Repair a Puncture in a Bike Tire Inner Tube
Edited by Thor, Crystal, Eng, Inukshuk
Hello and welcome to VisiHow. Today I'm going to show you how to repair a puncture in an inner tube in a mountain bike, BMX, or touring bike.
- 2To do this you can put the inner tube in a bowl of water. The bubbles will reveal where the puncture is. If you don't have a bowl of water, or you're on the road and this happens while you're cycling, then inflating the tire and searching for the hole is your other alternative.Once the tire is inflated, you're going to search for the puncture.Advertisement
- 3If you cannot hear the air escaping but think there may be a hole, you can take some saliva and rub it over the potential hole. This would make a sound, and bubbles would also appear.Once the tire is inflated, you can sometimes hear the air escaping from the hole, you can put your finger over it and feel the air escaping.
- 4The first thing to do is to take your puncture repair kit, and mark the hole using chalk or a crayon, because when the glue is put on the hole may become invisible. To do this, make a mark along the horizontal axis and the vertical axis with the hole being in the center, where the lines cross, that indicates where the hole is.Now that you've found the hole, we need to repair it.
- 6This way the patch will stick all the way around and not come undone at the edges. We are going to leave the glue for a minute or so to dry. We do not want it to dry completely, but enough that when the patch is applied it sticks instantly.Once that is done, we're going to take some puncture repair glue, and we're going to make a large patch of glue, larger than then patch that we're going to put on.
- 8We're going to place the patch over the hole and squeeze the rubber and the patch together. Hold that for a couple minutes, making sure you're squeezing each area of the patch, applying firm pressure to ensure each area is stuck on equally and there are no gaps for air to escape.The next stage is to take the patch from your puncture repair kit, choosing the correct size for the hole.
- 12You've been watching VisiHow. Goodbye.This is how to repair a puncture in an inner tube.Advertisement
Video: Repair a Bike Tire Puncture
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Repair a Bike Tire Puncture. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 24, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Repair_a_Bike_Tire_Puncture
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Repair a Bike Tire Puncture." VisiHow, visihow.com/Repair_a_Bike_Tire_Puncture Accessed 24 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Repair a Bike Tire Puncture." Accessed May 24, 2017. http://visihow.com/Repair_a_Bike_Tire_Puncture.
Categories : Bikes & Motorcycles
Recent edits by: Eng, Crystal, Thor