Restore Lost Brightness Control app in ASUS Laptops After Updating for Microsoft Windows 7 vs 10
Edited by Eng, Innocent Yogo, Lynn, Alma and 19 others
Do you own an ASUS Laptop, and after updating, you found that you cannot control the Brightness of the Screen, and pressing (Fn+ Brightness Up/Down) does not work anymore? This VisiHow will teach you how to "Fix Lost Brightness Control". Pressing Fn + Brightness UP-Down does not work in ASUS Laptops with Windows 7 OS after an update. Here is how to restore that functionality:
- 1 For other brands like Dell, Lenovo, HP
- 2 How to Use the App
- 2.1 Questions and Answers
- 2.2 Comments
For other brands like Dell, Lenovo, HP
Method 1: for Microsoft Windows 7
- 1Press the Windows Icon.Advertisement
- 2Right Click on Computer Menu Item.Advertisement
- 4Now you are in the "Computer Management" window.
- 6There you will find PnP-Monitor Standard, (or any monitor other than Generic PnP Monitor, Right Click it.
How to Use the App
Do you have a problem using the Brightness Control app in your ASUS Laptop even after restoring its functionality? If you follow these simple procedures, you will see that it's very easy to use.
- 1The LCD backlight power can be controlled by pressing the system icon.
- 2Press the system/class/backlight/ ASUS Laptop.
- 3From the above setups, you will be able to control the brightness values that range from 0 to 15 to your desired brightness.
- 4Always follow the same steps to use the app to change the brightness any time you need a different display.
Method 2: for Microsoft Windows 10
For the newly released Windows 10, you can also follow this.
- 2From the shown list, select "Device Manager" (Marked in orange).
- 4Follow the above steps 6-10.
Questions and Answers
My Laptop has become very bright?
The entire screen has become white.
Please do the following to fix this issue on your Laptop.
- If you have just formatted your Laptop, please make sure that your monitor and display drivers are installed properly. Check your Device Manager for missing drivers. Please follow the steps listed above on how to do it. If Windows is unable to download your missing drivers, you can download from here. http://support.asus.com/ServiceHome.aspx?SLanguage=en
- After ensuring that your drivers are installed properly, please proceed with the next steps.
- Adjust your screen's brightness by pressing Fn+F5.
I have a problem with the brightness on my HP Pavillion G7 Laptop. Please, can you advise me how to fix the problem?
Please can you advise me to fix the problem?
If you want to adjust the brightness on almost any Laptop, you need to change the power settings. The display on a Laptop goes dim to conserve energy. Most likely go to the task bar and click the battery icon. It should give you an option to adjust the performance settings. If it is not there, it should give you an option to go into the power settings menu. Here you can set the brightness for the Laptop when it's plugged in or unplugged.
See more questions like this: Actually I have an HP Pavilion laptop and the function keys won't dim or brighten
Cannot see screen/icon of the Windows logo
If you do not see the Windows logo on your computer screen, most likely your Laptop is Windows 8 and has not yet been upgraded to Windows 8.1. Normally, a Windows based operating system has their logo as a clickable option to go to your computer settings and do some changes and upgrade. Due to the added features available on Windows, they want it to be similar to their Windows phone. Most owners are having problems when they lack this feature. There are a lot of places you can go to, or open the Computer Management/ Device Manager on your computer to check if the drivers are okay, or update the drivers manually. Here are the steps on how to access it on a Windows 8 computer:
- 1If you are currently on the desktop screen, just drag the mouse cursor to the lower left on the screen and click the Charm.Go to your Computer's Charm Menu.
- 2It looks like a magnifying glass.Once you have the Charm menu on your computer screen, point the cursor to the right side of the screen then click on Search.
- 3Type "Control Panel" in the search, then click the control panel listed from the search you made.
- 4Look for the option that says System and Security click on it.In the control panel, you will be able to see the Control Panel menu, which shows you more options.
- 5From there, you will see Device Manager on the screen where you can check your computer's drivers and so on.On the System and Security menu, click on System, and then on the left hand side, click on Device Manager.
Another way to get your Device Manager on screen is by going to the Desktop on your computer. This is the easiest way to access the Device Manager or should I say the short cut:
- 1If your computer is displaying the Charm Menu, click the Desktop on screen.
- 2Instead of clicking the Search, click the Settings.From the desktop on screen, hover the mouse cursor to the right hand side of the screen.
- 3Click the PC Info and there you have the Windows 8 Device manager on screen again. Click it to launch menu up, and do the actions you need to do.From the Settings, you will see a list of options on the screen.
Did you know you can bring back the Windows Start Menu on screen? You can create your own Windows Start Menu Tool bar, which lets you access your own programs the way you normally would on other Windows based computers. Or you can install a third party program for your start menu on a Windows 8 Operating System Computer. See the steps below:
- 1If you do not know how you may check the steps below on how you can show hidden files.Make sure your hidden files are being enabled on the computer.
- 2Right click on the Pop up menu. Click the Toolbars then click the New Toolbar.Go to the Desktop on your computer then to the Taskbar.
- 3On the pop up window, browse the Drive C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows - then hit the Start Menu on the screen and select the folder.
After following the steps, you will have your Windows 8 Start Menu on your computer screen where you can complete the usual tasks, especially if you have problems restoring the brightness on your computer screen. Other ways to get the Start Menu on your computer screen is by installing 3rd party program like Start 8, ViStart 8 and Classic Shell. You may check their links below:
Classic Shell: http://www.classicshell.net/
Here is how you enable your Hidden Files:
- 1On your Windows 8 computer, launch My Computer or Windows Explorer.
- 2On Windows Explorer or My Computer, click the View tab, then click on Options.
- 3From the options, From the View Tab select "Show hidden files and folders" then click Apply and OK.Advertisement
It did not restore the brightness on my Computer. What should I do?
The above steps are the solution for your ASUS Laptop brightness issue after the update on your computer. If the steps did not work for you, try to restart your computer and boot into Safe Mode and try the steps again. Hopefully, this will resolve the problems you're having. Another thing you can try is a System Restore on your computer. You might lose some files by performing a System Restore. Restore your computer to a date before the issues showed up. This should restore the brightness back to your computer screen.
If the suggested steps did not resolve the problem, there are combination keys that you can press to perform shortcuts to adjust brightness and so on. Most laptops (including some models of ASUS) have these keys. Look for the Fn button and check your Laptop keys, as they have sub options for you to adjust some settings, such as volume or the brightness.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Tech
Recent edits by: Gajendra Mp, Nuance, Pennysto