Recognize and Learn About the Proboscis Monkey
Edited by Debbie, Charmed, Eng, Anonymous and 4 others
The Proboscis monkey has its home in the Southeast Asian land of Borneo. These monkeys are humorous looking fellows! They have long bulgy, flesh-like noses and big round bellies. Until now, it hasn't really been confirmed yet why they have large noses, but researchers believe that it is mainly for sexual attraction. The bigger it is, the more attractive female proboscis monkeys find it. Their fur has a somewhat reddish brown cream color. The male weighs up to 50 pounds, and the female is about half that size. Females mature in 4 years while it takes 4-5 years for males, and they have a 20-year life span.
Proboscis monkeys love to dwell on treetop branches where they can stay away from their predators. These monkeys depend on their habitat in order to survive. They prefer the wild, so they would not make a good pet if you wanted one. They are most often found in lowland forests/rainforests, mangrove forests. They avoid areas settled by humans as people are one of the major predators of Proboscis monkeys. Besides humans, they also need to protect themselves from leopards. The forests are deteriorating, sad to say. Due to vast logging, trees are almost gone that Proboscis monkeys gather in groups and stay neat the rivers for a new dwelling place. They are now considered an endangered species. Besides the treetops, they also love to stay near swampy land and rivers, as they very good swimmers. Besides the funny-looking flesh on their face, there are some other interesting facts about Proboscis Monkeys, Only a few studies have been done with regards to the ecology of these monkeys, but the information we have now is very interesting. Continue reading and enjoy the discovery.
Proboscis Monkey Facts
- 2They Have Unique Feet.The monkeys' feet and hands are partially webbed, which helps them to be better swimmers.Advertisement
- 3Their noses turn red when they feel excited or angry.
- 4They Live In Groups.These groups are called "harems" and they have a sort of a leader, which is always a male. The group consists of the leader and six females with their babies. Females also switch harems several times in their lifetime. There is a "competition" between the females over whom they can mate. When a females is ready for mating, she gives a head shake as a way of presentation.
- 5Their Diet.They mainly eat leaves, fruits and seeds. From June to December, the leaves make up their diet, and they feast on fruits from January to May. They feed themselves in the morning and sleep the whole day.
- 7Females give birth to only one baby at a time, with a six month gestation period.The females take care of their babies until they can support themselves. An infant is under its mom's care for about a year.
- 8The female monkeys "babysit" other baby monkeys which are not their own.
- 9When a male's partner has given birth, he leaves the group he leads and join a group of bachelors.
- 10Proboscis monkeys have two major social groups - an all-male group consists of adults, juveniles and adolescents.The other social system is a group made of other several groups, where each one has a male leader or harem.Advertisement
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Animals & Pets
Recent edits by: Maria, Lynn, Maria Sharon Ubando