Roast Spaghetti Squash
Edited by Jolie Aimee, Maria, Graeme, Robbi and 2 others
Spaghetti Squash is a great substitute for traditional spaghetti noodles AND it's a great alternative to white and wheat noodles. These instructions will teach you the simplest way to prepare spaghetti squash, using only three ingredients: Olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste; and tools you likely have in your kitchen already: A large sharp knife, fork, spoon, cutting board, tin foil or flat baking tray.
It also includes suggested sauce recipes such as vegetarian bolognese sauce and herb white sauce.
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C)Advertisement
- 2Cut your squash in half, lengthwise.
- 3Scoop out all seeds with a spoon.
- 4Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to season.
- 5Bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until the husk of the squash is golden brown.Place on tin foil or baking tray.
- 6It will fall apart like short spaghetti noodles.Scrape the meat of the squash out with a fork.
- 7Serve with any kind of sauce or alone as a side.
Veggie Bolognese Sauce
- 12 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oilAdvertisement
- 21 medium white onion, minced
- 33 cloves of garlic, minced
- 41 ready-made (store bought - bottled) bolognese sauce
- 51 can veggie burger (Veg-e-Burger)
- 6Salt and pepper to taste
- 7Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1In a pan, heat oil on medium heat.
- 2Saute the minced onion first, and after it starts to change color, add in the minced garlic.
- 3Cook until the burger changes color. Stir continuously for 2 to 3 minutes.Drop in the Veg-e-Burger.
- 4Give a quick stir to incorporate the sauce into the burger. Then let it simmer for about 10 minutes or until it is on a full simmer.Add in the ready-made bolognese sauce.
- 5Season with salt and pepper to taste.
White Sauce with Parsley
- 12 tablespoons of butter
- 22 tablespoons of flour or more (to thicken)
- 3Salt and pepper to taste
- 41 cup whole milk
- 5Few stalks of parsley, chopped
- 1Melt the butter in a sauce pan over low heat.
- 2Add the flour, salt, pepper and milk, and mix together.
- 3Bring to a full boil.
- 4Simmer for another 3 minutes.Add in the chopped parsley and stir until well blended.
- 5Season with salt and pepper if needed.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Cut the cap and the bottom of the squash off so it rests flat on your cutting board. This will make it easier to chop in half.
- Add a little garlic or curry powder to your seasoning for a flavorful kick!
- Cut the squash in half horizontally to get longer spaghetti Squash noodles.
- You can substitute Veg-e-Burger with beef.
- If you want a creamier white sauce, use half and half instead of whole milk.
- If the white sauce is too thick, add more milk. If too think add more flour.
Note: Photos above are just sample brands of the ingredients. This does not mean that the same brands are needed in preparing this recipe. You can always change things according to your preferences.
The pictures are just sample photos on how to execute a certain procedure.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Meats & Main Dishes
Recent edits by: Rafah Perlado, Robbi, Graeme