Reset a lost hotmail password
Edited by Fabian John Andan, Lynn, Christine dela Cruz, Julia Moliere
If you forgot your Hotmail password, or you want to change your password on your Hotmail account, follow these steps on how to change/reset your Hotmail password.
Follow these steps
- 1Turn on your computer.Advertisement
- 2Open your web browser and go to your Hotmail web siteAdvertisement
- 10Check your email, and see if the reset link is received.
- 11Then click on the link to set a new password.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- If you weren't able to receive the reset link, do the steps again.
- Simply follow the pictures above.
How to Keep Your Email Safe from Unauthorized Access
- 1Passwords are supposed to be known only by you. Avoid sharing accounts with another person, even if you trust that person. Also, do not write down your usernames and passwords in a document, especially if that document is not password enabled. Some people also like noting and saving their usernames and passwords on their smartphone notepad for easy reference in case they forget. While this is very convenient, it is also very risky, especially when you lose your phone and you do not have a strong pass-code lock. As much as possible, just memorize your password.Do not share your password to anyone.Advertisement
- 2These are the most common numbers that people use. Hackers can easily guess this based on your information. Therefore, choose more unique combinations. It is even better if you can combine letters and numbers and upper case and lower case when making your password. Most email sites these days require these types of combinations as well, mainly because unauthorized access has been very common and hackers are becoming more and more clever.Avoid using very predictable passwords like birthdays and anniversaries.
- 3If you keep the same password for a long time and for some reason it has leaked out, it will be easier for hackers to access it. Therefore, change it so that even if there is a password leak, they won't be able to use it eventually.Change your password from time to time.
- 4If one of your accounts gets hacked, they will be able to access your other accounts as well if you use the same password. This is especially the case for alternate email addresses that you use for account retrieval. As much as possible, keep their passwords totally separate because if the hacker is clever enough, they can use the "forget password" option to hack both of those accounts.Do not use the same password for different email accounts.
- 5There are various email hackers nowadays who would imitate your email provider and pretend that they are asking you to make some adjustments on your account. Before trusting any of these, assess the email address from which the email came from. Also, do not click links especially when it contains unusual characters. If there are any huge changes that come from your service provider, normally there will be official announcement and not some random email like that.Do not trust emails that tell you you need to make changes on your account.
- 6If you are on public WiFi without any passwords, refrain from accessing your account if you can. These types of networks are very easy to penetrate and therefore your login information can be stolen.Do not access your account if you are not sure of the security of your connection.Advertisement
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Reset a lost hotmail password. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 27, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Reset_a_lost_hotmail_password
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Reset a lost hotmail password." VisiHow, visihow.com/Reset_a_lost_hotmail_password Accessed 27 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Reset a lost hotmail password." Accessed Mar 27, 2017. http://visihow.com/Reset_a_lost_hotmail_password.
Categories : Websites
Recent edits by: Christine dela Cruz, Lynn, Fabian John Andan