Register Free Domains
Edited by Mian Sheilette Ong, Eng, Lynn
As an entrepreneur, your company is how you intend to secure a future. However, you have to keep up with today's trends. Businesses these days often choose to go online. This is a much faster, more efficient way to reach out to potential buyers and loyal customers. To make your company name stick, you have to get your own domain name. A domain name identifies who a website belongs to, and choosing a name that is easy to remember, and a domain name that fits your business name is the best way to make sure customers remember your web address. The best thing about having a domain name is that you don't have to have a set physical location. Even if you are starting your company on your own, you can go ahead and register your domain name. It would be much better if you do this initially for free, as it will help you save a lot of start-up money.
- 1 How important is a domain name?
- 2 Registering your free domain
- 3 Legitimate & Scam List of Free Domain Registrars
- 4 What you should do
- 5 Steps to take after registering your domain
- 6 SEO disadvantages to free domain services for second level domains
- 7 Considerations in having SLDs
- 8 Reasons why companies get SLDs
- 9 Tips
- 10 Comments
How important is a domain name?
For any business owner, a domain name is a very beneficial thing to have. The following are only some reasons for getting one:
- 1When you already have a domain name and you decide to transfer to another web host, you can take your domain name with you.You won't have to worry that your customers will not be able to access your site anymore. You won't have to fret that your loyal patrons or visitors will never be informed that you changed web hosts. All they have to do is enter your URL as always, and they will be easily directed to your new website.Advertisement
- 2A domain name establishes your credibility. There are less than a handful of people who would want to engage in a venture with a company that has no domain name.With a domain name, you can easily spark the interest of investors and customers. Your domain name tells them that you are good at what you do and that the fees you charge are worth it.Advertisement
- 3People tend to remember your company easily. They can easily go to your website without searching for a writer reference.If you come up with a catchy name for your goods or services, then people will type your domain name in their browsers without any difficulty at all.
- 4A domain name will help you get good advertisers for your website. It gives your company name a heightened level of respect that you won't easily gain offline.
Registering your free domain
Normally, businesses would go to a domain registrar and pay a certain amount have their domain names registered and running for a period of time (usually a year). If you want to register your domain for free, check out the following steps:
- 2Browse for a reputable web registrar. A reputable web registrar will allow you to register your name with you as the owner.You will also be the technical contact and the administrator of the domain name you register. To be the owner of your domain name is crucial because then you will ultimately have control of your site.
- 3Check for web registrars that can register your domain name for free.A credible domain registrar will allow you to register your domain name for free, but you will still have to purchase some of their services. This free or low cost domain name registration is usually offered by big companies that provide free web hosting services, VPS hosting, or free web hosting. This allows the you to pay for extended services at a small rate. These free domain registration services are recommended for small website owners who have just started and do not want to spend that much money during their start-up.
Legitimate & Scam List of Free Domain Registrars
|Free Domain Provider||Domain Types||Scam?||Catch|
|HostGator||.COM .NET .ORG||No||Only free if you are their customer|
|iPage||.COM .NET .ORG||No||Only free if you are their customer|
|HostMonster||.COM .NET .ORG||No||Only free if you are their customer|
|FreeDomain.co.nr||.CO.NR||No||2nd level domain/may have slight SEO limitations|
|Biz.ly||.BIZ.LY||No||2nd level domain/may have slight SEO limitations|
|Co.cc||.CO.CC||No||2nd level domain/may have slight SEO limitations|
|Biz.nf||.BIZ.NF||No||2nd level domain/may have slight SEO limitations|
|Dot.tk||.TK||No||No catch! You can only register for up to one year at a time, but you get unlimited renewals for free. However if you want to register for more than one year at a time, it costs about $20 for two years.|
|freehostingeu.com||.eu.pn||No||free websites that have no ad|
It is a sad fact that many domain registries are taking advantage of online businesses. The following are some of the domain places that scam domain owners. You have to watch out for these:
- 1Domain registrars from China. There are fake domain registrars in China that send domain owners emails concerning another company's attempt to register domains similar to the targeted company's trademark.The fake registry also mentions that there are many similarities among the keywords used by the other company and the target company. Usually, the domains presented are the same as the targeted company's domain name. Only the TLDs (top level domains) are different. The fake registrar will convince the target company that they have stopped present registrations to protect the target company's trademark. After that, the registrar will convince the target company to respond to their email immediately. If the target company responds by phone or via email, the fake registrar will convince the target company to register the said domain names for a number of years with them. These scammers also send fake threats to their customers. The threats are made to look like they are from the other companies that want to register the domain as their own, only under a different top level domain. Some registrars sell TLD for domains that are already registered. The scammer calls up the owners of the registered domains and convinces them to sell the domains at a higher price. If the owner agrees, the scammer immediately pays for the domains at a price ranges of $7-20. The scammer then sells it to another victim for a much higher price of a few hundred dollars.Advertisement
- 2Domain Registry of Canada. The Domain Registry of Canada domain registry scam involves domains with .CA.The scammers behind this send emails to domain owners, telling them to protect their domains and that the safest way to do so is with the Domain Registry of Canada. The site looks like an official site in the Canadian government. Even the materials distributed may seem from a credible government agency as well. The URL is http://www.twistimage.com/pdf/Domain_Registry_of_canada_scam.pdf. You have to be careful because the site also has very nice customer service people who are ready to accommodate. The Domain Registry of Canada is a legitimate site, but extorts domain owners into paying very expensive fees.
- 3Global Domains International. This is where the scammer sends the domain owner an email, notifying the domain owner that they have a domain name similar to the target company but only with a different extension name.The scammer will then offer the target company to pay $250 to buy the domain they are offering
- 4Domain Registry of America. The Domain Registry of America sends out over a million domain notices of expiration.If you do get one, this means that your domain isn't registered under them. In the early part of the 2000's, they started to send out domain notices that looked like bills. The fine print indicated that the domains in the bill were not yours but you were told to pay for them. If you ended up paying the bill, it meant that you agreed to transfer your domain to them. The next move was to send you bills for additional fees. You ended up paying more than twice the amount you paid with your former domain registrar. To this day, the Domain Registry of America still sends out domain expiration notices. They have changed some of the words, but they still have the same goal. Their fee is an outrageous $30 per year for your domain's registry.
What you should do
Don't let these scammers destroy your budget and peace of mind. Here are some of the things you could do to protect your company and domain from such opportunistic domain registrars:
- 2Lock up your domain name. You can do this by getting your country code (i.e..de or .ca) plus .com, .org.or .net.
Steps to take after registering your domain
Content work in progress
Creating your own website depends on so many factors that you need to consider. Among them are the following:
- 1Are you planning to invest money on the creation?If you will be handing it over to a company or a well known website creator, they will ask you information and data like:
- The purpose of your website. For example, is it for selling and showing your products, or is it a web-forum, etc.
- Data of the items will be shown in your website. This includes your product list and photos, company profile, and contact information.
- Depending on the purpose of your planned site, the information requested will vary.
- Then they will start a prototype design and show it to you.
- 2Are you planning to design your website on your own?If so, you are going to need a web design editor program.
- You can go for professional programs like DW "Adobe Dreamweaver", for which you have to pay to purchase.
- Or you can go for free web designing programs like "WiX" (http://www.wix.com/) which has templates that you can browse, and select the one that best matches your need and supports HTML5 too. Also you may check "UCOZ" (http://www.ucoz.com/).
- Or you can even depend on the Microsoft web page editing program "Frontpage". Or you can use its successors, SharePoint Designer and Expression Web.
- Above programs are called WYS-WYG, i.e. What You See What You Get.
- Those with more IT background may want to edit the code by themselves, using an HTML editor like "Note++". They may also need to know a thing or two about CSS Cascading Style Sheets which deals with the text and fonts.
- 3The most dominant factor that will effect your web page creation is what do you want your page to do, what it will contain, and what are the targeted users or readers that you are aiming to approach.
If you can't find anything from your own resources, then you will always find it on the net. The services provided by search engines have made life simpler by just typing in the term on a search engine, and getting results in a snap. If you look vigilantly at the search outcome page, you can often look at how many links are identified. It's often in the thousands. Just a few of them reach the top page, and it has been recognized through studies that the websites showing on the top two pages will be the ones which have the highest numbers of clicks from users.
The procedure of SEO Search Engine Optimization is not only about utilizing related tactics on your own site, but additionally involves a number of other aspects. If you want your site to be listed on the top pages, then you will have to observe the competition too. It's advisable to keep an eye on them and see if they are exercising honorable opportunities for reaching the goal or not. It's very important to maintain an advantage over your competitors, and if they're using unethical ways, then you should report them to the search engines. Realizing your opponents in the competition will allow you to succeed in attaining your objective. Unethical SEO is frequently described as Black Hat, and ethical as White Hat. The Black Hat techniques give you benefits quicker than White Hat; however, they usually get you banned from SE's as a result of excessive exploitation.
This is actually the reason that you ought to always practice the proper and appropriate methods. The correct form of approach, which is also accepted by the popular search engines, will take some time, but it will reap better results for you personally. Finding your site on the top pages does not happen in a week, and if any organization does this for you, then they are most likely not using ethical techniques. Using the wrong means will reduce steadily the standing of the website, which will land you nowhere. Online marketing strategies have become vast and can give you a lot of opportunities to boost your online presence among the followers. The traditional methodologies were time-consuming and qualified less traffic toward the services and products and services of the business. This is the reason that a lot of business enterprises are actually moving towards online marketing strategies, as opposed to just depending on old methodologies.
SEO services add the greatest assistance to advertise a brandname or website on the internet. The optimizes the internet site according to the tips of an SE, helping to make it possible to index it among the top pages. While picking a company for the same, always make sure that they are practicing honest methods. Before selecting any package, check all the features which are provided through it, within the rate of the package. Both major features, which are very important to the website and manufacturer marketing, are Social Websites Optimization and SEO. SMO assists in making your brand popular to the social media websites, which permits users to learn more about your services and offers.
SEO disadvantages to free domain services for second level domains
If you are running a business website, there is always a possibility that you would want to have a second level domain, especially if it is being offered by your free domain service. An SLD, or a second level domain, is located below the TLD, or the top level domain. It is situated to the TLD's left side. One example is geronimotors.org.uk. The ".org.uk" is your SLD. As you may know, SLDs indicate the type or organization or company that the domain belongs to. There are SLDs that are for personal, business, or non-profit use.
SLDs are perceived to provide more traffic or guests for your website. Even if they seem to provide a more specific way for consumers to seek your business online, there are some disadvantages to having second level domains:
- 1Duplicated content. By the time a brand new domain is set up, companies tend to copy content from their main website.This brings forth duplicate content problems, which makes your newly established domain virtually invisible in popular search engines.
- 2Extra effort in managing similar content. When you have more than one site or domain, you need to make sure that their contents are different from one another.This means that you have to increase the time and money you invest on SEO to manage each site that you have.
- 3Increased expenses. When you host another website, you have to expect additional costs.You have to maintain it the same way you keep your main website. The money you spend on maintaining more than one website could just be used for advertising your main website.
- 4Confused clients. Your present clients and potential customers will definitely be confused when they find your business in various domains.They will not have a clear idea about the real essence of your company.
- 5Links become thin. If you have more than one site, multiple links are created.The links are distributed across many domains instead of concentrating towards your main site. This will result in less traffic and less profit.Advertisement
If you want your company to achieve top ranks in top search engines such as Google, it would be best to just give your focus on your main website. This way, you could have more profit and more traffic for your company.
Considerations in having SLDs
There are domain names that are specific to each country. If you want your business to rank well in a local search engine search, having a second level domain can give your site a real advantage when it comes to getting the top rankings. You just have to remember to update each of your sites with different, unique content. For your SLD, include content that is relevant locally and always include your contact details.
Reasons why companies get SLDs
When business owners purchase multiple domain extensions, they aim to protect their business name. They get all the top level domain extensions such as .biz, .mobi, or .info. Others may purchase keyword targeted domains so that they could be at the top of search engine results. Examples are affordablecatering.com or on-callcatering.com.
- Be careful of "too-good-to-be-true" free domain registration sites that offer many services on the side because you will end up paying for them.
- Consider paying a small fee in the long run, especially if you want to maintain your website and domain name for a long period.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Recent edits by: Eng, Mian Sheilette Ong