Prevent and Cure Scabies
Edited by Debbie, Maria, Rose B, Lhynne27 and 20 others
Scabies is a horrible skin condition that has affected millions of people over the course of many years. It mostly occurs in crowded places such as nursing facilities, daycares, and apartment buildings, but infestations can occur anywhere. It is caused by the tiny Sarcoptes scabies mite. These mites cannot be seen with the naked eye, but they can be viewed under a microscope or through a magnifying glass. The mites burrow into the skin, where they lay their eggs. They also leave behind their excrement, which can cause an allergic reaction in the infected person's skin that leads to a rash and unbearable itching. The mites then feed on the blood and skin. This is very upsetting to people who have to deal with it, and they often have a hard time sleeping at night because of the itching.
The most common places the scabies rash is found are moist areas on the body - the groin, under the arms, the waist, and in and around the fingers. How does a person end up with scabies? It can be caught from sharing towels or clothing with someone. Close skin contact is the most common reason, such as having intimate relations. If anyone in your family has scabies, you'll need to be very careful and avoid contact with them or their belongings, because it can spread to you quickly; however, there are several ways to treat and prevent scabies infestations.
- 1 What Does Scabies Feel Like?
- 2 Treatment Options and Home Remedies
- 3 What Are the Most Common Symptoms?
- 4 Scabies in Groin Area
- 5 What Are the Symptoms of Scabies in the Groin Area?
- 6 Who Is Susceptible to a Scabies Infection?
- 7 What You Should Know About Norwegian or Crusted Scabies
- 8 Your Doctor May Recommend the Following Treatment for Scabies
- 9 More Prevention Tips
- 10 Questions and Answers
- 10.1 How to eat with crusted scabies?
- 10.2 Sitting next to someone with scabies? Can you catch it?
- 10.3 Do scabies have a white puss if you squeeze them?
- 10.4 Uncontrollable scabies? It keeps coming back?
- 10.5 I have an itchy rash on my ankles, lower back, and arm?
- 10.6 I have bumps on my penis and legs they have puss come out?
- 10.7 Can sanitary pads cause scabies?
- 10.8 How long does mild case of scabies take to go away?
- 10.9 Do any of these natural remedies really work to cure scabies?
- 10.10 I'm still trying to get this awful mite out of my clothes & bedding. I wash in hot water, with borax, Lysol, ammonia, & even bleach, and put in hot dryer several spin cycles?
- 10.11 Me and my family have scabies, we have gone through the cleaning procedure and have creams of the doctor, my concern is that it will come back and my children will be exposed to them again, what advice can you give?
- 10.12 How do I get rid of scabies, as it is just extremely itchy. I feel like its taking over my life?
- 10.13 Why did my rash come back to the exact same spot 5 months later?
- 10.14 After 2nd treatment,of permethrin?
- 10.15 My grandmother lives in an apartment for seniors and I believe maybe the building needs to be inspected for scabies and other?
- 10.16 Does bathing with dial soap help?
- 10.17 Hi, my 3 years old nephew has been suffering from scabies for almost a month now. He is taking Loratadin and Citirizine with Permethryn lotion but still won't go?
- 10.18 I have a vaccine pimple from scabies between my fingers and thumb what can I do as treatment?
- 10.19 Not sure if it's mosquitos or bed bugs or scabies?
- 11 Comments
What Does Scabies Feel Like?
In the early stages of a scabies infection, the itching may not be that noticeable. However, as time goes by, the symptoms begin to worsen. The itching intensifies, especially during nighttime. This itching sensation makes it very difficult to sleep comfortably. For some people scabies feels as though you are being bitten by insects, or like pin pricks on the infected area. For others it feels like a very itchy mosquito bite that will not go away.
Treatment Options and Home Remedies
It is best and necessary to see your doctor when you notice that you have symptoms of scabies, as you will likely need prescription drugs and ointments to cure it. However, in addition to seeing your doctor, there are some home remedies that you can make use of to relieve scabies.
- 1Use the hottest water available, and dry the clothes on the highest heat. Do not mix these with non-infected clothes or bedding.Wash all the clothes, towels and bedding of the person who has scabies.Advertisement
- 2Sprinkle borax powder on their furniture, bed, and floor; leave this on for at least 24 hours. Vacuum thoroughly and dispose of the debris immediately in a trash can. Spray 100% pure tea tree oil on the walls to disinfect them, too, and leave the oil on the walls for 12 hours and wash it off. In other areas of the house, cover exposed furniture such as couches or chairs with plastic sheets or plastic bags and leave them in place for 7 days until all newly-hatched mites are dead. Vacuum and clean the rest of house thoroughly.The bed, walls, furniture and floor of the infected person's bedroom need to be disinfected.Advertisement
- 3Items such as hair brushes, makeup brushes anything else that comes in close contact with the infected person should be washed thoroughly in hot water with soap.Wash all personal care items.
- 4Mix one tablespoon of ground neem leaves and one tablespoon of turmeric powder. Apply it to your entire body: mites can spread and infect other areas of your body, as well. After an hour, wash off in a bath. You can use this paste twice a day. If the paste doesn't kill mites within a week, consult a doctor.Turmeric and neem can be made into a paste and applied on the skin of the infected person.
- 5You can use tea tree oil two times a day on the affected area. Make sure to purchase pre-diluted oil like this roll-on stick from Amazon. Note that tea tree oil will not kill the mites.Tea tree oil can also be used on the infected area to reduce the itching sensation.
- 6Eat foods that are rich in zinc such as whole grain products, soybeans and sunflower seeds.
- 7Avoid eating dairy products while infected.
- 8Use over-the-counter drugs like hydrocortisone and Benadryl to relieve itching.
- 9Mix 1/3 of a gallon of apple cider vinegar with 1/2 of a cup of borax into hot water. Take a hot borax bath weekly along with your other medications.Hot borax baths will kill scabies very quickly, as well.
- 10Soothe your itching skin by adding 1-1/2 cups of dried oatmeal to your bath.
What Are the Most Common Symptoms?
Extreme itching, irritated skin, and bump-like blisters are the most common symptoms of scabies. Scabies can develop on almost any part of the body. In adults, scabies can usually be found in the areas such as the armpits, in between the fingers, buttocks, navel, around the breasts (women), elbows and knees. In children, scabies can usually be found on the face, scalp, neck, hands and feet.
Scabies can most readily be identified by a string of bites in a row forming a line of redness almost like a scratch often with bite marks along the way
It is best to talk with your doctor to figure out the exact cause of the skin disease and to determine the right treatment.
Scabies in Groin Area
This is the most common type of scabies, and millions and millions of people are infected with it annually. An infestation of mites in the groin area is possible through sexual intercourse with an infected person. Even quick and short physical contact, such as a handshake or a hug, can possibly spread the infection. Full symptoms can take up to 15 days to appear. The groin itching is uncontrollable, and there are the times that the person won't be able to sit still. The itching often becomes worse at night and is intolerable at times. Contrary to popular belief, scabies is not a sexually transmitted disease; however, once you find out that you have scabies, seek medical treatment immediately and avoid any skin-to-skin contact with others until you're completely free from the infection.
What Are the Symptoms of Scabies in the Groin Area?
- 1Intolerable itching in the pubic or groin area, especially during the nighttime.
- 2Skin bites, which are very itchy.
- 3Reddish patches in pubic or groin area.
- 4Pink or red bumps in the pubic or groin area that sometimes can be mistaken for pimples.
- 5Red line between irritated areas, areas (which looks like a pimple) often in a straight line caused by the mite burrowing through the skin.
Who Is Susceptible to a Scabies Infection?
- People of all races or ethnicity
- People of all ages
- Both sexes can get this infection
- Everyone from all socioeconomic levels
- Those who reside in very crowded area and situations
What You Should Know About Norwegian or Crusted Scabies
Crusted scabies, also known as Norwegian scabies, is a rare but more serious type of scabies that's most common in people with compromised or weak immune systems. This is a highly infectious form of scabies, and it's usually found once the mites have multiplied into the thousands, causing crusty scales to form on the skin. In many cases, symptoms are minimal but mild itchiness can occur. This form of scabies is more serious because it predisposes the individual to dangerous secondary infections, such as Staphylococcus. Crusted scabies typically occur in these groups of people:
- 1If their bodies are weak, this makes the infection very easy to spread and difficult to cure. A weak immune system can also limit the effectiveness of the treatment.Elderly people and those in nursing homes.
- 2They are not able to care for themselves properly, and they may not even know they are infected, so the infection could linger due to absence of treatment.Mentally and physically challenged people.
- 3Their bodies have lacking defense systems as they do not have required nutrients, vitamins and minerals, to help them fight infections.People who are emaciated.
- 4Both have very weak immune systems that make it difficult to fight off infection.People who are HIV/AIDS positive, or have undergone transplants.
Your Doctor May Recommend the Following Treatment for Scabies
- 1This chemical kills scabies mites; however, there can be some serious adverse effects if not used properly. This should only be applied on clean and dry skin to get the effect needed. It must be only be used once, and washed off within 8 to 12 hours. Never use this if it is not prescribed to you by your physician. Also remember that excessive use can be toxic to the nervous system. Side effects of Lindane lotion include itchiness, a rash, burning and skin dryness.Lindane 1-percent solution.
- 2This relieves the excessive itching of the skin caused by the mites. Clean the area before applying this lotion or cream, dry the area and remove any white crusts visible before treating. Only use the recommended and prescribed amount. Crotamiton is not very effective in killing and removing mites; however, it is a very effective anti-itch medication.Crotamiton 10-percent cream or lotion.
- 3Wash and dry the area before treatment. Apply the specified amount of cream on the infected part of the body and wash it off with warm water after 8-14 hours. This treatment is the safest and most effective. Some side effects of permethrin can include redness, skin irritation, swelling, numbing, itching, tingling and stinging. It's typically reapplied after 7 days to ensure all newly-hatched mites are killed.Permethrin 5-percent cream.
- 4Malathion is typically prescribed if permethrin isn't effective at controlling the infestation. It's applied the same way as permethrin, but must be left on for 24 hours before washing. Reapplication is typically necessary after 7 days to ensure all newly-hatched mites are killed. Skin irritation is a common side effect of malathion.Malathion 0.5 aqueous lotion.
- 5This oral medication will kill rabies, as well. Your doctor may prescribe this medication if the above topical treatments irritate your skin or are ineffective. Ivermectin should be taken once a week for two weeks to kill and remove scabies mites.Ivermectin.
Be sure to use any and all medications that your doctor prescribes to you exactly as prescribed. If you are prescribed Ivermectin and directed to take it once a week for two weeks, do it. Your doctor prescribed these medications specifically for you, so taking them exactly as directed will ensure that your scabies infection will be completely eradicated.
In Serious Cases
Physicians might prescribe the following oral medications to combat the infestations fast:
- 1These stop the growth of bacteria if an infestation is proven, but be careful in following the doctor's advice when it comes to taking antibiotics.Antibiotics.
- 2This is prescribed for people infected with parasitic infections. Side effects include, but are not limited to: Joint and muscle pains, palpitations, diarrhea, fever, dizziness and headache.Ivermectin.Advertisement
Before using any medicines, it is always advised to carefully read the instructions that came with the package. Never take more than the recommended dosage of any medication (especially orally) to prevent overdosing.
More Prevention Tips
- Do not use another person's personal items when they are infected with scabies.
- Scrub your home clean, and wash all linens and clothing in the hottest water available. Dry the laundry on the highest heat setting.
- Cover any furniture that cannot be washed, such as mattresses or couches, with plastic
- Make sure everyone who lives with or comes in close contact with the infected person is treated, as well.
Questions and Answers
How to eat with crusted scabies?
Dealing with scabies is never an easy ordeal, especially if you develop itchy, bumpy, pruritic, and erythematous rashes on sensitive parts of the body like around the mouth. Scabies are parasitic by nature, and can be contracted from dust mites that could be almost anywhere, like in the towels or blankets that you use. This is highly contagious and can infect anyone in close contact or around the household.
It is very hard, uncomfortable, and painful to eat with crusted scabies in the lining of your mouth, as it comes in contact with the food particles, but you have eat nevertheless. Here are some ways to be able to eat well even with the pestilence brought about by crusted scabies:
- Keep your lips or mouth moist by dabbing petroleum jelly on the affected areas, as it is highly effective in eradicating scabies. You can also dab a damp cotton ball to wet your lips and prevent further drying or cracking.
- Use oral antihistamines, which can reduce an allergic reaction, along with itching and discomfort caused by scabies.
- Hydrate yourself by consuming at least eight glasses of water per day and drinking other fluids such as warm tea. Fruit juices are also recommended, but this could sting a bit. It is advisable to use a straw for easy and pain-free sipping, rather than making big gulps.
- Try preparing bite-size pieces of food for easy chewing. A soft diet is also recommended for patients suffering from scabies to be able to maintain complete nutrition and lessen discomfort while eating. You can try soups or stew.
- Eliminate dairy and sugary foods from your diet. Get rid of junk foods too, which you can get on-the-go, but are unhealthy. Instead, opt for more vegetables, fruits, and whole grains in your menu. This will not only help get rid of the stubborn scabies, but will also boost your immune system and overall health.
It is important to think about your lifestyle habits and diet as this could be the common culprit for scabies. Make the necessary modifications to improve living conditions and rid your space of this infectious disease for good.
This is not recommended and is also unsanitary when you choose to consume your scabs. Your scabs contain bacteria which can in turn harm you and your health. If you have a scab and will like to remove it use any type of tool other than your mouth in order to remove the scab from your body to promote the healing process.
Sitting next to someone with scabies? Can you catch it?
Yes, you can catch scabies mites when you are sitting next to someone with scabies. But it is not absolute that you will catch it right away. Scabies is spread if you have skin contact with the affected person and it is even more contagious if he/she has crusted scabies. Prolonged skin contact with the person with scabies will make you prone to catching scabies.
Do scabies have a white puss if you squeeze them?
When squeezed, a white puss comes out of the center
The answer depends on the severity of scabies. Scabies normally have signs and symptoms of rashes, itching, mite tunnels and scratching on the affected part. In regards to your query, your scabies is in a severe form which is known as "Norwegian Scabies" or "Crusted Scabies". Crusted scabies means that the infestation of parasitic scabies mites on your skin are already grown to thousands or millions of mites that are causing bacterial infection on the affected site. The bacterial infections makes the surrounding tissue to swell and signals your immune system to fight off these infections by sending white blood cells to the area. The white pus that came out from your scabies is the result of your immune system in response to the bacterial infection caused by the parasitic scabies mites. To sum it up, mild scabies usually don't have a symptom of pus on the affected site while severe scabies mostly have a symptom of pus formation on the skin primarily caused by bacterial infection because of the over population of the parasitic scabies mites.
Uncontrollable scabies? It keeps coming back?
A recurring scabies infection is likely due to one of these two things: the infection hasn't been completely eradicated, or you've been re-exposed to scabies parasites through bedding, clothing, furniture or carpet, etc. Wash all exposed clothing, bedding and other infected material. The CDC states that scabies mites don't usually survive without contact with human skin for more than 3 days, but you'll need to be very stringent with the decontamination process. Keep your surroundings clean, and make sure to scrub and disinfect all floors, furniture and sinks. Vacuum the carpets and rugs thoroughly, and immediately dispose of the vacuum bag or empty the canister. Carefully wash all exposed linens, clothing and towel using the hottest water to completely eliminate scabies mites and eggs that might be present. Dry them on the highest heat setting to kill all of the mites. Cover exposed furniture or items that can't be washed with plastic sheeting or bags for 7 days to limit new exposure. Wash all personal care items such as hair brushes, combs, makeup brushes, etc. with hot water and soap. Good hygiene is also very important to prevent a new scabies infection. Use Dial soap or any effective antibacterial soap for proper cleansing and nourishment of the skin. Contact your doctor to begin new treatment immediately if you've been infected again. Your doctor will typically prescribe a topical cream or lotion form of permethrin or lindane. You'll have to apply this to your body from the neck down and leave it on for a specified period of time, depending on your doctor's orders. You might also receive Ivermectin, an oral medication. It's recommended that people living in your household or those with whom you've had skin-to-skin contact should receive proper treatment to prevent a recurring infection. After treatment, the rash and itch can last for 2 to 4 weeks, but it will dissipate over time. Over the counter antihistamines such as Benadryl or hydrocortisone cream can help relieve the itch and irritation.
See more questions like this: I have had Scabies before - I feel I may have them now, but, I can't find evidence. What do I do?
I have an itchy rash on my ankles, lower back, and arm?
I have an itchy rash on my lower back, my ankles, inside one arm. I had scabies once and this rash didn't start in the same places but when I showered it turned bright red which happened when I had scabies. The doctor told me I had a contact dermatitis. When I had scabies I worked on a reserve and one of my students had it. I am not sure where I got it now.
Dermatitis can react the way you are describing. You may not have scabies, but if you are in a cold climate, the areas you are describing are common with dermatitis brought on by cold, dry weather. A good way to clear this up with by making a paste of oatmeal and milk. Apply to the areas for 30 minutes three times a day. When you wipe it off, use lukewarm water. Then put a coating of Coconut Oil over the area with Vitamin E for moisturization. This will help prevent further infection and bacteria growth.
I have bumps on my penis and legs they have puss come out?
Can you help please, thank you I am very worried!
You need to consult a dermatologist or at the very least your regular physician. You could have an STD, scabies, or another skin ailment. Tests will be able to determine what it is. Keep the area as clean as you can and try not to break the bumps as you can risk a further infection.
Can sanitary pads cause scabies?
I am suffering from severe itching since my last period. It has been 2 months and I have blisters, brown rashes & severe itching at night time. I am not sure whether its scabies or something else. Can you please recommend any medications for this. Thank You
You definitely don't have scabies. Scabies is caused by a tiny bug that burrows through your skin and then bites every so often to feed. When you have scabies it looks much like pimples that appear close together with what almost looks like a scratch mark in between the newest bite marks where the scabies parasite did the burrowing. What you describe sounds like either a yeast or bacterial infection. In the interest of time I would apply anti-bacterial cream like Polysporin in the morning and an anti-yeast cream before bed. (both available over the counter). I am not a doctor but have life experience. See a doctor for a proper medical diagnosis and treatment.
How long does mild case of scabies take to go away?
Seeing light pink bumps, no burrows, does not itch in the night but they seem irritable when the clothes come into contact. Niece has scabies and I may have detected mine early.
They will go away if you boil all your bedding, vacuum every inch of your home, and treat any scabies infestation. Did you switch to a different laundry soap or fabric softener? This can cause an allergic reaction and it may be hives and not scabies since it starts when you put clothes on.
Do any of these natural remedies really work to cure scabies?
I contacted scabies in a shelter, sitting next to a guy who had them. I got them a month later. Took two treatments of permethrin a week apart. It seemed to work. Rash started disappearing. Itching stopped. Now after like 6 weeks seems like it is starting over probably due to eggs hatching. I have no insurance anymore and only work 3 days a week so looking into home remedies. I have tried: Just the permethrin cream. Now I've been going with sulphur cream. I think it was caused by: I was sitting next to a scabies infected person for two months. He was always itching and went to a doctor. He was diagnosed with scabies. Got it from sitting next to him every day I assume. I never had it before that
Nothing will work unless you completely clean your home from top to bottom. Even without insurance, you may want to call the clinic and request another prescription for the permethrin. Since it was prescribed to you previously, this will be the best course of action again.
I'm still trying to get this awful mite out of my clothes & bedding. I wash in hot water, with borax, Lysol, ammonia, & even bleach, and put in hot dryer several spin cycles?
I'm still trying to get this awful mite out of my clothes & bedding. I wash in hot water, with borax, Lysol, ammonia, & even bleach, and put in hot dryer several spin cycles.
Boil your clothes and bedding. This is the best way to remove scabies. A hard boil for 30 minutes. Even though you used hot water and a dryer, they probably were not hot enough. You need extremely hot water to kill scabies. Our home water heaters do not get to that temperature as a safety measure to prevent burns in the shower. You can also rent a high heat steamer and steam large pieces of furniture and bedding.
Me and my family have scabies, we have gone through the cleaning procedure and have creams of the doctor, my concern is that it will come back and my children will be exposed to them again, what advice can you give?
About scabies in my home and whether they will come back or not.
Keep regularly cleaning. Boil as suggested above clothes and bedding. Steam clean mattresses, furniture, and any carpets. You will want to wait two weeks after the first cream and do another round of them for any eggs that may hatch. Scabies have a two-week egg to hatch life cycle and this is usually when re-infestation occurs.
How do I get rid of scabies, as it is just extremely itchy. I feel like its taking over my life?
I recently went to the doctor and I was given tetmasol medicated soap, rid and zrytek. I followed the instructions and I am still itching intensely. What can I do to get a relief from the itch?
Use Coconut Oil to relieve some of the itch. If the allergy medication is not helping then you can supplement with Benadryl. It is great for itchy skin but does cause drowsiness.
Why did my rash come back to the exact same spot 5 months later?
I think I had scabies about 5 months ago on my side. I applied a cream (I think permethrin) and they went away. . now I have the same itch and small rash in the same area. I was doing some research and I think I will try the same cream again along with some heat treatment. I am also curious as to why and how it came back to the same area, on my right side on my waste line. I have tried: Permetherin. I think it was caused by: Have no idea
You could have contracted them again. Usually, the reinfestation occurs within 2 weeks but you may have contracted scabies again from another source. Follow the procedures you did before to rid them again. You also could have a form of dermatitis that is seasonal like allergies. Seek the advice of a dermatologist while you still have the rash for the best treatment. Some forms of dermatitis need a steroid to completely heal.
After 2nd treatment,of permethrin?
How long will it be before itching stops. I have tried: Permethrin 2 times for scabies. I think it was caused by: Hotel bed
It can take up to 4 weeks before the itching goes away. Especially if you had a severe allergic reaction. Benadryl, oatmeal baths, and Coconut Oil can help with the irritated skin healing.
My grandmother lives in an apartment for seniors and I believe maybe the building needs to be inspected for scabies and other?
Thank you for your time. My grandmother lives in an apartment for seniors and I believe maybe the building needs to be inspected for scabies and other. Management told me my grandmother has to make and sign a notice for them to call the pest control. My grandma does not what to, for that she reacts very negative when I bring it up. I don't want to call the city, is there any other suggestions, thank you again. I'm sorry for the spelling, English is my second language
Yes, you should contact the city as a concerned relative. The building could also be infected with bed bugs which are on the rise in buildings with numerous dwellings.
Does bathing with dial soap help?
I got scabies and I use permethrin. Can I keep bathing with antibacterial soap to avoid re-infestation
Anti-bacterial soap will help aid in a bacterial infection from scabies but will not kill them.
Hi, my 3 years old nephew has been suffering from scabies for almost a month now. He is taking Loratadin and Citirizine with Permethryn lotion but still won't go?
Hi, my 3 years old nephew has been suffering from scabies for almost a month now. He is taking Loratadin and Citirizine with Permethryn lotion but still won't go?.
Completely remove all bedding, stuffed animals, and clothing. Boil it in hot water. If you have a dishwasher, set it to the steam settings for bedding too large for a pot. All of his clothing should be boiled for at least 30 minutes. Steam clean any carpets and furniture with a commercial steamer. These can be rented fairly cheaply for 24 hours at a time.
I have a vaccine pimple from scabies between my fingers and thumb what can I do as treatment?
I have scabies from 45 days I am applying a lotion permethrin 4%. I have a small pimple first when I have it for 20 days but know it converted into a vaccine. It is on my thigh also. It converted into a vaccine.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Not sure if it's mosquitos or bed bugs or scabies?
I just finished cleaning my room and sprayed it with bed bug killer and I haven't seen any except one I killed it now I seen rows of bite marks both on my hand and both of my legs.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Alma, div zala, AlexEli