilled on it, you need to rinse your Laptop under a faucet to completely remove the residue on it. Follow that by rinsing with distilled water.If you spilled water on it, you need to rinse it with distilled water.
- 5If the spilled liquid is oil-based, rinsing it with water alone cannot remove it. Use a denatured alcohol to remove the oils and then rinse it under tap water before finishing with the distilled water.
- 6When you are done with cleaning, let it dry naturally up to two days.
Put back the removed parts
When drying is done, put back the parts together. Again, if you are not the one who removed the parts, have an experienced person do this for you. Double check for moisture and liquid presence on every part inserted to your Laptop.
Check for extent of damage
Now that your Laptop has been reassembled, check to see if there are any abnormalities. If there are, you have the option to just make do with it or have it fixed. If your device has not completely turned on, double check the connections and make sure that you have a working electric supply. After making sure that this is not a problem with loose connections or electric supply, bring your Laptop to a service center to be checked.
Save a Laptop from water damage using the rice method
- 1After getting your Laptop wet with any type of liquid, you must turn it off. Leaving the device on after getting it wet will allow the liquid to travel through the circuits of your Laptop, thus causing more damage to your Laptop. Shutting the Laptop off will help stop the process completely by shutting off all electrical current to the Laptop.Turn off your Laptop immediately.Advertisement
- 2Check it from the AC adapter to the wire plug itself to ensure that those connections will not cause an electrical shock surge to the Laptop when the Laptop is plugged in again.Dry all parts of the Laptop.
- 3You will need to later dry that component of the Laptop separately from the rest of the Laptop device. Pulling out the battery will also help, for the liquid may have gotten in the battery also. Some people actually leave the battery in during the rest of the process rather than drying the battery later, causing more issues when the device is powered back on.Pull out the battery.
- 4Do this before proceeding to the next step of this process. Only dry the things that are reachable so that you do not make a mistake, causing a piece of the paper towel or lint from a cloth to be captured in an area from which you cannot retrieve it out of the device.Use a paper towel to dry off all the excess liquid on the device.
- 5In order to allow the rice to soak out all the liquid in the Laptop. Take the battery and submerge it into rice separately, so that the rice can soak up the liquid from the battery.Submerge the computer into uncooked rice completely.
- 6This will ensure that all of the liquid is completely dried up, and your computer will be more likely to run smoothly.Leave the pieces of the Laptop submerged in rice for about two days.
- 7This way, you use only use the power from the chord to the computer which will ensure that you do not cause any damage to the battery or computer.Plug the Laptop in without utilizing the battery.
- 8In order to ensure that everything is running operationally, if it is not running perfectly, then you will need to consult a professional on the matter.Put your battery back into your computer.
What should you do if you accidentally spill liquid near electricity
This is a serious problem that everyone needs to pay attention to. There are two possible consequences that can arise from accidentally spilling liquid near all electric equipment: Electric shocks and short circuits -- and I am sure you don't want these to happen to you and to your beloved ones at home. Here are some IMPORTANT points that you must keep in mind if this happens.