Remove Split Ends
Edited by Saira, Eulalee, Lynn, Eng and 7 others
Developing split ends is a common issue for people with long hair. Split ends occur for many reasons, but are especially prevalent when you heat-style your hair regularly, avoid getting it trimmed, brush it roughly or treat it with color, bleach or other chemicals . When the ends split, they form two or more separate ends. The hair will become brittle and dry at those sites, which results in an unhealthy appearance.
The best and only way to completely remove split ends is to cut off the hair. However, since not everyone wants to chop their locks off, you can take small sections of the hair, twist it around your index finger, and the unruly split ends will surface. You can then cut off the tips where the hair actually splits. Just remove the split ends and you can keep your long locks.
Prevention is better than cure. To keep hair properly nourished and soft, and prevent split ends from occurring, it helps to use a dense conditioner, but that is not the only preventative measure available.
- 1 Instructions
- 2 Causes of Split Ends
- 3 Washing and Styling Tips for Damaged Hair
- 4 Tips, Tricks & Warnings
- 5 Questions and Answers
- 6 Comments
- 1Blow drying and straightening damage the hair quite a lot. Use heat styling methods only when absolutely necessary, and always use heat-protective serums or sprays before applying heat.Decrease the use of heat on your hair.Advertisement
- 2The recommended time is every six to eight weeks. Trim up to an inch to keep your hair healthy and strong.To prevent split ends, you should also trim hair ends regularly.Advertisement
- 3These products will coat the hair shaft, making your ends look better, but they don't actually reverse the damage. They might, however, help prevent some future damage to your healthy hair.Products claiming to be able to get rid hair of split ends aren't really reliable.
- 4Hot oil massages are especially effective.Another way to nourish your hair and prevent split ends is regularly applying leave-in conditioners and oil to your hair.
- 5Also, remember to use a good quality shampoo and a conditioner that adds nourishment to your hair.A combination of all these methods will decrease your split-end problems and prevent further damage to your hair.
Causes of Split Ends
Trichoptilosis or Schizotrichia otherwise known as split ends occur due because of the following:
- 1Excessive heatAdvertisement
- Curling irons
- Hair dryer/blower
- Straightening iron
- 2Mechanical stress
- Combing tangled hair forcefully
- Combing hair too frequently
- Brushing wet hair instead of combing
- 3Not trimming the hair on a regular basis
- 4Damage caused by chemical processing
- Perm, hair color and straightening treatments strip the protective layering off the outside of the hair's shaft, and weaken the hair, thus making the hair cuticle prone to split ends.
- 5Poor quality brushes and combs
- 6Brittleness caused by over-exposure to sun, washing and heated styling
- 7Split ends can be a symptom of copper transport disorders like Menkes disease and occipital horn syndrome.
Washing and Styling Tips for Damaged Hair
If you find yourself with split ends and dry hair, it's possible that you're shampooing too often. If you shampoo every day, try cutting back to once every other day or even every three days. Every time you shampoo, you are stripping your hair strands of natural oil and leaving them dried out. This leads to breakage and split ends. Try this method to reduce the appearance of any split ends you currently have and prevent any new ones.
- 1Rinse your hair prior to shampooing to loosen the dirt.Advertisement
- 2Make sure the lather reaches the ends where split ends are.Massage shampoo into your scalp using your fingertips, not your nails.
Proper conditioning is one of the most important things you can do to prevent split ends. Proper conditioning keeps your hair hydrated and healthy, so it's less prone to damage and stress every day from UV rays, brushing, combing styling and pollutants.
- 1If you have dry hair, use moisturizing conditioner and apply it through your hair from root to end. If you have oily roots, use a lighter formula and apply it from the middle of the hair shaft down to the ends. Avoid applying it at the roots.Always follow up your shampoo with conditioner designed for your hair type.
- 2Follow up your conditioner with a cold-water rinse to flatten down the cuticle of the hair shafts and make your hair look shinier.
- 3Try a leave-in conditioner to help detangle your hair and smooth out any split ends.
- 4Use a deep conditioner or hair treatment mask once a week to help prevent split ends.
Combing and Brushing Tips
- 1Avoid rubbing your hair too much with a towel. This aggravates split ends.Dry blot your hair lightly with a towel before combing.
- 2Comb your hair in the shower before rinsing out the conditioner.If you have curly hair, be much gentler.
- 3Avoid using a hairbrush.Comb and detangle strands using a wide-toothed comb.
- 4This prevents ripping your hair and breaking it.Brush hair starting at the ends and work your way up.
Blow Drying Tips
- 1Use them only if it is needed.Avoid hot tools when possible.
- 2Let your hair air-dry until it is barely damp to lessen the amount of time under the blow dryer.
- 3Always use a heat protectant spray, serum or cream before heat styling to protect your hair from damage.
- 4If you hair dryer has a "cool" setting, use it after your hair is completely dry to smooth out the strands and set your style.
Hair Cutting Tip
- 1This can dramatically thwart split ends while sustaining the long beautiful healthy portion of the hair.For proper maintenance, have a trim every four to six weeks to remove the annoying dry, damaged hair ends the earlier they split.Advertisement
Tips, Tricks & Warnings
- Chlorine, usually added to swimming pools to keep them clean, may damage hair and cause split ends, but you can lessen the effects by always wearing a swimming cap while swimming. You can also try swimming shampoo designed to remove chlorine and reduce the drying effects on your hair.
- Your hair will absorb less chemicals if you rinse it with regular water before swimming.
- It is also a good idea to rinse your hair after swimming and follow up with some swimming shampoo, which is designed to rid the hair of chlorine before it has the chance to do too much damage.
Questions and Answers
How to Prevent Split Ends Hair?
You can't entirely prevent split ends, but you can do some things to protect your hair against breakage from the roots up to the hair shaft. One of the main things you should do is trim your hair regularly, especially if you are prone to or already have split ends. In fact, the best way to prevent split ends from coming back is by cutting them off every month or so. If you ignore split ends, the hair shaft will split more.
Moisturizing shampoos and rinse-out conditioners can help moisturize your hair. Dryness can cause split ends, so you may want to replace your old harsh shampoos and conditioners with moisturizing hair products. When rinsing your hair, use cool water to seal the outer layer of your hair. After taking a shower, do not towel dry your hair. Instead, let it air dry to avoid split ends. Also, a wide-tooth comb is preferable, as it can reduce hair breakage. You can also use shine serum hair products to cover the split ends, making them become shiny and not as obvious in the daylight. Apply the serum at the bottom of your hair where your split ends are and then glide it to the hair shaft, so that it will look sleek throughout the day.
Avoid heating appliances like curling irons and hair straighteners, if possible. These can dry your hair and cause it to split. Rubber bands and other fancy hair accessories will also damage your hair, so avoid them as well.
Too much brushing can cause hair to split, because it destroys the epidermis in your skin, which will result in split ends. Only comb your hair when it is wet because then it can stretch up to 25 percent. Cut back on brushing or combing your hair when it is dry. This will just worsen the current condition of your hair.
Do not dye your hair. If you do so, you may want to apply some hair protection products to your hair before and after dying, in order to avoid a lot more hair breakage. However, if possible, do not use hair color, especially if you have split ends.
The last, but not the least important, prevention is your lifestyle. Add healthy fats to your diet, such as fish oil and olive oil. These are good for your hair. As a matter of fact, your diet greatly affects your hair. If you are healthy, your hair is usually also the same.
You should check into getting a shampoo that repairs damaged hair. But ultimately no matter what you do, split ends will eventually happen, and you will eventually need to get them trimmed.
Can you singe hair to help seal split ends?
Hair singeing is a process in which hair practitioners burn the wet end or tip of the hair using a candle or other method. Other methods might involve using a thin piece of wood with an ember on the end to be touched at the tip of the hair. Singeing is believed to prevent the fluid in the hair from escaping. In this process, you not only remove frayed and dry ends, but also smoothly taper the tip of the hair. However, there is no scientific basis for this practice. The hair doesn't not contain fluid or oil. The hair structure above the skin layer is a spine horn. Blood plasma is only in the hair root. There is no scientific evidence that singeing hair has any effect on the growth or that it helps to prevent split ends.
No this will not seal the split ends. Once split ends appear you have to just remove them. The excess heat can your hair to dry out and make them worse. There are shampoos to help prevent getting them in the first place.
I ignored my split ends, and one day I was shocked because my split ends got higher. What is the best solution to this hair problem?
What is the best solution to this hair problem?
Split ends gradually worsen and extend higher up along the hair shaft if they're not dealt with right away. If you want to completely get rid of them, have your hair trimmed to at least 1/4 inch above the split areas. If you just want to improve the appearance of your hair without getting it cut, you can try a split end repair treatment, deep conditioning mask or hot oil treatment to help smooth out the ends. Apply some shine serum or spray to the ends while styling to reduce the frazzled appearance, and avoid roughly brushing your hair to prevent new breaks and splits.
Do men with short hair have split ends?
Less than 3 inches in height?. I have tried: Haircuts and conditioner. I think it was caused by: Sleeping with gel in hair
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Categories : Beauty & Aesthetics
Recent edits by: Shelley, Dougie, nitesh