Save Money by Exercising at Home
Edited by estrella sacragon, Anonymous, Lynn, Eng and 1 other
Don't have the time to regularly visit the gym? Why don't you try exercising at home?
Physical fitness has to be convenient, simple and must not cost you an arm and a leg. Even if the best gyms around town promise you with the best intentions, everything still boils down to nothing, especially if you are too distant from the location, or they ask for very exorbitant fees. You may also lose the will to hit the gym if you don't have the right gears needed, or if you have no idea how to create a workout plan that you can religiously attend.
So below are exercise regimens that you can actually perform at home even with very limited space and with next to no gym equipment. Of course these won't help you achieve a to-die-for, Victoria's-Secret-angel-like body, but they can somehow help you achieve and maintain a sound exercise regimen for more healthy everyday living. But like what health professionals tell you, you have to go talk to your medical practitioner first before beginning a new exercise regimen.
- 1 How to Save Money by Exercising at Home
- 2 How to Lose Weight Using the Best Workouts
- 3 Tips on Using the Best Workouts
- 4 Important Things to Remember in order to Lose Weight Fast
- 5 Why You Should Try to Lose Weight
- 6 Dangers of Being Obese
- 7 Tips when Doing Special Exercises for Women Age 50 and Up
- 8 Exercises to Prevent Stress and Anxiety
- 9 Why You Should Try to Lose Weight Using the Best Exercises
- 10 Comments
How to Save Money by Exercising at Home
- 1Aerobic Exercises.With aerobic conditioning, this can be as easy as putting on some good music or turning on your TV and marching in stationary. If your fitness level and the amount of living space allow it, you can just try doing jump roping or jumping jacks. You can even jog in place, or take a hike up and down your flight of stairs, or do a couple of bounces on your mini trampoline. Your goal here is to work hard enough so you can get your heart rate up and keep it there for about 10 minutes. The secret? More is better! So try to shoot for 20 or even 30 minutes when you are just starting out.Advertisement
- 2Strength Training.For endurance and leg strength, experts recommend the wall sits. With this type of routine, you start by putting your back up against a wall, with both your feet on the floor and your knees 90-degrees bent. Hold that position for about 15 seconds, then repeat at least three times. After the 15-second holds get easy, try holding for 30 seconds. For a more dynamic strength training exercise, you can rise up and back down, with your back still against the wall, and start with three sets of 10 repetitions each set. You may also want to invest in an exercise band for a whole range of strength training routines. Exercise bands are made of very strong and extremely elastic balloon-like materials that come in different tensile strengths, thus giving you the opportunity to do practically everything, from shoulder presses to bicep curls, or rowing-like motions to strengthen your back and triceps muscles.Advertisement
- 3Good Endurance Exercises.These are exercises that include curls and push-ups. Your goal here is to simply condition your muscles so you can achieve longer working hours without tiring yourself too much. However, if push-ups are still quite a challenge for you, you can modify this routine, this time with your knees on the floor.
There are a lot of exercises you can do at home. Who says you can't get fit unless you drag yourself to your local gym? Exercising should be fun and a fulfilling experience that you can achieve even in the comforts of your home.
How to Lose Weight Using the Best Workouts
Being overweight has a long list of disadvantages. Your extra pounds could have a drastic effect on your lifestyle and relationships. Fortunately, it is not a hopeless case. You can always turn things around and start again in the right path. There are countless opportunities for you to solve your predicament. Your list of action plans should include losing weight. Actually, this would highly qualify as the most proactive and health-friendly approach you can take. However, losing weight is not as easy as it sounds to be. It will demand hard work, commitment, determination, time and attention from you. Your goal of shedding off a couple of pounds will also require support, encouragement and positive influence from people in your circle. Particularly in deciding to maintain a regular exercise routine, your motivation will play a crucial role. You could not afford to veer away from your target. Here is a rundown of other tips and reminders to keep you on track in your journey to a healthier and fitter you. When you apply these guidelines and complement your workout with healthy diet, you will soon be amazed with the results.
- 1Set a minimum of 45 minutes for your workout period.A workout that does not last 45 minutes or more will just be a waste of time. Weight loss can only be achieved by burning more calories than the amount you consume through food intake every day. Walking or jogging for 30 minutes will yield very minimal results. In fact, you may even end up frustrated and disappointed with the lack of improvement and progress in your weight loss campaign. Likewise, duration is not the only critical point of workout. Frequency is also crucial.Advertisement
- 2A workout that is consistently and regularly done at least 5 days a week would be good.Any routine less frequent than that will not achieve anything. Consequently, it is also not advisable to engage in a rigorous workout routine every day of the week. Your body also needs time to cool down. Be careful not to strain your muscles too much. Only walking is fit to be done daily.
- 3Practice interval training.Interval training has been noted to be very effective in boosting your metabolism and burning off extra pounds. Whatever specific type of exercise you have been regularly performing, interval training could be applied and integrated. Interval training involves alternating intense workouts with less intensive exercises. You can go running for a minute and jog for the next 30 seconds or so. Adjusting to the changes in speed and intensity will make your body work harder and burn more calories. In due time, you will see significant improvements in your weight.
- 4Combine cardio and strength training.Workout routines that integrate both cardio and strength training are twice as effective as routines that target one area only. Cardio exercises such as jogging can be complemented with strength training like lifting weights. Stimulation of more muscles will also trigger burning of more calories.
- 5Continuously challenge yourself.Do not lose the momentum. Keep track of your progress and always set your mindset on your goal. It is highly advisable to gradually increase the intensity of your routines so your body will not be complacent. Nevertheless, never rush losing weight. The safest target is to lose 1 to 2 pounds in a week.
- 6Of course, diet is most important.So, ditch the fad diets. Instead of getting gaga over fad diets that claim instant weight loss results, make long term changes instead. If you wish to lose weight, lower your blood pressure, increase your longevity and fight heart disease, over-the-counter weight loss pills just won't cut it. Instead, load yourself up with fruits and veggies. Go for whole grains, eat fish, drink your milk, and do regular exercise. The secret here is to start making small changes that will help you lead to a better lifestyle. Start living healthy now to increase your life longevity.
Tips on Using the Best Workouts
Weight loss is basically all about burning more calories from your body. But what is really the best way to do that? Any weight loss tip will tell you that you must first know and understand the basics of losing weight: exercising for weight loss, proper diet, and the right motivation. When you have all these three in mind, you can then easily create a specific weight loss program that works for you. Losing weight doesn't necessarily entail you to enroll at the gym. If the thought of squeezing yourself in a crowded gym full of equipment hoarders is something that bothers you, there are simpler and cheaper ways to stay fit. Thankfully, health experts say that it doesn't really matter where you work out. After all, it is what you are doing, and how often you do your exercising, that ensures you of an effective and beneficial workout. You can in fact get fit and do your exercise routines right at the comfort of your very own home, provided that you are up to the challenge. If you avoid those unnecessary phone calls, the noisy kids, or the television, you can set a schedule to achieve your weight and health goals without spending money on gym memberships and stability balls. So below are some exercises you can do at home to get you started.
- 1Squats.Standing tall, with both your feet at shoulder-width apart, with your hips lowered like you are sitting on a chair, slowly bend your knees, making sure both your thighs are parallel with the floor. Ensure that your knees do not go beyond your toes. Keep your chest up and try to maintain a straight look ahead. Stand up back to start with the basic position and repeat.Advertisement
- 2Triceps Push Ups.Start this exercise by placing your hand on the floor and keeping them under your shoulders. With your body held straight, bend your elbows closer to your body. Your chest must be lowered between your hands before you push back up going back to the starting position. If you are having some troubles completing a full push up, try playing your knees on the floor to make this a lot easier. To increase intensity, you may try raising your feet up onto elevated surfaces or stairs to increase difficulty.
- 3Skaters/ Leaps.As you start, position yourself into a semi-squat position and before you begin leaping sideways to land on your right foot. Push off immediately towards the opposite direction and land on your left foot. Make sure you do these skaters continuously to get your heart pumping.
- 4Plank Crawl.Start this routine in a push-up position with both your hands directly under your shoulders. Slowly lower yourself down, one arm at a time, into a plank position on your forearms, making sure that you keep your elbows directly under your shoulders. Once in the position, push back up one arm at a time into your starting position. Do this routine, alternating your arms, keeping an eye on your body throughout the movement. Losing weight may be a challenge especially when you are just starting. But once you get the hang of it, this can be a fairly good routine to help you get fit and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Important Things to Remember in order to Lose Weight Fast
Are you trying at your wit's end to lose weight but your bathroom scale doesn't even budge a bit? Everybody who is working on their weight loss probably want results fast! And while most people tend to go for over-the-counter diet pills that claim instant results, health experts say as much as you can, skip the fad diets. Yes you may get instant results but normally, the results don't last at all.
Thankfully, you have more healthy options these days, as far as losing weight quickly is concerned. With a healthy diet and lots of exercise, you can safely lose three or even more pounds at week. If you burn around five hundred more calories than you eat every single day for a week, expect to lose about one to two pounds within that time frame. But if you wish to lose weight faster, you may need to eat less and do more exercise.
For example, if your daily calorie intake ranges from 1,000 to 1,200 calories, and you exercise at least one hour a day, you can easily lose 3-5 pounds during the first week of your weight loss program. It is critically important to avoid cutting your calories any further as that can be dangerous.
You should also limit your starch and salt so you can lose more weight at first, although you will lose fluids and not body fat. Reducing sodium and cutting starches, your body reduces fluid and fluid retention. This can result to losing up to five pounds of fluid.
- 1Diet for Fast Weight Loss.Health experts recommend eating a diet that is lessens starches, added sugar and animal fat from dairy products and meat. For quick weight loss results, you can focus on fruits, veggies, egg white, skinless poultry breast, soy product, shellfish, fish, nonfat dairy food and 95% lean meat. Some of the most common diet tips from health experts include: eating vegetables to make you feel full, drinking plenty of water, getting tempting foods out of your fridge, staying busy so you don't want to eat just because you are bored, or eating only from a plate while seated, and never skipping on meals.
- 2You can also try keeping a food journal where you can write down everything you eat.That way, you can always keep track of your food and calorie intake. Taking down what you ate, and when, can also help you identify what you felt right before you ate them. Were you sad, bored or angry? Some people often focus too much on calories and food, not knowing that one's emotions hugely play a part of the eating habit.
- 3If you notice a constant pattern in your emotional eating, you might want to consider talking to your counselor about it.That way, you can be guided in finding ways on how to handle your emotions, and eventually skip the emotional eating syndrome. Losing weight quickly can be achieved even without those quick fad diet and pills. You can still lose your weight rapidly the healthy way. Learn from the tips above provided by health experts.
Why You Should Try to Lose Weight
Over the past years, everything has become very clear that weight is a very important health issue. While some people who are advised to lose weight for health reasons don't really recognize the importance of proper weight management, ironically there are also some who do not need to shed off some pounds but still hope to lose weight to get thinner for cosmetic reasons. One must understand that in some other ways, your weight is far different from, say for instance, your blood pressure or your cholesterol level, because you really cannot see what these levels are just by looking at someone. There are some patients with health care providers that approach their client's weight in less-than-sensitive or helpful manners. There are also some who had health care encounters where they often get blamed, but generally not helped. This is one of the reasons why until now, people look at successful weight management as a long-term challenge.
- 1Losing weight can help you improve your self confidence.Without the right weight, a person's self-esteem can be greatly affected. Too much weight that is highly visible can evoke powerful reactions unfairly from other people. For you to be able to lose excess weight, you must have the attitude that will help you in losing weight and maintaining it.
- 2Setting the Right Goals.Setting the right and proper goal is the most important step. Almost all people who try to lose weight tend to focus to only one goal: weight loss. But you should understand that the most productive parts to focus on weight loss include your dietary and physical activity changes that will eventually lead you to long-term weight changes. Your weight loss goals should be composed of three important considerations: the goals must be specific, attainable (doable) and forgiving (less than perfect). When you say you should "exercise more", that is a great goal, but not specific. Telling yourself to "walk ten mile a day" is specific and measurable, but do you think it is doable especially if you are just starting out? "Walking twenty minutes daily" is more attainable. But what will you do if you get too caught up with work one day, or there is a huge thunderstorm during your walking routine the next day? Essentially, "walking thirty minutes, at least five days a week" is somewhat a goal that is specific, doable and forgiving. Meaning to say, the goal is great especially for a starter.
- 3Nothing Succeeds like Success.Getting in shape is a behavioral challenge where you choose a several short term objectives that will eventually get you closer to your main goal. One concrete sample is having an initial reduction fat intake from forty percent of calories, then thirty-five, and later to thirty. This approach is based on the concept that "nothing succeeds like success". Getting in shape involves two behavioral principles: the successive goals that will help you move ahead in baby steps to reach a distant point, and the consecutive rewards you keep for the overall effort you invigorated.
Dangers of Being Obese
There is an alarming increase of people getting obese. In fact, health experts say that more than sixty-five million adults and ten million children suffer from obesity—a health problem considered as one of the leading causes of fatal diseases. Becoming morbidly obese can greatly compromise your health, shorten your life span, and even cause you death. Overweight people have high risks of developing heart diseases, high blood pressure, and diabetes. Needless to say, being obese is fatally dangerous. Here are some of the most common obesity-related diseases that people should be aware of.
- 1High Blood Pressure.This is the number one cause of death among Americans who are older than 25. Records show that there are approximately seventy-five million people all around the world suffering from hypertension or high blood pressure which is a primary risk factor for heart diseases. One's blood pressure tends to increase with age and weight gain. It is clearly not known why obesity plays a major role in high blood pressure but there have been some researches that show how obese patients display a significant increase in blood volume and arterial resistance. Thus, obese people with high blood pressure must try to lose at least 8 pounds to help reduce their blood pressure.
- 2Diabetes.Obesity is known as one of the many significant factors in the formation of insulin resistance which can then lead to type 2 Diabetes. The World Health Organization said that more than ninety percent of diabetes patients have type 2 Diabetes. Being obese or overweight can greatly contribute to the formation of diabetes by making the body's cells to become more resistant to insulin effect. If you are overweight and scared of developing diabetes, you must try to drop off weight about 15-20 pounds to help you reduce your risk of having this dreaded disease.
- 3Heart Disease.The American Heart Association said the obesity is a risk factor for the development of coronary heart disease, that when left untreated, can lead to strokes or heart attacks. Overweight people are at risk of suffering heart attacks before they turn 45, while obese adolescents have greater chances of heart attacks before they hit 35.
- 4High Cholesterol Levels.When one has high levels of cholesterol, he is at risk of having heart attacks. Cholesterol is generally transported via your blood in two ways: the LDL or low-density lipoprotein that transports cholesterols towards the cells that need them, and the HDL or high-density lipoprotein, the healthy cholesterol that helps reduce the risk for heart attacks. People with high levels of LDL are at greater risks of having heart disease by 20 percent.
- 5Cancer.One study conducted by the American Heart Association resulted that when one is overweight, it increases his chances of developing cancer by about fifty percent. Women who are twenty pounds overweight are at risk of cancer, according to the study. But with proper weight loss and regular exercise, one can significantly decrease their risk of having cancer.
Being obese has many health risks. To avoid health complications, nothing beats living a healthy lifestyle with regular diet and proper exercise.
Tips when Doing Special Exercises for Women Age 50 and Up
It's amazing to see women age 50 and up getting more health conscious
despite their age. If you have already taken your very first step into getting physically fit for the sole purpose of improving your health through exercise, congratulations for that. And while some women are just getting the hang of their exercise routines, others may find it hard to realize that their work-out routines feel like these are really not working for them.
If you are one of the hundreds of women still thinking about what to do with your exercise routine, maybe you just don't understand the importance of looking into the finer points of your exercise. So here are some exercise tips that you can easily follow that are easy to incorporate with your routine.
- 1Check out your sneakers.Whether you will be running on the treadmill or pounding on the pavement, you have to start with the basic steps of keeping sure that you have the right pair of sneakers to get you started. In most cases, people do not replace their old sneakers often enough (ideally, every three months of frequent use), or they just don't get the perfect pair in the first place. In finding the best pair of sneakers, it is helpful that you go for the pairs suited to the task. This means you should go for running shoes if you are always on a treadmill or on the road, but you can opt for cross trainers if you are confined in gym workouts.
- 2Know the Importance of Warming Up and Cooling Down.When people age, their bodies do not easily start up or tone down that easily because the different bodily systems take a much longer time to "boot up". Ideally, start your routine with a 5-minute warmup to get the blood flowing properly and achieve more relaxed tendons. After every workout, the muscles tend to get warmer, everything somehow becomes looser, and thus the muscles stretch more easily. In women 50 years and older, stretching can increase your flexibility.
- 3Avoid Turning Up the Volume.When you exercise and the need for TV, audiobooks, or music is necessary while you do your exercise, always remember to keep your music's volume at a moderate level. Directly putting sound into your ears can greatly increase your risk of damaging your tiny and delicate hair cells — the ones responsible for your body's sound registration. If you have loss of hearing or you don't properly protect your ears, you'll just end up doing nothing but negating all the good exercises you have done.
- 4Keep a Regular Schedule.With all the other important things you have on mind, you might find it hard to block 45-60 minutes of your time. Therefore, you have to include your workout and treat it as it is just as important as anything you do in your office. After you make your exercise routines a regular part of your weekly routine, you will eventually start to feel like something is terribly missing if you do not work out. Remember, exercise is one simple habit that you love to do. So try to at least make it a slightly-addictive weekly routine.
Exercises to Prevent Stress and Anxiety
If you are caught up with too much stress from work, and you live a very hectic lifestyle, chances are, you might end up getting burned-out. It is very important that you bring yourself back into balance. With so many things to think about and so many deadlines to finish, you might end up realizing that you never have the luxury of time to relax anymore.
Always remember that the very first key to staying healthy is to manage your stress. If you believe you don't have enough time to unwind, here are some stress-relieving tips that can help you get through a pretty rough workday.
- 1Meditate.Even for just a few minutes in a day, meditating can effectively help you ease your anxiety away. According to one psychologist who has done extensive research on stress management, daily meditation has proven to alter your brain's neural pathways. When this happens, you are making yourself more resilient to stress. Meditation is simple. You sit up straight, with both your feet on the floor. And with your eyes closed, you focus your attention into reciting a positive mantra like "I love myself". You can do this either loudly or silently.
- 2Deep Breathing.When you are too stressed at work, give yourself a break —even for just five minutes. Do nothing and free yourself from thinking about the things that has been bothering you. Instead, try to focus your attention on your breathing. With hands on your belly as you sit up straight and with your eyes closed, inhale slowly through your nose. Make sure you feel the breath start in your abdomen, then slowly work your breathing to the top of your head. Do the whole process as you slowly exhale through your mouth. With proper deep breathing, you are slowly countering the negative effects by lowering your blood pressure and slowing your heart rate.
- 3Listen to your Body.When you mentally scan your body, you are able to get a keen sense of how your daily stresses are affecting you by the day. When listening to your body, start by lying on your back or sitting with your feet flat on the floor. Start feeling with your toes, wiggling them together, as you slowly work y our way up to your scalp, keeping a close eye on how your body feels. The key here is to be aware of the places that you feel loose or tight, without even trying to change anything significant. For about two straight minutes, imagine all the deep breathing that flows to your body. Continue doing the whole process as you start to focus up your body.
- 4Reach Out.One of the best ways to deal with too much stress from work is to have a solid social support system. Find the time to talk to your friends personally, or at least, on the phone. You might be surprised at how much you will feel better when you try to reach out to your friends, especially when you are in a tight situation.
- 5Try to avoid getting yourself too caught up with all the daily hassles at work.Keep stress and anxiety away by doing the above-mentioned mental exercises.
Why You Should Try to Lose Weight Using the Best Exercises
For most people who decide to shed off a few pounds, the social pressure of maintaining an hour-glass or a hunky figure tops the list of motives. However, losing weight is not just about fitting into smaller-sized clothes. Weight loss goes beyond its aesthetic benefits. There are a lot of other areas of one's life that could be dramatically and positively affected by losing weight. Regardless of how big or how small your weight loss will be, positive changes and improvements in your health and lifestyle are to be expected.
- 1Endurance for exercise and physical activities.Certainly, exercise has been part of your secret to shedding off a few pounds. However, with a heavy weight, the exercises you could endure would be limited. Likewise, everybody has their favorite physical activity. You may have been craving to go wall climbing or climb the towering mountain in your area. With your previous size and weight, you may have been deprived of the fun that these activities could have given you. Since you already have a healthier weight, you no longer have to decline opportunities to participate in these activities. When someone invites you for a mountain hike, make sure you do not miss this out.
- 2Cuts off your budget for food and drinks.Surely, one of the habits you have developed throughout your weight loss struggle is limiting your food and drink intake. Avoiding junk foods and sodas could already give you huge savings. During the obese or overweight phase of your life, you may have found it hard to resist the temptation of eating and eating endlessly. This could have led to an overshoot in your food expense budget. The savings you get from the cut in your food consumption could be allocated to other more important and necessary expenses.
- 3Intensifies sexual drive.A better and healthier weight gives you a more intense sexual appetite. Studies would show that testosterone levels of people who weigh lower or higher than usual are lower than people with just the average weight. In fact, studies would specifically point out that people who weigh 30 pounds more than what is normal for their age and height had sexual drives comparable to people 10 years older.
- 4Makes you more sociable.As your figure or size becomes more socially acceptable, your self-confidence also improves. Most individuals prefer hanging out with fit and healthy people. Since you now have the energy to join social activities, you can gain new friends. There would be no point avoiding social events and ceremonies anymore. You can be there at your best. You have definitely observed that people who joined more social activities such as events and sports have more friends and are more popular.
- 5Makes you an agent of influence.Certainly, other people in your circle have seen the positive improvements in your life after your successful weight loss. You could also be an agent of positive influence. Your story on how weight loss has changed your life for the better could inspire others in your circle to also jump in the bandwagon. If you could lose weight, then, they should not lose hope, too. They might even ask you for tips. Plus, you could support their decision to shift to a healthier lifestyle by bringing them healthy foods and joining them in their workout routines.Advertisement
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.