Reuse an Artificial Christmas Tree
Edited by Maria, Eng
Artificial Christmas Trees appear in recycling websites and thrift stores by the droves at the start of the Holiday Season. Each year it seems there is a better lighting option or new color style introduced which has people buying new trees and junking their old ones. The cost of garland can be outrageous, especially if you are looking for a full appearance. Thrift stores have artificial trees for less than half what it would cost for new garland. With just a few items and some imagination, you can have Christmas decor that will wow neighbors and friends.
- Artificial Christmas Tree
- Glue Gun
- Ornaments or embellishments of your choice
- 1Lay out all the branches from your tree.Arrange them from larges to smallest. Depending on the tree, you can use the smaller branches to fill in thin spots or attach them together to make one longer branch.Advertisement
- 2Put your embellishments/ornaments on the assembled branches and do not glue them down just yet.Create your look with the embellishments/ornaments you chose. This is the time to situate the ornaments and take a step back so that you can see if there are any blank areas that need to be filled. If you are planning on putting these outdoors, you need to use plastic ornaments.Advertisement
- 3Using your glue gun, apply glue to a portion of the ornament and press it down on the branch for about 15 seconds.You want to glue around any loose items on your ornaments before your attach them. Once you have completed, go around and tug on the items you glued down to make sure there are no weak points.
- 4If you would like to use the top of the tree you can put it in an ornamental pot.This top of the tree has the ornaments glued down to avoid wind damage. Make sure to weight down the bottom of the pot if the pot is plastic so that the tree does not topple over. A few rocks or bricks placed in the bottom would do the trick.Advertisement
The images from this article are from one small 5 foot tree. To attach the garland/swag to the porch, you can use zip ties so that you can use the branches every year.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.