Recognize Factors that Impede Service Excellence in the Hotel and Hospitality Industry
Edited by Hotelier, priya, Eng
Hello, and thank you for watching VisiHow. Today's tutorial is on factors that impede service excellence. This can go for a whole variety of organizations, from hotels to restaurants, to other types of business as well.
- 1The first factor that can impede service excellence is a "Lack of Accountability".This is when nobody is held responsible for actually achieving a particular goal. If nobody is responsible for it, there can be no consequence for that goal or that behavior not being respected or met. If someone is doing something wrong, then there needs to be accountability of the team, accountability of the managers, and accountability of the staff. Then someone needs to be addressing any of those issues. If they don't feel responsible, then the service is going to suffer.Advertisement
- 2The next factor is called "Bureaucracy".This is when our staff is not empowered. Staff should be feeling like they are empowered to correct negative customer perceptions in order to make the guests satisfied. If the staff is not empowered, and they have to go through a supervisor, who has to go to a lower level manager, who has to go to a higher level manager, who has to go to the Board of Directors, then a guest is going to get frustrated with the process. The staff needs to be as empowered as possible in order to satisfy our customers.Advertisement
- 3The next factor to impede service excellence is "Inconsistency".If there is a team of five different people, and a customer asks each of the five people the same question, that customer should receive the same or a similar answer. They should not be receiving five different answers. Inconsistency will make our service suffer. Consider a guest of a spa who would like to know what time in the morning the spa opens and what time at night the spa closes. Let's say, for example, there are three spa receptionists. One receptionist tells the guest that the spa is open from 10 am to 10 pm. Another spa receptionist tells the guest that the spa is open from 9 am to 7 pm. The third spa receptionist says that the spa opens at seven o'clock in the morning, and closes at nine o'clock in the evening. The guest doesn't know when they can come and when they have to leave. Inconsistency is not good for the business.
- 4"Insufficient Systems + Processes" are not good for the business either.If we cannot effectively and efficiently assist one of our customers, that customer could become frustrated. If there is a way to accomplish something competently and correctly in 10 minutes, but the system is not allowing us to complete that before 25 minutes, then we should look at that process and that system to see what in the line can be improved and tightened up in order for the customers and guests to be assisted within a reasonable amount of time.
- 5Service excellence can also be impeded by "Overworked Staff".Staff needs to have the appropriate amount of work, and the appropriate amount of rest. If the staff is overworked, then they will not be satisfied. If they are underworked, they may not be satisfied. No person will become a priority for them. Excellence will not be a priority for somebody who is not happy with their own work, and with how much they are working, or with the culture of their work. The amount of time we are giving staff members to work and rest does have a lot of importance.
- 6Also, "Departmental Conflict" can impede service excellence.We want to avoid pointing the finger at another department, or at another person. This could be a conflict between two departments, or a conflict between two people who work in the same department. It is not good for us, and it is not good for our customers, to have people pointing and saying, "This person or that person did it". The only thing the customer really wants is for the problem to be resolved. We need to come together and work better as a team, and avoid having little conflicts at work that can make our customers' and guests' experiences less than great.
- 7This concludes our presentation today on factors that impede service excellence.If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please leave them in the space below.Advertisement
Video: Recognize Factors that Impede Service Excellence in the Hotel and Hospitality Industry
Categories : Hospitality Industry
Recent edits by: priya, Hotelier