Recognize and Prevent Night Time Allergies
Edited by Debbie, Anonymous, Graciela Franchesca Rosario, Eng and 2 others
Do you find yourself sneezing uncontrollably, or perhaps you can't sleep at night because of a nagging cough you can't seem to get rid of? Maybe you have itchy runny eyes. If you have any of this symptoms, than chances are you have allergies. Allergies happen when our body reacts negatively to a foreign substance. Normally, you produce in your body substances called antibodies, to fight off invaders such as germs. If you are allergic, these defense mechanisms overreact. Here is a list of things that can have a negative effect on our bodies:
Allergy is the worsen reaction of the body against foreign substances. So when you get colds a possible cause is because of allergy. Other forms of allergies are asthma and congestion. If you have nasal congestion you use Vicks Vapor Rub and apply below your nostril, you may also use mint leaves. When you got allergies you advised to take anti-histamine because this histamine is what causes the allergic reaction to foreign substance like molds and pollen.
- 1Inhalants.Pollens, dust, mold, and dog and cat dander. Pollens are the yellow seeds located at the center of the flower. It is distributed by the wind. You can identify the pollen count by referring to National Allergy Bureau. You become allergic to molds because it releases its spores.Advertisement
- 2Ingestants.Eggs, chocolate, nuts, shellfish, milk, antibiotics, and aspirinAdvertisement
- 3Contactants.poison ivy, dyes, metals, wools, and cosmetics.
- 4Injectants.bee and wasp stings, and penicillin
- 5Certain kinds of grass can also be an allergen.It is when you get direct contact or around the grass.
- 6Cigarette smoking is also an allergen.Both the smoker and secondhand smoke induces allergies. Even you stop smoking the smoke will still stay for days up to days. Smokers cannot distinguish the residual smoke because the get immune with it.
- 7Pets.The allergens in pets are their fur and dander. Reptiles and fish don't have dander. Dander are the flakes of the skin then it is mixed with the saliva of the pet. You can also get allergic with the rodent's urine.
- 8Dairy products can cause allergies.This is like the cow's milk.
- 9Cosmetics like hairspray, perfume, powder, etc.can cause allergies. If you have colds you must not use these.
- 10Formula allergy.If your child is allergic to cow's milk switch to soy milk.
If he is allergic to soy milk switch to cow's milk. Other hypoallergenic formula are Allimentum, and Nutramigen.
Concerning allergies we ask ourselves, "Why Me"? All the answers are not known, but I think we can agree that emotional stress and working overtime, and being extremely tired, can affect our allergies. There is also the factor of the increasingly complex environment with its many pollutants. How much this contributes to the increase in allergies is unknown, but there is no question about the ill effect that polluted air has on asthma suffers.
So what are some preventive majors we can take to help reduce our allergy symptoms? Here are a few ways:
- Go to Your Family Doctor. They can do skin tests to find out what you might be allergic to.
- Avoid Pets. Dander from pets can cause allergic reactions.
- Avoid Certain Foods.
- Get an Air Purifier. These are beneficial to help control allergy symptoms when you have a pet in the household.
- Bed and Pillowcase Zippered Covers. This is to help prevent you from breathing in dust and dust mites which can cause stuffy runny noses and congestion.
- Keep your Windows Closed in your Home. This prevents you from breathing in pollen in the air.
- Wash All Bed Linens in Hot Water. Do this at least 1-2 times weekly to keep dust free.
- Change and Wash your Clothes. Keep them clean if you are exposed to pollen outside.
How to Prevent Night Times Allergies?
Allergies that are experience at night may be due to allergens, dusts in your bedroom. If waking up in at night during sleep because of allergies bothers you, you may need to know these remedies.
- 1Make things neat.When you are inside your room and you are going to sleep, close the door to prevent the allergens like the pollens to enter your room then your nose. While you sleep the pollen will be circulating in your room. So make sure your room is clean. Remove all allergy causing materials in the room. Make your room be a comfortable place. Getting rid of this pollens will help you breathe well. You keep your bedclothes clean. You wash them, not dryer-dried. And your pillows, you let them bask under the sun to kill pathogenic microorganisms. While your towel should be dryer-dried. Before you go to bed you also take a shower to rinse off the pollens that has clung into you. To wash the pillowcase, you place them in hot water and mix detergent. Wash them weekly.Advertisement
- 2To make your immunity stronger you take allergy shots.This is good in preventing having allergies. This will take time for a span of 3 years. However long the procedure will take at least you are 100% immune. Like other vaccines, it produces immunity for its specific job.
- 3The Windows should be close at 5 A.M.to 10 A.M., because this is the time when pollens are usually emitted. So don't expect that it is better to open the Windows because of the good weather. Because it is not that hot like at noon. If you want the fresh air to come in you can let the new fresh air come into your house by the late afternoon. It is not too hot at that time. Although you must not open the window if it is windy because along the air comes the pollens. If you want to feel the wind and you are less cautious by the amount of pollens that you can interact, you may stay outside and relax there. Because when you open the window the pollens will enter the house and stay there. You get lots of dirt to clean up and when you are outside your interaction with pollens will be short term unlike the pollens that had entered your house.
- 4The temperature that you have to stay in is on a windless, not hot weather.Because when it is hot the dust and pollens are coming with wind and attach to anywhere. It is also better to go outdoor if it is raining and cool.
- 5Before you go to bed make it a habit to wash your body and face.So you can get off with the dirt that you caught. This removes the grease in your skin. And makes you feel comfortable and believe that you are healthy. This is a way to get rid of pollens.
- 6When you get home from school or work, you must change your clothes, because the dirt has clung into your clothes.You are exposed to the pollens outside. Wear new clothes and keep your clothes clean whether new or need to be washed. And as much as possible you wash your clothes after use. You must make the house clean so do not contaminate the house with your brought pollens.
- 7Do not allow your pets to enter your room.If you want your pet to be inside your house let them stay inside the house but not into your room. Even if your pet is well groomed, cleaned everyday, undergone all the shots it is still not good in relation to their possession of allergens. The fur are the allergens. So stay away and sweep their furs. Even when you got colds you are recommended to stay away from pets because of their fur. In any ways you make your room clean to prevent night time allergies. If you want pets choose fish because they don't have dander which is allergenic.
- 8Use humidifier.It purifies the air and keep it cold. It is a filtering machine for air.
- 9Vacuum your bedroom including the curtains, shelves, and other corners and hiding places.
- 10Clean the dust trapping materials with 10% bleach solution.This is a mold-killing disinfectant.
- 11Vacuum the mattress monthly.And better use hypo-allergenic mattress.
- 12And you may change your carpet into tile or wood.It is easier to clean. Just a sweep and swipe will clean the food made of tile or wood, unlike the carpet wherein the dusts clung. Not only does the person get allergies from pollens and molds but also from dusts and dusts mites. Then you also maintain cleanliness in your room. Clean the floor as much as possible everyday. You can breathe better with that. In any diseases the prevention is better rather than waiting for experiencing sickness.
- 13Avoid letting your child go to fields of flower and high grasses.This field have pollens.
- 14Rinse your pillow and stuff toys into the dryer on high heat.By this you can remove the invisible dust and pollens that has clung into them. For further cleaning routine bask your pillows and stuff toys under the sun.
- 15Avoid letting your clothes hang-dry this picks up pollen.
- 16Wash your jackets especially during pollen season.
What is Dust Mites?
- 1Dust mites are creatures from the arachnid family.They are relatives of chiggers and spiders. Dust mites are eight-legged. The dust mites do not transmit disease or bite but get allergic to them through their faeces and the mite's protein content. Dust mites produces 20 fecal pellet per day. Dust mites are blind what they do to distinguish their food from their waste is that after the have eaten a skin dander, they wrap it with their digestive proteins then the nutrients are extracted and eventually releasing it as feces. Dust mites likes to thrive on humid temperature.Advertisement
To Prevent Dust Mites
- 1Do not eat at the bed.Even flour is also a thriving place of dust mites.
- 2Use fixed carpets rather than wall-to-wall carpeting.Because the vacuum cannot clean the hidden parts of the carpet. Use lower pile commercial carpeting. It traps less mites.
- 3You cover your bedding with dust mite covers.And plastic covers are only effective when new.
- 4Window air conditioning will let the air out of the room.
- 5Your vacuum cleaners should have the right filter.It must be exhaust filter like HEPA filter (High Efficiency Particulate Accumulator filter) or else the allergens will only be scattered in the room. You can buy this for $100 to $200. Place the humidifier at the living room at night and place at the bedroom at afternoon. Put humidity gauge in your house. Keep the humidity of the room at 25 to 40 percent. You can spray mold-killing spray into the humidifier. And the humidifier should be changed with water periodically.
- 6To kill mites of to bask the object under the sunlight and even boiling the materials above 60 degrees Celsius.
- 7To clean soft toys, put these toys inside the freezer to break the hydrophilic crystals in the armpit of the dust mites.Then expose it to sunlight for 6 hours and place in dryer for 30 minutes. Do this every 2 �" 3 months.
- 8Insecticide sprays are effective temporarily.Advertisement
- Keep all Allergy medications out of the reach of children
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Grimm, Eng, Graciela Franchesca Rosario