Relieve the Hot Flashes of Menopause with Sage
Edited by Geraldin Carniyan, Eng, Lynn
A hot flash is a sudden feeling of heat in the body that makes someone sweat and look red. This usually occurs with women undergoing the menopausal stage and lasts for 30 seconds to a few minutes. Although the cause of hot flashing hasn't been fully determined yet, it has been concluded that this symptom may be caused by hormonal changes in a woman's body during the menopausal stage. This article is going to help you relieve hot flashes using leaves of sage, which is a known medicinal plant.
Benefits of sage leaves for menopausal stage
- 1For skin inflammation, this can be applied directly to the affected area.Sage leaves have good anti inflammatory effects, which help treat stomach and skin inflammation.Advertisement
- 2Respiratory problems like congestion and asthma can also be relieved by sage leaves, by inhaling its extract vapor.Advertisement
- 3Sage is also a good antioxidant that helps flush toxins and prevent future sickness.
- 4Ethereal oil, which is its active component, regulates sweating so it will be normalized.Excessive sweating and night sweats due to hot flashes during the menopausal stage can also be relieved by sage leaves.
- 5Experiments have been done worldwide that showed people having a better memory after taking sage capsules as a supplement.Sage also improves memory and brain function.
Sage supplements can be bought at pharmacies and grocery stores. These are like your regular vitamins and they are ready to be taken orally. You can also follow these methods to use the sage leaf the traditional way in the comfort of your own home. Sage leaves are proven to prevent excessive sweating, which usually happens if someone is experiencing hot flashes.
Making a sage tea or juice
- 1You can soak the leaves longer if you want to extract the leaves more.Put 3 grams of chopped sage leaves into 150 ml boiling water for 10 minutes.Advertisement
- 2You can now make a tea or a juice out of this water. If you don't like the taste, I would advise that you add honey to it or a little bit of sugar so you can drink it more easily.Strain the leaves out of the water.
Mixing sage with your favorite meal
If you are comfortable with eating vegetables and making salads, this method will work for you. Just like a regular vegetable, sage can be mixed with your favorite meal. For salad lovers, you can use sage an alternative to lettuce. Below is a real easy and quick recipe for you.
- 1of olive oil, and another 1/4 cup extra1 tbsp.Advertisement
- 220 scallops
- 3half a stick of salted butter
- 41/3 cup of thinly sliced sage
- 5lemon wedges
- 61 ripe tomato, finely chopped
- 71 cucumber
- 81/4 cup of lemon juice
- 1of olive oil in frying pan over high heat.Heat 1 tbsp.
- 2Add scallops, season and cook for 30 seconds on each side.
- 3Add butter and sage for another 30 seconds.
- 4Before serving, combine with tomato and cucumber.
- 5Squeeze the lemon juice and add a bit more olive oil.
- 6Toss and arrange on a plate with lemon wedges.
- 1However some of its species contain thujone which can affect the nervous system. This may cause rapid heartbeat, vomiting, vertigo, seizures and worse, kidney damage.Sage is proven to be generally safe to be taken as a supplement or seasoning.
- 2Sage can cause an allergic reaction, just like other herbal medicines.
- 3It is best to consult your health care professional if you have allergies and are unsure of what supplement you can or cannot take.Advertisement
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Relieve the Hot Flashes of Menopause with Sage. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 23, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Relieve_the_Hot_Flashes_of_Menopause_with_Sage
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Relieve the Hot Flashes of Menopause with Sage." VisiHow, visihow.com/Relieve_the_Hot_Flashes_of_Menopause_with_Sage Accessed 23 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Relieve the Hot Flashes of Menopause with Sage." Accessed May 23, 2017. http://visihow.com/Relieve_the_Hot_Flashes_of_Menopause_with_Sage.
Categories : Sage Usage & Benefits
Recent edits by: Eng, Geraldin Carniyan