Rock a Plain Maxi Skirt
Edited by Jan Margery Castillo, Robbi, Eng, Graeme and 2 others
Maxi skirts are classic pieces that many ladies are wary to try on. The "it suits her well but it will never work for me" attitude may hinder you from sporting what could be an all-time subtly sexy, but not overly showy outfit. One of the excuses girls use for not trying on a maxi skirt is insecurity. It's important to understand, that like jeans and a jacket, a maxi skirt is also a staple fashion piece that works well in any season, and can be worn either to dress down or dress up. You need to convince yourself first that you too, can rock this style. So start planning a skirt shopping trip, because this article will help you learn how to pull off a maxi skirt in many stylistic ways.
- 1 About Maxi Skirts
- 2 Types of Maxi Skirts
- 3 Can anyone sport a Maxi Skirt?
- 4 Wear Maxi Skirts According to Your Style
- 5 Practical Tips When Buying a Maxi Skirt
- 6 Comments
About Maxi Skirts
A maxi skirt is a long skirt that streamlines down to the ankles. It can be made from different soft and lightweight fabrics. The trend of the maxi skirt dates back to the late 1970s. There was a Feminist movement that aimed to empower women and one of their campaigns was to wear a long garment to avoid sexual objectivity. This fashion also came about to defy the miniskirts fad of the counterculture in the 1960s. They wore the narrow type maxi skirt that shows the shape of the upper legs. Then in the 2000s, the penchant for this long type of skirt came back, for good! Designers today have been reviving vintage fashion, which explains why you see so many celebrities rocking a fashionable maxi skirt as casual wear or evening wear.
Before hitting the shops for a new maxi skirt, you need to know the basics first. There are different lengths, cuts, hemlines, fabrics and forms of maxi skirts. Most especially, you need to know what design, color, or cut will suit your body type most.
Types of Maxi Skirts
Each variety of maxi skirt has its own unique style, but all of them are comfortable to wear.
- 1This is also called a Bohemian Skirt or Peasant Skirt. It's made with different soft and patterned fabrics sewn together to form a several tiers. The patterns used are bold and eye-catching because Bohemians are naturally artistic. It has a wide hem, making it very flowy. Some gypsy skirts on the market today are also made of solid colors with ruffles at the hem.Gypsy.Advertisement
- 2This is a full-length skirt with a very wide hem. It may be patterned or solid.A-Line.Advertisement
- 3Of all the maxi skirts types, this one is the most form-fitting. It shows the shape of the hips and thighs and it gives a long and sexy look way down the legs. It is usually made of polyester, stretch jersey and stretch velvet.Column.
- 4Unlike the Column Skirt, this skirt is a bit looser, but it is not as flowing as the Gypsy Skirt or A-Line skirt. Several pieces of cloth of the same fabric are sewn together to created a tiered look.Tiered.
- All maxi skirts are comfortable to wear, since the fabrics used are soft and lightweight. Most maxis are made from;
- Stretch jersey.
- Stretch velvet.
- Other maxi skirts to are made of cotton-spandex blends making the waistline part stretchable and perfect for pregnant women.
- In the seventies, the inseams of blue jeans were taken apart, and a triangular panel of denim or other fabric was sewn to the inseams to create a beautiful hippie maxi skirt. Often, the fabric was embroidered or appliqués of butterflies and peace signs were sewn onto the skirt.
Different Maxi Lengths
The regular length available on the market today is 52-58 inches, measured from waist down. This is the safe length for the average height.
- 1It usually falls down to the top of your shoes or ankle. This is the most popular length, as it looks good on anyone of any height.Ankle Length.
- 2This ends at the mid-calf section of your legs.Mid-Calf Length.
- Ladies who are very tall can easily pull off this look, and often, due to their height, because sometimes, they can't find a skirt long enough to go past their ankles.
- If you're calves are a bit on the chunky side, avoid this length, as it brings focus to them.
- If aren't very tall, this isn't your best choice. The longer the skirt is, the taller it will make you look.
- 3This is a bit daring, as it exposes your front legs while the hem at the back is longer. This type of maxi-skirt enables you to walk more comfortably. It puts a lot of focus on your legs.High-Low Skirt.
- 4The hemline of this type of skirt reaches the floor. It is a bit difficult to walk with this because you'll need to carry the hem up to your knees if you don't want to get the bottom of your skirt dirty or trip on it.Floor Length.
- 5More like something you'd wear for your wedding or to the Academy Awards, this skirt is usually floor length at the front, with often several feet of fabric dragging behind you. This skirt takes great skill to pull off, both the look, and the logistics. Not only are you in danger of tripping on your on skirt, there is a likelihood that someone else will step on the train, and as you take the next step, you'll be jerked backward, which will totally defeat the look of glamour you're trying for.Skirt with a train.
Can anyone sport a Maxi Skirt?
The answer is a resounding yes! Maxi skirts are not just for tall and skinny model-like figures. If you think you are too petite or too chubby for a maxi skirt, you are totally wrong. All you need is to learn how to choose the right form, color, length and how to style it. Here are some guidelines on how to rock a maxi skirt for different body types.
- 1This skirt will make you make you look slender. The high waist will give an illusion that you have longer legs.High-Waist Maxi.Advertisement
- 2Opt for slim or narrow skirts instead.Avoid wearing a bulky skirt because too much volume will make you look shorter.
- 3Choose a skirt length that reaches just across your ankles because a floor length skirt will make you look smaller.
- 4It is advisable to wear a tucked-in top or a cropped top that stops just above the waistline.
- 5Wear heels or wedges to cope with the length of the skirt.
Tall and Lean Women
- 1The goal is to add shape to your slender body. An A-line skirt, Gypsy skirt or Tiered skirt suits you best.Wear voluminous types of maxi skirts.
- 2Choose loud and rounder patterns, such as floral prints, paisley, polka dot or tie-dye prints.Avoid vertical stripe patterns because it will only make you look longer.
- 3You may also pair skirts with a slouchy top but check the mirror to see if it looks good on you.It's fine to add some layers such as a vest, belt, and/or long blazer.
Full Hourglass Figure
- 1Choose solid colors instead.Avoid loud prints because this will contain too many attention catching elements.
- 2A floor length maxi would be a good choice for you.
- 3Use a belt to emphasize your curves.
- 1The objective is to draw the attention to your upper body.Choose a high waist skirt and cinch it with a belt.
- 2Avoid volume and loud patterns too.A-line style would be a perfect fit to balance your full-bottomed figure.
Inverted Triangle-Shaped Ladies
- 1Choose long flowy skirts such as A-Line, Gypsy or Tiered Skirts.Draw attention to your lower body by wearing bulky or voluminous skirts.
- 2Loud patterns and other attention-seeking prints are the best option to even out your broad top frame.
- 3Usually, this body time has small hips and big boobs. A column or pencil skirt is best, but make sure you wear a loose top, or box jacket with this skirt.As a inverted triangle shaped women, I disagree.
Rectangle Shaped Women
- 1Wear a maxi skirt around your lower waist, and choose a dropped or asymmetrical style.
- 2Avoid horizontal stripes too because it will only emphasize your straightness.
- 3Rounder patterns such as floral, polka dot or animal prints are best for this body type to create an illusion of curves.
- 1The maxi skirt should be worn just around the waist because you need to draw the attention away from your tummy.
- 2Choose a skirt that is not voluminous because it will make you look bigger.
- 3Solid tops in dark hues are a better option.
Wear Maxi Skirts According to Your Style
Maxi skirts can be worn on casual, semi-casual, or formal occasions. It's versatile and you can wear it in many different ways, according to your style.
For a Sophisticated Look
- 2This is a very polished and elegant look.Wear it higher than the waist, then tuck in your top.
- 3The skirt draws much attention because of its texture, so wear a simple tee and metallic flats.Pleated maxi skirts are so chic and feminine.
- 4You can pair a maxi skirt with a collared sleeveless or long sleeved shirt, as long as you tuck it in. Add a belt for a more sophisticated look.Collared top.
- 5Wear pumps for a more classy look.
- 6This is not too revealing and the fabric is richer.Instead of choosing a sheer skirt, opt for an opaque fabric.
- 7For slim streamline skirts, pair them with a striped top and a statement necklace for evening wear.
- 8Combine a buttoned up shirt, vest and a boyfriend's blazer with a solid maxi skirt.
- 9You can also wear a belt over a peplum top.When wearing a silk skirt, choose a metallic belt for a sleek finish.
For a Casual Look
- 1A leather belt would be a good choice for cotton skirts.Use a belt with a high waist maxi skirt.
- 2An off-the-shoulder top can be worn with a lightweight jersey skirt.
- 3Pair a maxi skirt with an oversized shirt, knotted in front or on the side.
- 4A bustier or tube top creates a balanced and sexy appeal when worn with a maxi.
- 5A denim vest is a very versatile piece.A cropped vest makes you look longer.
- 6With a pleated or chiffon maxi, you may wear a buttoned up shirt for a chic look.
- 7You may also use a backless ballet top for a unique outfit.
- 8Pair a solid top with a printed or floral skirt, or vice versa.
- 9A flowing skirt should be paired with a snug top, while a loose top can be paired with a narrow bottomed skirt.
- 10Dressy skirt and blouse, with a jean jacket and a pair of Docs.Mix it up.
Practical Tips When Buying a Maxi Skirt
- 1Walk in each one and see how well it suits you. Avoid buying online because you don't know if a certain fit will look good on you.Try on different types of maxi skirts before buying.
- 2Do not tuck in a top if you think that it's going to create a slight bulge.
- 3If you are not comfortable walking in a maxi skirt, you may try one that has a split on one or both sides, or in the back.
- 4Wear flats or heels instead.Never wear boots, loafers or sneakers with a maxi skirt because it's going make you look frumpy.
- 5The texture of the top need not be the same as the skirt, but they should be complementary.
- 6Solid colors or monochrome gives you that elegant and slimming look.Advertisement
Always remember that a maxi skirt is not limited to women with perfect figures. Anyone can strut it with the right pieces. Know your body type and try mixing and matching different tops and accessories.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Fashion
Recent edits by: Lynn, Graeme, Eng