Edited by Debbie, Timbuktu, Reema, Eng and 4 others
Some of us like to have a mixed drink or a beer every now and then, and that's alright.But do you find yourself drinking a little more often than necessary? Is it getting to the point you can't go without a drink? Are you causing harm to your loved ones and friends because you drink? If so, it is time to seek some help. What are some things you can do?
Drinking can be looked at as both a disease and as an addiction, making this a very hard thing to deal with, or to quit from, in an instance. Drinking is not anything that you can quit from overnight. It depends on how far a person has gone when it pertains to drinking alcohol. If you are not drinking everyday, then this article is not for you at all for you obviously do not have a problem with drinking because you are an occasional drinker. Also another way of determining if you have a drinking problem is by the amount of alcohol that you consume in one drinking session.
How to start
When it comes to quitting drinking, you will go through a lot of changes in your life which all are going to be negative in the beginning. If you are wishing to start the recovery process alone, then understand that you will be going through a lot of symptoms of withdrawal ranging from anxiety, shakes, heart rate increase and panic attacks. These symptoms are the same symptoms that drug addicts go through in order to recover from the life of using drugs. Taking on this recovery without a doctor can prove to be harmful and unsuccessful. These steps below will need to be accomplished in order to start your road to recovery.
- 1Be sure that you are ready to leave the life of drinking behind for if you are not, then you will not be successful in your attempt.Advertisement
- 2Do not feel like you have to quit alone during this process for there is no shame in asking for help.Advertisement
- 3So reach out to them in order to get a little extra help in the right direction.Understand that it is easier to quit when you have support from family and friends.
- 4It is important that you take the medicine naturally - without the use of alcohol - for it can prove to be fatal.If you choose to go to a doctor, understand that they will prescribe you medication.
- 5So understand that going at it alone will be harder.If you are going to be going at this alone, then do not expect the help of medication for you will not be able to get the medicine you need without consulting a doctor.
Get yourself together
In order to tackle the quitting process successfully, you will have to focus and be free from distractions. This is not all about how strong you are physically, but rather, there will be a lot of mental work. Your attitude here will be very important because if it is negative, understand that you will not have an easy time getting over your addiction. If your attitude is positive, then without much complication, you will not only have a better time but also enjoy getting over your addiction successfully. The following are the different things that you can do in order to help change your attitude into a positive one.
- 1Think of everything that can be achieved after quitting.Advertisement
- 2Think of your family and how they will feel better after you have successfully kicked your bad habit.
- 3While thinking of this, also think about the things that you can do physically if you do not have this drinking problem.Think of all the health concerns that you have eliminated by quitting drinking.
- 4If you have children, think of how happy they would be if they don't worry about your mood anymore just like when you drank too much.
With everything that we do as humans that keep us busy, we all need a deadline or an end date to look forward to when trying to complete a task. This will also pertain to your attempt to quit the bad habit of drinking. Pick a date that you would like as your deadline for quitting drinking.You will be looking forward to that eventful day in the future. Also understand that by planning a date, you will allow yourself to slow down gradually your frequency of drinking alcohol. It will not happen overnight, but it will allow you to focus on your self-scheduled deadline from where you will eventually stop drinking. When gradually slowing down your drinking, you will be allowing your body to cope successfully. This technique will enable you to avoid the symptoms that come along as a result of your quitting this vice.
- 1Set a date that is reasonable and not to close to your present date.Advertisement
- 2There might be times you will be tempted to take a sip/gulp or two especially when you smell the familiar scent of beer or whiskey. Control your temptations.Check yourself that you are taking your quitting seriously.
- 3On your end date, be sure that you are ready to stop drinking.
- 4Pick a date that is important for you so that you will be motivated to quit.
In order to help yourself in the process of kicking the drinking habit, you will need to clean up any memories of your drinking for better percentage of success. There are a number of items that you need to get rid of in order to keep your mind on the goal of quitting drinking. Here is a list of these items.
- 1Old beer cans and bottles should be thrown out in order not to revert your mind back to drinking.
- 2If they are vintage items, tell somebody to keep them for you, away from sight.Rid your house of classic liquor bottles that you use as display items for they can hurt the process of your recovery.
- 3The display of alcoholic beverage labels and logos can influence your mind to think about alcohol again.Rid your home of alcohol posters that you have hanging on the walls.
- 4Things of this nature will continue to put the act of drinking back into your mind and your intention to quit will slowly lose ground.Anything that is in your home that displays the thought or act of drinking needs to be thrown away.
- 5Instead, give your visitors tea, water or other non-alcoholic beverages to enjoy while they are in your home.Do not have any alcoholic beverages in you house which you intend to give to guests.
Where not to go
In order to aid your recovery you will need to stay away from certain places in order to keep yourself from desiring a drink at any given moment. If you surround yourself with people who like to go to bars and drink, then stay away from them so that your recovery process will not stall. Aside from the people you are with, do not go to parties or any other social events which will tempt you to drink alcohol. There are a number of places to avoid when trying to recover from drinking in the future.
- 4Drinking events
- 5Friends' homes wherein alcohol is very visible on the premises.
Take it day by day
If you are tackling the process to quit drinking by yourself without outside help, lessening the amount of liquor you drink day by day might be the solution to your eventually quitting the habit. The habit of drinking is not going to go away in a matter of days for this process can take from weeks up to months in order to be eliminated. By reducing the quantity of alcohol that you consume daily, this will help tremendously in your efforts to quit. If you are focusing yourself to quit through this method, then understand that you have to be honest with the quantity that you are drinking so that you can be on the right track of quitting the habit altogether. If you are a person who drinks until you throw up, then stop at a certain point before you know you will throw up. You know your limits with regards to levels of alcohol your body can take. This gradual technique can be a first step to quitting the habit eventually. . Know your limit of how much you can drink and slowly lower your limit throughout the process. Help yourself be De-toxicated!
- 1Talk to him about your problem. He may suggest a medicine to help you.Go see your Doctor.
- 2People can talk to you and help support you if they have been through the same thing.Contact a local Support Group.
- 3Instead of saying in your mind that "I want a drink", say "NO, I don't want a drink.' Keep telling this to yourself. Just REPEAT.Change Your Thinking.
Benefits of stopping
- 1Quitting can reduce health troubles, such as liver damage.
- 2You will have an improved relationship with family and friends.
- 3Makes you more motivated in your life activities.
- 4You can be proud of yourself that you have licked the habit!
- 5You will have more money at your access to be spent on other important stuff!Advertisement
Questions and Answers
After quitting drinking, can I start dating?
Yes, of course! You can date. It is actually better if you go out for a date, after quitting drinking. You should have an inspiration, so that you will be able to forget about drinking and clubbing. Yet, if you will go out on a date, make sure that you will choose a place where you will not be tempted to drink. In addition, make sure that the one you are about to date with is not into drinking alcohol at all. Avoid a person who also has the same drinking problems as you had before. This kind of person will just force you to drink with him or her. You will be tempted to go back to your old habits.
Who would you choose to go out for a date? Choose someone who you not to drink and who will you whoever you are and whatever is your past. This type of person will make you forget about drinking. You should spend your time with someone who allows you to be the best that you can be. You will be surprised at how he or she can transform you into a different but better person.
If you do quit drinking, then planning to go on a date, the answer would be a big yes. There are girls that are quite choosy when it comes to man's habits. Others might hate a man that always drink. And also, other want a man that drink.
Nowadays, there are different kinds of girls you can come up with. But either way, the best is you stop or quit drinking and so you can have nor go to date.
What changes happen to your body when you quit drinking?
In terms of physical changes, it actually depends on how long you have been drinking, how frequently you drank, and how much you drank. Physical changes may vary, according to how your body can take alcohol content. Are you a hard drinker? If so, it takes years for your body to become normal. For some people, they may experience dangerous and severe withdrawal from alcohol when quitting. If you experience this kind of phenomenon, you can suffer from a seizure, or even death. When quitting, you have to go see a doctor for medical attention wherein you will undergo detoxification. Below are some symptoms you will feel when quitting drinking:
- Black outs
- Hallucinations and delusions
- Nausea and vomiting
- Clammy skin
- Nervous feelings
- Heart palpitations
The aforementioned symptoms can be severe or less, depending on how you frequently drank before. The most important thing is that you have to go see a doctor when you have quit, so that he or she will be able to help you throughout your recovery. In long term recovery, your body and brain will begin to repair some of the damage caused by excessive drinking. In addition, you will feel better and healthier. You will find that you will have a lot more energy than you had before. In other words, you will have better overall health.
The change will a fully functioning body, the cause of drinking has a bad affect on your liver as well as your heart in certain situations. As you quit drinking your body will work itself to recover from the drinking that you have committed. After a longer of period of non-drinking your body will become healthier from the affect of no longer harming your body with alcohol.