Prevent a hangover
Edited by Ephraim, Charmed, Eng, Angela and 1 other
This article will discuss how to prevent getting a hangover. Drinking is getting to become a regular activity that almost everyone partakes in to have fun and enjoy themselves social. Even though drinking is not the only way to have fun, some people feel as if it gives them a boost to unwind a bit, and become more uninhibited.
With drinking, comes a great responsibility to make sure you are safe, and other people are also safe from your actions. There are many negative effects that are the result of over-drinking, but in this article, we are focussing on the annoying after effect of drinking commonly called, "the hangover".
Why Exactly Happens To Give Us a Hangover?
A hangover, in laymen terms, is when the heavy drinking you've done the night before, affects your performance the next day. There are many physiological things that happen to make you end up regretting the alcohol you consumed last night.
- 1After drinking alcohol, urination increases, resulting in dehydration. Dehydration makes the individual thirsty, lightheaded, and the biggest issue - the hangover headache. During a hangover, your body is attempting to rid itself of the toxins you put into it by vomiting, sweating, etc. The more alcohol you put into your body, the more toxins that need to be cleansed. This is what happens in your body when you consume too much alcohol - leading to a hangover.Dehydration.Advertisement
- 2Alcohol will create an inflammatory response from your immune system, adversely affecting your memory, concentration, and appetite.Response from immune system.Advertisement
- 3Drinking alcohol raises the level of stomach acids in your stomach. It also slows down the stomach's ability to empty. This can lead to stomach aches, nausea and vomiting.Irritated stomach.
- 4Although sleeping (passing out) is common after heavy alcohol consumption, the quality of that sleep may be poor, and the afflicted individual will wake up in the morning still tired.Quality of sleep quality.
- 5Alcohol can cause blood sugar levels to drop, resulting in lethargy, shakiness, moodiness, weakness, and in extreme cases, seizures.Low blood sugar.
- 6When blood vessels become dilated, it causes painful headaches.Dilated blood vessels.
Avoid a Hangover
After a night of drinking, after you've slept, the night's effects of partying are not over. A hangover carries into the next day with effects such as fatigue, headaches, vomiting and a case of the sweats. Below, you will find some suggestions to help prevent a hangover, and if you've ignored these suggestions, they will help you deal with the effects of a hangover the day after heavy drinking.
How to Avoid a Hangover
Wouldn't it be smart to avoid the hangover in the first place? Read the suggestions below, and put them into practice.
- 1One alcoholic drink - one glass of water. Easy. Also drink a glass of water before going to bed.Water.Advertisement
- 2Everyone has a different limit when drinking alcohol. Know how to maintain a nice buzz, and avoid becoming falling down drunk. Stick to what you know is your own limit when indulging in alcohol. Don't get caught up in the frenzy and consume more than your limit, which will end up being a problem. 80% of people who drink, indulge beyond their limitations, and only 5% out of this group wake up without a hangover.Know your limit.
- 3In many places, it is the law that the bartender make sure you don't become inebriated. This is a lot of responsibility to put on one person, and really, shouldn't you be responsible yourself? If a bartender cuts you off, take heed, and do not leave an find another bar that will serve you. Be smart, and go home.Bartender's responsibility.
- 4When you are at a house party, or frat party, you need to limit yourself before you are too far gone to care. A good rule to follow - one drink per hour. This will put most people under the legal limit if stopped, but where talking about avoiding hangovers - so let's assume no one reading this article would be driving a car after drinking. Six drinks in one long party are more than enough.Limit yourself.
- 5Being realistic, people are searching for that 'buzz'. When you get there - only have one drink an hour following that to level off.Maintaining that nice buzz.
- 6People with a fast metabolism have less fat cells. Fat cells soak up the alcohol in the body so if you have fat cells it will take longer to get drunk and you'll have less of a chance of getting a hangover.If you have a fast metabolism it's a good idea to have less to drink than the average person who has a slower metabolism.
- 7Here are some basic rules when it comes to drinking different types of alcohol.It is also proven that some alcoholic beverages have greater effects than others on your body.
- Dark Liquor-tends to get a person drunk and intoxicated faster than white liquor.
- White Liquor- tends to take a longer time to get a person drunk than dark liquor.
- Beer has a lower percentage of alcohol than liquor.
- Corn Liquor or Moonshine are the worst to drink because they are homemade, and therefore have an unknown proof and alcohol percentage.
- 8Eat before consuming alcohol. The food in your stomach will absorb the alcohol, lessening the chances of becoming intoxicated. The better the meal you eat, the better the chances are you won't end up with a hangover. Don't just down fast food; throw in some vegetable or greens to get a complete meal before drinking. It's better to eat before you drink, rather than while you drink. #Milk. Many swear by drinking a glass of milk before drinking alcohol to slow down the absorption of alcohol.Don't drink on an empty stomach.
- 9Don't mix the kinds of alcohol you're drinking, just stick to one thing. Just drink beer, or red wine or white wine, or vodka. Do not mix the kinds of alcohol you're consuming, as this will almost certainly end up in a hangover.Stay the same lane.
- 10Every brand of alcohol is different, but here is an average for you to consider:Every kind of alcohol has a different volume of alcohol.
- White liquor - 36 % alcohol.
- Dark liquor - 58 % alcohol.
- Beer - 7.8 % alcohol. but you consume more of it, unlike one ounce of liquor)
- Wine - 15% alcohol. (but you consume more of it, unlike one ounce of liquor)
- Mixed Drink- 27 % alcohol + 6g of sugar
- 11As stated in step 1, dark liquors (dark rum, scotch, bourbon) contain more chemicals that contribute to hangovers than light liquors (vodka, gin, light rum). It's safer to stick to light liquors or beer, especially if you aren't a frequent drinker.Choose white liquor over the dark.
- 12Watch out for champagne for it is the worst when it comes to hangovers. Even if you are celebrating, take it easy on the champagne. It goes down easily, but you might regret all that celebrating the morning after.Champagne.
- 13If you can, drink some Gatorade, PowerAde or any drinks that will replace lost electrolytes to the body. Drinking alcohol breaks down the electrolytes and sugars in the body, so drinking these types of beverages can help balance out the sugar in the body.Replace lost electrolytes.
- 14Don't drink caffeine while drinking, as it may cause diarrhea and stuffiness.Stay away from caffeine.
- 15An angry or depressed drunk will suffer from a hangover more than a person who drinks happily. When a person is happy the body produces "endorphins" which allow the brain the send messages faster and successfully.Stay positive for being positive while drinking can stave off a hangover the next day.
- 16Eat when you awake the next morning to keep the hangover from forming later on in the day. Some hangovers do not occur as soon as you wake up, but show up later in the day - especially if you haven't gotten enough sleep. The best type of breakfast is one that is predominantly protein, wheat and fruit. Avoid anything that contain grease, for this will make things worse.Simple foods.Advertisement
Questions and Answers
Does having a fast metabolism mean less of a hangover?
Not entirely. As you can see, getting less or no hangover at all depends on your genes, age, tolerance to alcohol, weight, gender and most importantly, what and how much you consume.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Angela, Eng, Charmed