Reduce Bad Cholesterol by Eating Garlic
Edited by Mian Sheilette Ong, Eng, Lynn, elijah000 and 2 others
Cholesterol has been seen as an enemy for decades. Some people believe if you eat anything with cholesterol in it, you are setting yourself up for an untimely heart attack. To be clear, cholesterol is a form of fat manufactured by your liver. It's important for your body's overall function because it is the main component of the cell's outer layer. It's a steroid transported through your plasma.
American adults have higher levels of cholesterol than other industrialized countries. Experts are concerned because increased cholesterol levels are showing up in American children as well. It's true that there is good cholesterol and bad cholesterol. The problem is, consumers are lured by easy-to-make meals and processed foods that contain high levels of bad cholesterol. Next thing they know, their doctors have prescribed medications for cardiovascular disease that come with their own problems caused by the side effects. In this article, we're going to talk about natural remedies such as garlic to reduce bad cholesterol.
- 1 Facts About Cholesterol
- 2 The History, Attributes and Uses of Garlic to Reduce Bad Cholesterol
- 3 Tips and Warnings
- 4 Questions and Answers
- 4.1 Can you tell me how to reduce bad cholesterol?
- 4.2 What are the results is of taking garlic in the morning without having breakfast first?
- 4.3 How can I reduce my cholesterol? With the help of garlic, as well as I would like to know if peppercorns, cloves, black cardamon, Jenner and cinnamon are good for controlling Cholesterol?
- 5 Comments
Facts About Cholesterol
Cholesterol performs several functions, and is:
- Responsible for maintaining the outer layer of your cellular membranes.
- Helps produce sex hormones that are released by your adrenal glands.
- Helps produce bile.
- Helps maintain the cell membrane's ability to select what molecules can enter cells.
- Helps metabolize fat-soluble vitamins (vitamins K, E, D, and A).
- Insulates your nerve fibers.
- Transforms your doses of sunshine into vitamin D.
NOTE: Although this article was only written three years ago, there have been a lot of conjecture regarding high cholesterol levels and this contributing to heart disease. In the past, doctors have strongly suggested patients keep cholesterol levels low, or else, yet recent studies have concluded this extreme, no cholesterol is good cholesterol approach is short-sighted, and could result in some adverse results.
Lipoproteins, Or The Molecules Responsible For Transporting Cholesterol
Four types of Lipoproteins:
- 1Chylomicrons.A small fat globule composed of lipid (fat) and protein. They are found in blood and lymphatic fluid, and their function is to transport fat from the intestine to the liver, then to adipose (fat) tissue. Following a meal containing lots of fats, the blood looks milky, because it is so full of chylomicrons that it appears milky.Advertisement
- 2High-Density Lipoproteins (HDL).This is your good cholesterol. It actually prevents cardiovascular diseases. It pulls away cholesterol from your cells and returns it to your liver. The liver then converts the cholesterol into waste.Advertisement
- 3Low-Density Lipoproteins (LDL).This is your bad cholesterol. LDLs transport cholesterol from your liver into your cells. In excess, the LDLs begin to deposit in your arteries, causing health issues that include an increased risk of cardiovascular disease.
- 4Triglycerides.These are forms of fat that mostly exist inside your body and in your food. Triglycerides are found in your food and in your plasma. They are usually made by carbohydrates. Through a release of hormones, they are used as energy if you aren't acquiring enough energy from food.
Causes of High Cholesterol:
- 1Eating foods that are high in cholesterol.If you eat eggs regularly, certain seafood, and organ meats, you can be certain that your cholesterol is high. You should also cut down or avoid foods with high saturated fats such as cream, hard cheese, sausages, red meat, certain pies, pastry, lard, biscuits, and cakes.
- 2Having a sedentary lifestyle.If you're always lying down or sitting, you will have high LDL levels and lower HDL levels.
- 3Being overweight or obese.Obese or overweight people usually have higher levels of LDL and lower levels of HDL than those people who are within normal weight.
- 4Avoid alcohol.Consuming alcohol increases your LDL levels.
- 5Smoking.This habit also has an effect on your levels of LDL.
The History, Attributes and Uses of Garlic to Reduce Bad Cholesterol
For centuries, the effectiveness of garlic as an alternative treatment has improved the lives of many people. Garlic is part of the onion and leek family. It has a very distinctive aroma, which earned it the name of "stinking rose". Apart from it being an effective treatment for infections, garlic has many healing properties that improve the general health of so many patients especially those who have been diagnosed with high levels of cholesterol.
Studies show that garlic significantly decreases the total cholesterol levels by a significant amount. About half a gram to a gram of garlic should be eaten every day to decrease cholesterol levels. A reduction to about 20 mg.dL of triglyceride and cholesterol levels resulted from taking garlic regularly. It's important to now that HDL levels are in no way negatively affected by garlic.
Some Easy Ways To Use Garlic To Reduce Your Cholesterol Levels
Garlic reduces cholesterol levels from 9% to 12%. It only takes about 900 milligrams, or half a garlic clove consumed each day to lower cholesterol to that degree.
- 1Grate fresh garlic over your toasted bread.Toast your bread before grating your garlic over it. Toasting the garlic as well will reduce the levels of Allicin (the most valuable component of garlic).Advertisement
- 2Mix grated garlic into dressings and dips.Garlic's effectiveness is optimized if you mix it into your dressings and dips in its raw form.
- 3Cook garlic mildly.To do this, you have to add garlic at the end of the cooking process instead of browning it at the start.
- 4Make a garlic spice paste.Mash a small can of chickpeas. Ground four to five cloves of garlic. Mix the two ingredients together and add olive oil. Enjoy your delicious paste on pasta, crackers, grits, or oatmeal.
- 5Make a cucumber vinegar garlic soak.In a bowl, add:
- Half a cup of apple cider vinegar
- 4 cloves of ground garlic
- Sugar (to taste)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Slice cucumbers and soak them into the mixture. Enjoy as a side dish for fish main courses.
Make And Use An Ancient Chinese Cholesterol Reduction Recipe
Chinese herbalists have long used this recipe that will help lower your cholesterol. It is also effective for weight loss and blood pressure reduction. Have a try!
What you'll need:
- A lemon, de-seeded
- 200 cc of water (a little less than one cup)
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
- A Saucepan
- 1Pour the water into a saucepan and place it on low heat.
- 2Immediately add all the other ingredients.
- 3Simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes.
- 4Take off the heat and allow the concoction to cool.
- 5Place in blender and blend until you achieve a consistency like condensed milk.
- 6Keep it in a sealed food container in the refrigerator.
- 7Stir a tablespoon of the thick mixture into a glass of tepid water.
- 8Drink this every morning upon waking, preferably on an empty stomach
How To Make And Use A German Cholesterol Reduction Elixir
This is an easy garlic and lemon elixir from a traditional German folk medicine recipe. It also is a cleansing elixir and a general tonic. Garlic alone will make you feel better, but adding lemon will give you more vitamin C as a source of antioxidants to fend off free radicals. The lemon zest also provides more enzymes for your liver.
What you need:
- 140 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
- 22 liters of water
- 34 lemons with skin
- 1Cut the lemons into quarters.Place all the garlic and the lemon into a food processor. If you don't have a food processor, you can use a knife to chop everything into very small pieces.
- 2Transfer the mixture into a pot.
- 3Add the water and stir.
- 4When the water boils, turn off the heat immediately.
- 5Cool the mixture.
- 6Strain and transfer into bottles.If you can't compost the pulp, throw it away)
- 7Store in the refrigerator.
- 8Drink a shot glass of elixir before or after your meals everyday.
- 9Shake well before serving because the elixir becomes thick over time.
- 10Continue for three weeks.
- 11Take a break for a week.
- 12Make a brand new batch and take it for another three weeks.
- 13After those six weeks, your whole body should feel regenerated.
- Your cholesterol levels will be lower.
- Your hearing and eyesight will be improved.
- Pain in your joints should be greatly reduced.
Tips and Warnings
- Always consult your doctor first before taking any health supplements.
- There are also garlic tablets that you can take if you don't like the taste of garlic.
- There is always the risk of acquiring a garlic smell on your body and breath.
- More than 0.25g/kg of garlic everyday can be harmful for your liver.
- Garlic weakens your blood's clotting ability. Do not take it if you are already taking anticoagulants or if you are about to have surgery.
Questions and Answers
Can you tell me how to reduce bad cholesterol?
My cholesterol count is -286. HDL-38. What are some precautions?
There are several ways you can lower your cholesterol in addition to garlic. Exercise has a massive impact on lowering your cholesterol. This does not mean you have to join a gym and begin power lifting. A simple 30-minute walk around your neighborhood daily can help you. How to Lose Weight Drinking Oolong Tea is a VisiHow article about the benefits of drinking Oolong Tea. A study showed that drinking the tea reduces the absorption of harmful triglyceride fats from foods. Here are more ways to reduce your cholesterol levels:
- Lower your cholesterol level and lead a healthy life
- Use cinnamon to reduce cholesterol
- Save Money by Exercising at Home
- Improve Your Health by Eating Olives Daily
- Know the Health Benefits of Avocados
- Know the Health Benefits of Green Tea
- Know the Health Benefits of Bananas
- Use Aloe Vera As a Disinfectant, Antibiotic, Germicidal, Antibacterial, Antiseptic, Antifungal and Antiviral
- Cook with Coconut Oil
What are the results is of taking garlic in the morning without having breakfast first?
Hi, I am taking garlic every morning, without eating first. I take a tablet with water. Is that okay? Regards.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
How can I reduce my cholesterol? With the help of garlic, as well as I would like to know if peppercorns, cloves, black cardamon, Jenner and cinnamon are good for controlling Cholesterol?
I'm 52 years old. My cholesterol is 240, I'm diabetic since 2011, my diabetic is "9" three months test. In fact I'm diabetic since 2011, on 26/12/2016 my cholesterol was 240 and diabetic was"9"
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Garlic Usage & Benefits
Recent edits by: Maria, elijah000, Lynn