Regain Your Zest for Life
Edited by Jackgraz, Robbi, Lynn, Jonathan and 3 others
Nobody feels energetic all the time; life is full of ups and downs. But sometimes when we go down, we seem to stay down. The longer we find ourselves in this rut, the more worried we become, and if we stay down long enough it becomes difficult to ever see things turning around. Thankfully, there are a few basic steps that can make a world of difference.
- 1This is the only intervention that has consistently proven beneficial in treating depression. Even short bursts of exercise can have significant benefits, releasing a wave of feel-good endorphins that will have you buzzing for hours. Go for a walk or run around the block, do as many pushups as you can, or, even better, sign up for a gym class.Exercise.Advertisement
- 2What have you been eating lately? If your diet is out of balance, there's a good chance this is contributing to your low mood. Do you eat too much of one particular thing? Is there something you're not eating enough of? A balanced diet should contain all of the major food groups: meats, vegetables, fruit, cereals, dairy, fats and sugars.Diet.Advertisement
- 3Do not underestimate the importance of a good night's rest. Scientists have recently discovered that our bodies use sleep to cleanse the brain of toxins. If you haven't been getting enough sleep, you may be suffering from a build-up in stress-related chemicals.Sleep.
- 4Sometimes our own thoughts can be the cause of our depression. However, it is amazing how different our thoughts seem once they're written on a page. Writing a journal gives us the opportunity to objectively view our thoughts and identify those that aren't helping us to go forward with our lives.Write a journal.
- 5Our society has a way of turning a blind eye to one of the only certainties that we will all face: death. There is great power to be drawn from reflecting on the fact that one day, you will die. This simple realization has the effect of stirring us to action, and helping us appreciate the wonderful gift of life.Face death.
- 6Sometimes all we need is to fall in love with someone or something to remember how beautiful life really is. It doesn't have to be a person - it could be a work of art, a story, a piece of poetry or a sunset. Look for the beautiful, and the beautiful will find you.Fall in love.
- 7It might be you are suffering from territory fatigue. You become so familiar with the place you live and work in, that it becomes so routine and boring. Nothing much happens every day, and you do not do anything that gives you any thrill. It might be you want out of the place...for a while. Why not travel? There are several cheap travel itineraries being peddled by travel agencies. Why not avail of them. Ask for vacation leave from your boss by telling him frankly that you are burned out and want to travel for a while to be refreshed. When you are traveling, you learn so much from different cultures and how other nationalities react to different situations. When you come back, you have a wider dimension of understanding, and your zest for life will return.Travel.
- 8It doesn't matter which religion you choose. What is important is you find your inner peace through prayer, meditation, worship, chants and joining other people who help and support each other in their longing to reach out to a higher Supreme Being.Find God.Advertisement
- If none of the above steps work, it is best to speak to a professional doctor. Online advice can only guide you so far.
Questions and Answers
What to do when undergoing a depression? How to regain zest?
There is some point in life when you hit rock bottom. Depression is triggered by life-changing events in a person's life or it depends on how much emotion a person can actually handle and deal with at one point or another. It could be caused by a death in the family, separation or breakups, moving to another location, or failure to cope with school expectations. If you know that you or a loved one is undergoing depression then you must immediately seek medical treatment. Here are some tips to regain zest and effectively deal with depression:
- Maintain a routine. Sticking to a normal day-to-day routine is very helpful in making you productive. Depressed people tend to either sleep too much or too little. Their sleeping and eating habits are altered so it is a must to follow a regular daily routine.
- Eat healthy. Be sure to have a well-balanced diet of whole grains vegetables, and fruits to keep you physically and mentally alert. Keep yourself properly hydrated by drinking more water and natural fruit juices. Do not drink alcohol or too much caffeine as it can aggravate depressive symptoms.
- Exercise and be active. Exercise or any routine physical activity triggers the release of endorphins or the "feel good hormones" which make you feel energized. Yoga also helps you feel more relaxed and tranquil from inside and out.
- Go out and socialize. If you feel like keeping to yourself and withdrawing from your usual hobbies and activities - go out all the more. Mingle and do something new with your family and friends. Travel and see the world. Being with supportive and happy people make you feel like you are never alone in your ordeal and the world is bigger than your problems.
It is always advised to seek expert psychological counseling and treatment if you suspect that you are having depression or similar symptoms for early diagnosis and treatment to avoid any serious health complications.
Is that chat live? I just really liked the article I was reading?
Is that page funded by a charity? Why would you help me and with what?
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Regain Your Zest for Life. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 22, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Regain_Your_Zest_for_Life
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Regain Your Zest for Life." VisiHow, visihow.com/Regain_Your_Zest_for_Life Accessed 22 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Regain Your Zest for Life." Accessed May 22, 2017. http://visihow.com/Regain_Your_Zest_for_Life.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Doug Collins, JMA, Jonathan