Propose to Your Girlfriend
Edited by Emmanuel M. Lardizabal, Eng, Lynn, Ephraim and 2 others
EXITED * SCARED * AFRAID * HAPPY - these are some of the emotions a man will feel when he's considering asking his girlfriend to marry him. There are many ways to propose to your girlfriend. Some propose by placing the ring in their girlfriend's food or drink while they are on a date, some also do it romantically in front of the girl's parents or in front of many people. These are only a few suggestions and ideas for proposing to your girlfriend. Take your time planning your proposal and make sure you are prepared.
Decisions to Make Before You Pop The Question
Before you propose, there are number of things that you'll need to not only think of, but also prepare before you taking that important step. Bad preparation usually hurts the proposal, and can turn what should be a special moment, into a bad memory.
- 1If you aren't sure - don't do it.Don't just jump into the proposal without considering what you are about to ask your girlfriend.Advertisement
- 2If you aren't sure - don't do it.Be sure this is the person you want to spend the rest of your life with before asking her to marry you.Advertisement
- 3Usually, this will eventually come out - usually during the wedding place, so make sure you know what you're doing. If you aren't sure - don't do it.Some guys often propose to a girl for the wrong reasons thus damaging the relationship if she finds out that you heart is not fully into marrying.
- 4And, if you aren't sure - don't do it.If you have to think about whether or not you love this person, you are not ready to marry at this time.
- 5Make sure, before the proposal, you've had the conversation with your girlfriend about what you both want out of life, if you want kids, where you want to live, etc.
- 6Pick up on her body language and discuss all these issues in order to see if she is in fact interested in marriage. That being said, interest is not a determining factor, so don't imagine for a second it's a sure thing.Hint to her about marriage in order to see where she stands in terms of getting married in the future.
- 7If you're unsure, you might talk to her parents about popping the question in order to get their take on the situation, but again, if you aren't sure - don't do it.
- 8They might have some good ideas to add to your plans. If you aren't sure what she would like, and you NEED to ask her parents or best friend, you probably don't know her well enough yet to ask for her hand in marriage. Wait.Talk to her parents and best friends about how you intend to propose.
Planning Your Proposal
- 1Plan. Plan.Plan.Advertisement
- 2Don't tell everyone about your intended proposal for two reasons.
- Your girlfriend might get wind of your proposal, and it will ruin the surprise. ##There is always a chance she'll say no, and the more people that know you're your intentions were, the more people you have to explain she said no. If you have been devastated by her refusal to marriage, believe me, every single time you have to tell someone else she said no, it'll be like a knife plunging into your broken heart.
- 3This will give you the best clues regarding where and when she would like you to ask her to marry you. Maybe she's talked about a place she's always wanted to go, or a place she feels the most connected. Only you, knowing her heart's desire, can make it perfect.Listen to her when she talks.
- 4Remember - if you propose on Christmas Day - the anniversary of the proposal will always be over-shadowed by another event. Likewise, for Valentine's Day - which has almost become too common.If you are planning to propose on another holiday, make sure it doesn't interfere with your proposal.
- 5Make sure weather won't dampen your plans when considering a location.
- 6As the most popular location tends to be a restaurant, here are a few things you might consider.
- If you can, pick your favourite restaurant, one where they know you.
- If it's a new restaurant for both of you, ake sure it's an intimate, cozy restaurant.
- Check the menu online, and makes sure it's includes her favourite foods.
- Wouldn't it be wonderful if there were musicians in the restaurant.
- If not, you might ask the manager to play "your song" at a signal from you.
- Make your reservations well in advance.
- When you're making the reservation, ask for a nice table - perhaps near a window. If it's your favourite restaurant, ask for your favourite table, or the table you sat at on your first date.
- 7Decide on how you would like to propose, keeping in mind she will remember this moment the rest of her life.
- 8It's usual, and quite gallant to get down on one knee.
- 10Ideally, choose a quiet place where there aren't crowds of people and you won't get interrupted.Choose a good location; somewhere you know the girl wants to be, or somewhere sentimental to both of you.
- 11Do you want to be serious and romantic, or whimsical and funny, or perhaps a combination of both - if you're really clever? Rehearse what you're going to say so you might deliver the speech perfectly.Ask yourself how you're going to do the proposal.
- 13The worst thing you would want to do is talk about proposing without the ring for things can happen that will hurt you from being able to purchase the ring at the time.Purchase the ring before you in fact even bring up the thought of proposing to her or anyone else at the time.
- 14If you think you really know her taste, go ahead. If you're unsure, you might want to take her friend or mother with you. Some women, like to go and pick out their rings with their soon to be fiancé.Purchase the ring.
- 15Sometimes men like to hide the ring in a cake, fortune cookie, wine or champagne glass or other places but it's important that you plan it properly so it won't end in disaster, and your soon to be fiancé swallows the ring.Decide on whether you want to hide the ring, or just take it from your pocket in its beautiful box.
- 16There are a number of methods you can try in order to get the perfect size from asking her about her size or either go jewelry shopping and bring up the topic discretely.Be sure that the ring is the correct size before purchasing in order to ensure that the ring will fit your girlfriends finger perfectly.
- 17Not perfect like a Hollywood actor, perfectly you - sincere, honest, and passionate.Practice your speech in order to perfect.
- 18You want to look your best. This will give you the shot of confidence you might need.Decide and prepare your outfit for the proposal.
- 1The best time to ask her for a date is evening. Evening dates are more romantic than dates during the day. The reason why evening is the best time is that noise is not rampant which make it more romantic.Set a time for a date with your girlfriend, and make sure you look good for it.Advertisement
- 2Avoid getting nervous during the proposal because you might forget your speech.Prepare yourself to stay calm, no matter whether the outcome is good or bad.
- 3Look your best. Don't be late. Be there at least 15 minutes early. (The last step will be disputed by a woman in the tips section of this article).Pick your girlfriend up on the day of your proposal.
- 4Be a gentleman, and overly gentlemanly.
- 5Take your proposal slowly, don't be in hurry.
- 6Dinner conversation should be about good times, good memories, first kiss, first date, happy times, remember special moments and have thoughtful conversation.
- 7Ruining her day will most likely result to a bad date, and perhaps a refusal regarding the proposal. Here are a few ways you could totally ruin the proposal.Make sure that you don't ruin her day.
- Don't take advantage of her. If you take advantage of her she will be disappointed, and possible refuse your proposal.
- Try to avoid discussing politics, past fights, past relationships, old girlfriends, any of her shortcomings, the time you were "on a break", etc.
- Don't flirt with the waitress.
- Don't ask also about her problems in her family.
- If you aren't sure what you're going to say is appropriate...count to five before talking.
- 8When it's time for you to pop the question be sure that you have checked and double checked everything.
- Don't forget to pick up your girlfriend.
- For goodness sake - DO NOT FORGET THE RING.
- Never propose when you have been fighting with her within the past couple of days.
- While a man might thing proposing in front of a the woman's parents, this isn't the most ideally romantic scenario.
- Make sure your girlfriend is dressed appropriately. You may be so in love with her that in your eyes, she always looks amazing, but believe me, if you propose to her when she's just been jogging, come back from the gym or wearing a track suit - she will remember.
- As it says earlier to be 15 minutes early - don't. Some women time things down to the wire, and it's almost more annoying when a man arrives early, than when he arrives late. Get there just on time.
- A lot of this article talks about the planning for a proposal, but you should be true to who you are. If you are a spontaneous kind of man, then do what you want - when you want. Sincerity is the most important thing you need in order to propose successfully.
- Check out this VisiHow article Awesome Proposals
Categories : Marriage
Recent edits by: Send2marto, Ephraim, Lynn