Repurpose Old Suitcases Into Side Tables
Edited by Emmanuel M. Lardizabal, Robbi, Eng, Lynn and 3 others
Most of us have in the attic one or two old suitcases that we do not use anymore, we can re-purpose that into a good quality homemade side table. Yes, that's possible, so there's no more waste. We can reuse things and turn items that we are not using anymore into useful things.
- 1Gather all the materials needed:Advertisement
- Old suitcase.
- 4 rounded woods of the same length, these can have design or be plain. You can also use posts from an old fence that you might have. Sand those poles, polish them and/or paint them with colors that fit your intended location.
- Nails (preferably small ones).
- Paint or polisher.
- Cloth or towel to wipe the suitcase.
- 2Clean the suitcase with the cloth.Advertisement
- 3Get the four rounded wood pieces or poles, which will serve as the stand of the suitcase.
- 4Position each pole at a corner on the outside of the suitcase.
- 5Get the hammer and nails.
- 6Start hammering the nails into the suitcase directed to the wood pieces placed outside.
- 7Hammer the nails until the suitcase is attached to the rounded wood.
- 8Repeat step 7 until you have finished attaching the remaining rounded wood pieces.
- 9Wipe the suitcase again to clean the dirt caused by nailing on the rounded wood pieces.
- 10Get the paint or polisher and the brush.
- 11Start painting or polishing the suitcase, as well as the four rounded woods.
- 12Wait until the suitcase table is dry, and you can use it for its new purpose.And that is what is called "Re-purposing".
Tips and Warnings
- You can also use different decorations for your suitcase side table in order for it to more look beautiful.
- Be careful while using the hammer and nails.
- It may be better to remove the wheels (if any), as that can be rather distracting, especially if you are repurposing your suitcase sideways and the wheels are all exposed on the side.
- You would still need to do maintenance of your suitcase from time to time, the same way that you would take care of your suitcase while you are still using it. This should be even more the case if you are repurposing a leather suitcase because it can get old over time.
The Beauty Behind Repurposed Old Suitcases
- 1You are capturing some good memories with your trip.A suitcase is difficult to throw away, even when it's already broken or cannot be used anymore, because of the many memories that it actually contains. Every trip is memorable and you would not want to let go of anything that is associated with that. Therefore, a repurposed old suitcase will always help in preserving your travel memories. Also, when you have it at home, it may be a good conversation starting point with your guests. You may also want to decorate it with some photos of your trip so it double functions as a photo collage and not just a side table.Advertisement
- 2You are able to recycle great materials.Suitcases are usually built with excellent materials, mainly because it is expected to carry heavy stuff and tough ways of handling. Therefore, if in case some parts are broken, such as the handle or the base, the rest of the materials will not be in equally bad condition. In most cases, only the smaller parts are non-functional, yet you still have the full structure in a good condition. Repairing it may be rather costly, especially if the warranty has already lapsed. Therefore, instead of just throwing something away because some small parts are non-functional, you are able to make it into another unit that is equally functional and valuable. This is especially the case if your suitcase utilizes really good leather or metal.
- 3You have something unique at home.Repurposing an old suitcase does not only maximize some great materials, you are also making something unique for your house. This is especially the case if you have really thought well about the design. Also, adding a personal touch will help a lot in coming up with something unique. You may want to attach other significant materials in your life, such as photos and other accessories that represent particular memories. In most cases, you should not be rushing to finish your repurposing. Do it in phases so that you are able to carefully think about it and add unique details.Advertisement
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Repurposing Crafts
Recent edits by: Christine dela Cruz, Graeme, Lynn