Repurpose Old Suitcases Into Side Tables
Edited by Emmanuel M. Lardizabal, Robbi, Eng, Lynn and 4 others
Most of us have one or two old suitcases in the attic that we don't use anymore. Waste not – want not. This article will show you how you can re-purpose old suitcases into unique homemade side tables. It's up to all of us to reuse things and turn idle items into useful things.
The Beauty Behind Repurposed Old Suitcases
- 1A suitcase is difficult to throw away, even when it's broken or so old it never had wheels. Even though you don't use it anymore, there are so many memories contained within. Every trip is memorable and understandably, you're having trouble letting go of anything attached to those memories. By repurposing your old suitcase, you'll not only create a stylish side table, but you will preserve your travel memories. It will become the focus of your room, a great icebreaker or conversation piece. You're guests will love it. You may also want to decorate it with some photos of your trip so it double functions as a photo collage and not just a side table. You might also consider putting decals on the suitcase/table, from every place you've travelled to.You are capturing some good memories from your trip.Advertisement
- 2Suitcases are usually built with excellent materials, mainly because it is expected to carry heavy stuff and deal with a lot of mishandling. Even if in cased, parts are broken, such as the handle or the base, the rest of the materials will not be in equally bad condition. In most cases, only the smaller parts are non-functional, yet you still have the full structure in good condition. How lucky for you if your suitcase is made from good leather or metal.You are able to recycle great materials.Advertisement
- 3Repurposing an old suitcase does not only maximize some great materials, you are also making something unique for your house. This is especially the case if you have really thought out the design. Also, adding personal touches will help a lot in coming up with something unique. Take your time and make it beautiful. Maybe some day, your granddaughter will having it her first apartment, telling her friends all about it.You have something unique at home.
Steps to Making a Side Table From Your Old Suitcase
- 1Gather all the materials needed:Advertisement
- Old suitcase.
- 4 rounded woods of the same length. These can have designs or be plain. You can also use posts from an old fence that you might have. Sand those poles, polish them and/or paint them with colors that fit your decor.
- Nails (preferably small ones).
- Paint or lacquer.
- Cloth or towel to wipe the suitcase.
- 2Clean the suitcase with the cloth.
- 3Get the four rounded wood pieces or poles, which will serve as the stand for the suitcase.
- 4Position each pole at a corner on the outside of the suitcase.
- 5Get the hammer and nails.
- 6Start hammering the nails into the suitcase directed to the wood pieces placed outside.
- 7Hammer the nails until the suitcase is attached to the rounded wood.
- 8Repeat step 7 until you have finished attaching the remaining rounded wood pieces.
- 9Wipe the suitcase again to clean the dirt caused by hammering the nails.
- 10Get the paint or lacquer and the brush.
- 11Start painting or lacquering the suitcase, as well as the wood.
- 12And that is what is called "Re-purposing".Wait until the suitcase table is dry, and you can use it for its new purpose.Advertisement
Tips, Ideas and Warnings
- You can also use different decorations for your suitcase side table in order for it to more look beautiful.
- Be careful while using the hammer and nails.
- It may be better to remove the wheels (if any), as that can be rather distracting, especially if you are repurposing your suitcase sideways and the wheels are all exposed on the side.
- You would still need to do maintenance of your suitcase from time to time, the same way that you would take care of your suitcase while you are still using it. This should be even more the case if you are repurposing a leather suitcase because it can get old over time. Really good tip – Vaseline rubbed into leather breathes new life into it.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Repurpose Old Suitcases Into Side Tables. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 29, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Repurpose_Old_Suitcases_Into_Side_Tables
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Repurpose Old Suitcases Into Side Tables." VisiHow, visihow.com/Repurpose_Old_Suitcases_Into_Side_Tables Accessed 29 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Repurpose Old Suitcases Into Side Tables." Accessed Apr 29, 2017. http://visihow.com/Repurpose_Old_Suitcases_Into_Side_Tables.
Categories : Repurposing Crafts
Recent edits by: Jen M, Christine dela Cruz, Graeme