Reduce Stress from our Daily Life
Edited by Clifford, Charmed, Innocent Yogo, Ephraim and 1 other
There are times in our working life that what we do love to do is not want we have to do. If we like what we are doing it would not be as stressful as something we hate to do. I am not suggesting leaving your current job that you do not like. But to find ways to redirect what you are doing to something you like. If you are in a situation that your current job is not to your liking, then do something about it. It could be that invest your spare time to study and be more marketable in the field that you want. An education or training could make you suffer short term stress because of the added responsibility but in the long run it would make you more in control and hopeful in the future which will reduce your stress. Stress is something unavoidable in our life but we could at least lessen it effect in our personal and family life.
Here are some steps we could do to at least reduce its debilitating effects on us.
- 1You could raise the option of doing 4 day work with extended hours to compensate for the extra 1 day of vacation. If this is not possible, you could schedule your stressful work within the first 4 days so as to lessen any stress on your 5th day of work within the week.Reduce your work per week - If you find yourself more stress working for five days a week, you could negotiate for a four day work per week if it is possible.Advertisement
- 2Like emails, cellphones, voice mails and the like. Especially for those people that can't seem to live without being connected 24/7, always online on the internet or always checking on their emails while answering their phones. I would suggest taking at least sometime out within the week to relieve yourself of some technological devices that will add to your stress.Give that e-stress a break- E- stress as those electronic gadgets that give us some stress even when we are at home or on vacation.Advertisement
- 3We at some time feel that there are some persons that seem to drain out energy instead of giving us some support; this could give us some stress in our life. For family members it is wise to settle the conflict as soon as possible as this will make a toll in your stress free living. Try to learn when a person is giving you constructive criticism or just always pointing to you your flaws and stay away from them if possible. You should surround yourself with positive people, people that will make you feel positive about yourself.Eliminate energy conflicts - These can come from your personal relationships, friends or even family members.
- 4A nagging debt could be stressful. Unpaid mortgages, credit cards and other bills. Live on the lifestyle you are capable of. Limiting unneeded expenses could save you some money that unpaid bill that always at your doorstep. For utility bills it would be wise if you arrange it so that it will be automatically paid by debit card or credit card, this way you only receive the monthly statement of your card or debit card. Having too many credit cards could also be stressful; keeping one or two credit card at most would certainly cut the stress greatly.Restructure your finances - another thing that could give you stress is your everyday finances.
- 5Some of us will eat compulsively. Some people eat more than they have to because of stress but in return they feel bad about it because of the resulting weight gain or anxiety. Thus, added to more stress, the cycle keeps on and on. The best solution for this is to watch actively when eating when feeling stressed. It should be an active effort not to eat especially high carbohydrate food which could disrupt normal blood sugar which in turn creates mood swing.Overeating - Avoid overeating when we are stressed.
- 6Sleep deprivation will affect our immune system and promotes the aging process. When we are lacking sleep it would increase the levels of our cortical which is a stress hormone. One way to have enough sleep is to take some daytime nap when possible. Stay away from caffeinated drinks before going to sleep so that we can sleep more deeply which in turn replenish our body energy.Get more sleep - Lack of sleep is one of the factors that aggravates stress.
- 7If you have not exercised for a long period of time it could be difficult to stay on a schedule especially if you are alone. Find someone like a friend or a workout buddy that both of you could schedule at least twice a week exercise or workout. This will relieve stress and at the same time keep your body and mind fit.Do some workouts - Regular exercise will help curb stress?Advertisement
If we could at least do and follow some of these steps, it would greatly help us to reduce not only stress but other illness emotionally and physically.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.