Redesign Your Old Flats with Lace Applique
Edited by Rowan, Lynn, Eng, vc and 1 other
We all get bored with our old shoes and feel like getting rid of them to replace them with a new pair of shoes that shows our sense of fashion. The best way to have a new pair of shoes that costs you next to nothing is to create your own, without needing to throw out our old pair. Here is a simple creative way to redesign your old flats and give them a fashion makeover with lace applique that you can rock day (during work or a day out with your friends) or night (at a party, or on a date).
- 1Prepare the things you will need:Advertisement
- Your old leather flats.
- A lot of clothespins.
- Glue with a glossy finish (like Mod Podge).
- A small Container.
- Paint brushes in different sizes.
- Lace fabric in the color & pattern of your choice.
- 2For easier cleaning, place paper over the desk you will work on so you would avoid any glue mess.Gather the things you will work with and organize your work space.Advertisement
- 4Place the lace on top of your shoes and hold it with clothespins.
- 5You will need your shoe holes, so cut the middle part of the lace, revealing the inside of your shoes.
- 6Trim the excess lace from the inside and secure all the edges to hold them more tight.
- 7Pour some glue into the container.
- 8Using a paint brush, apply a generous amount of glue on each part of the shoe and press the lace down to secure it while smoothing it out.
- 9Part by part, keep gluing the lace on until you have glued the lace over the entire shoes.
- 10Before trimming the excess lace at the sole of your new laced flats, and also from the inside of the shoes (leaving an extra 1/2 inch), make sure that the glue has dried, so you will have more control and a better grip.
- 11After trimming the extra lace, use a smaller paint brush to apply a coat of glue to the bottom edges, then gently fold the inside trim and glue them to give it a clean finish.
- 12After they have dried, check to see if any part of the lace needs better gluing, & if there is any, brush some glue over it for extra security, then let it dry again.Let Your new pair of laced up flats, dry.
- 13It is now time to go out & give your new flats, a test run.Done.
- You can add a little bow to give your flats extra cuteness.
- Try using vibrant colored lace that contrasts with the color of your flats for a daring look, like using red or blue lace with black or white shoes.
- If the lace had roses applique, try adding to the center of the roses little pearls, studs, or any type of embellishment (get creative).
- You can add glitter to the glue to make your lace shine.
Questions and Answers
Redesign old shoes to make them interesting and fun?
To redesign your old shoes, follow these:
- First you must have your old shoe (that you will redesign), laces, diamond beads (depends what you like and the beads must be the same), scissors, glue and nail polish with glitters in it.
- To redesign your old shoe, get your old shoe, on the metal (small belt buckle of the shoe) of the old shoe put the diamond beads, so get the glue and put a glue on the diamond bead, after you put a glue on the diamond bead put it on the metal of the old shoe. Repeat this step until the metal is full of diamond beads and let it dry for 5 minutes.
- The next step is using the scissor, cut the lace to 2 to 2.5 inches of it. Using the glue, attach the lace near the metal or small belt buckle of the shoe (it depends on the metal or small belt buckle on how you place the lace). If the metal is on the left side, put the lace beside of it until it goes to the right side. If the metal is in the center of your shoe, put the lace around (circle) the metal so it will look like a flower.
- The last step is using the nail polish with glitters on it, polish the diamond beads to make it more shiny and glittery. And now you can enjoy and try your newly design shoes.
Categories : Repurposing Crafts
Recent edits by: vc, Eng, Lynn