Run Another Operating System Simultaneously with Windows 7 using VirtualBox
Edited by Michael J., Alma
Planning to migrate to a new operating system but too sentimental to let go of your dear Windows 7 just yet? Virtualization is exactly what could quench your dilemma. And VirtualBox is one of the best in this department.
VirtualBox allows you to experience the best of both worlds without the need to reformat your PC or even buy an extra set. This article brings to you in full detail the steps of running another operating system side-by-side with Windows 7 through a virtual machine.
- Download the Latest VirtualBox version. VirtualBox is licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2. It is available for free download at http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads.
- After Downloading, Run the VirtualBox installer. The setup wizard will present you with several options for customizing your VirtualBox installation, just click on "Next" in each stage. This will install VirtualBox with its default settings which is the ideal way in most cases.
When a Network Interface warning displays, just click "Yes" and proceed.
- Create a Virtual Hard Drive. In the hard drive creation stage, it is recommended to just go with the default values and proceed to the next steps.
- Click on the Start icon to start your virtual machine. The machine obviously doesn't have an operating system installed yet so it doesn't do anything apart from asking you which drive to boot from.
- Specify the location of your operating system installer. Go to Devices > CD/DVD Devices and choose the appropriate option
- If you have a DVD of the installer, then select the letter of your DVD drive.
- But if you only have an ISO copy stored in your PC, you must select "Choose a Virtual CD/DVD disk file.." and browse to the location of the ISO file.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Run Another Operating System Simultaneously with Windows 7 using VirtualBox. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 24, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Run_Another_Operating_System_Simultaneously_with_Windows_7_using_VirtualBox
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Run Another Operating System Simultaneously with Windows 7 using VirtualBox." VisiHow, visihow.com/Run_Another_Operating_System_Simultaneously_with_Windows_7_using_VirtualBox Accessed 24 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Run Another Operating System Simultaneously with Windows 7 using VirtualBox." Accessed Mar 24, 2017. http://visihow.com/Run_Another_Operating_System_Simultaneously_with_Windows_7_using_VirtualBox.
Categories : Windows
Recent edits by: Michael J.