Save Money on Vacation
Edited by MsBarbs, Grimm, Dougie, Eng
There are many ways to save money while enjoying a European or Hawaiian vacation with your family, and learning how to spend less on food or travel is just a start. This is important, because while many people look forward to their vacations, the expenses of a nice trip can sometimes leave couples feeling guilty, and even lead to arguments or hurt feelings.
Don't let this happen to you. Plan your vacation, and save money while you're at it. Remember that vacation is a coveted time of relaxation and fun, and you should enjoy it. Even though it can get expensive, a sound budget built around careful planning will help prevent any harm from overspending.
Ways to Save Money Before and During Your Vacation
Saving money on holiday starts before you leave, and should be a part of your entire trip.
Read on for tips to forgo post-vacation guilt by saving money before you go, and while you're there.
- 1Include vacation time in your monthly budget.Household budgets are a necessity if you want to save money. The same holds true for vacations. Budgets usually include expenses for entertainment, but you should also add vacation time to your monthly household budget. Keep this money separate from funds used for the monthly expenses. This may require creating a separate savings account or even adding the money each payday to a vacation fund jar. Budgeting for your vacation will allow you to stay within an affordable spending range and help forgo any post-vacation guilt.Advertisement
- 2Try to book in advance.Many places give discounts for booking in advance. When planning your vacation do so well in advance so that you can take advantage of these savings. Flights for example are usually cheaper if booked at least 3 months in advance and offer price reductions when flying during non-peak days.Advertisement
- 3Don't rush.Flights with longer layovers and multiple stops are cheaper. If you have a long layover, you can take advantage of the downtime by touring the area. Just make sure if you are out of the country you have all necessary visas. Taking a late bus to your destination could save you a night's hotel stay instead of flying. You will not mind the long ride if you are asleep.
- 5Take a vacation locally.Vacation does not have to be far from home. Most places have multiple attractions close by that you may not even know exist. Asking friends or doing an online search can lead to a variety of options to fill your schedule. Or you could always go camping. Camping is a great option that is also usually low cost. It is a family favorite for a reason.
- 7Ask about additional charges.When booking a hotel stay ask about additional charges. Hotels may charge extra for things like room service, phone calls, internet use, or morning papers. These charges usually vary from hotel to hotel. Where one may charge a fee for calling a taxi or shuttle, another may not. Often additional charges can really add up if you are not aware of them.
- 8Get a rental car for road trips.This may sound counter intuitive, but renting a car for road trips is often cheaper than using your own automobile. This is often because you can choose a car that gets better gas mileage. Another benefit to getting a rental is not worrying about any mechanical issues that may crop up both during and after your trip. If something were to happen during your trip most car rentals will promptly replace the car and you will be back to enjoying your vacation in no time.Advertisement
Tips and Suggestions for Saving Money on Vacation
There are a lot of little ways to save money too - you just need to look for them.
- Bring your own personal hygiene items. Never waste your money on the overpriced hotel sales store toothpaste or shampoo. Instead, bring your own, or buy it from a nearby pharmacy, Wal-Mart, or similar store.
- Never use the hotel room's mini-bar. Instead, walk across the street to the overpriced convenience store, and start saving money by paying 50% less than what you would have paid the hotel. Alternatively, visit a nearby department or grocery store, like Kroger or Safeway, and spend 75% less.
- Get a data or roaming plan with a WiFi Hotspot. Some hotels charge outrageous prices for internet, and most of the time the service is terrible. If you have a smartphone, like the BlackBerry Passport, iPhone 6, or Samsung S5, you can use your data plan to set up a WiFi Hotspot, and use it to connect to the internet for free.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Save Money on Vacation. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 23, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Save_Money_on_Vacation
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Save Money on Vacation." VisiHow, visihow.com/Save_Money_on_Vacation Accessed 23 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Save Money on Vacation." Accessed Mar 23, 2017. http://visihow.com/Save_Money_on_Vacation.
Categories : Financial
Recent edits by: Dougie, Grimm, MsBarbs