Prevent Getting Diabetes Naturally
Edited by Ermin, Robbi, Lynn, Doug Collins and 1 other
Glucose, a sugar energy source in the bloodstream, which also comes from the foods people eat, is important in one's body. Without glucose, the entire body won't function properly. Glucose can also harm one's pancreas, a body organ that produces hormone insulin, which can help regulate blood sugar levels. If the pancreas is not functioning properly and not producing enough insulin for the body, the glucose or sugar level may go up. In this condition, one might be diagnosed with diabetes.
Diabetes is a chronic health condition, which can gradually affect all other parts of the body if not treated early with medications. However, type 1 diabetes mellitus can't be prevented, but can be controlled to avoid any other health complications later on. Before knowing the prevention of this disease, one should be aware of the types of diabetes and how each type can destroy one's health:
Major types of diabetes
- 1Type 1 diabetes mellitus:Advertisement
- 2The pancreas can still produce insulin, but it may not be enough, or the body does not respond to it. This means the body cannot break down glucose, although the pancreas provides insulin in the bloodstream. In this case, the glucose may persist in there, which can cause glucose buildups. This is the why people with type 2 diabetes are obese and apathetic. These are first signs of type 2 diabetes, as well.Type 2 diabetes:Advertisement
- 3This can occur in the late stages of pregnancy. This is because the pregnancy hormones can stop insulin from functioning, and thus lead to an increase in glucose levels. In addition to that, those who have a family history of diabetes, had an unexplainable miscarriage before, high blood pressure, and are overweight, can be diagnosed with diabetes during their pregnancy. If this happens, the baby in the womb may likely be affected by the mother's health condition. However, the effects are lower than those in women who are diagnosed already with type 1 or type 2 diabetes.Gestational diabetes:
Can type 1 diabetes be prevented?
Type 1 diabetes can't be prevented, but can be controlled. Like I said, there's no cure for treating type 1 diabetes mellitus. Also, type 1 diabetes chooses anybody - children, teens, or adults. Doctors do not know the main cause of this condition. Genetics can be one of the factors of getting type 1 diabetes. However, there are some who have this disease, although they do not have a family history of diabetes. In other words, anyone can get type 1 diabetes mellitus without knowing the exact cause of it. The only way you can control the glucose level is by injecting insulin into your body every day. Otherwise, you will die due to health complications, which can affect the other organs of the body, such as the eyes, kidney, etc.
Can type 2 diabetes be prevented?
You can prevent type 2 diabetes from developing. As we all know, type 2 diabetes grows slowly in the body. If you experience such unusual symptoms, you may be having type 2 diabetes. However, it can be prevented because type 2 diabetes grows slowly and may occur in people in their adulthood. Healthy lifestyle can be done to reduce the risk of getting diabetes and avoid health complications associated with it.
Can gestational diabetes be prevented?
Yes, you can prevent gestational diabetes during pregnancy by controlling blood glucose levels to reduce the risk to the baby's condition. Healthy diet can be utilized during pregnancy to prevent gestational diabetes from developing. The good thing about this type of diabetes is that it disappears once the baby is delivered. Yet, if the mother is careless with her health, she may be at high risk of getting type 2 diabetes later in her life.
Tips to prevent yourself from getting diabetes naturally
Type 1 diabetes is usually diagnosed in early ages, like in children. Because of this, one cannot prevent it, as it can suddenly attack anybody anytime at any age. The symptoms just show that once the disease gets in the body. Type 2 diabetes happens at later stages in life, like in people's 20s and above. Diabetes affects millions of Americans, and they are most often diagnosed with pre-diabetes, which comes before type 2 diabetes. In this case, you may be able to prevent it from developing, if you are diagnosed with pre-diabetes. Pregnant women with gestational diabetes can prevent themselves from getting type 2 diabetes after delivery and having birth defects during pregnancy, as well. To do so, you may want to follow the tips below:
- 1Eat low-calorie foods.
- 2Avoid high-calorie drinks.
- 3Do regular exercise and lose weight.
- 4Choose high fiber or slow-release carbohydrate foods.
- 5Eat fruits and vegetables.
- 6Add cinnamon to your diet.
- 7Add bitter melon to your meal.
- 8Take prickly pear cactus supplements.Advertisement
Tips & Warnings
- If you are pregnant, do not take any herbal medications such as cinnamon, bitter melon, and prickly pear cactus, as these can cause miscarriage and birth defects. Ask your doctor first before taking these herbs.
- If you have a family history of diabetes, you may want to see your doctor for blood tests and diagnoses. You may also bring your children, if you think they have diabetes. Pre-diabetes often comes first before type 1 or type 2 diabetes. You will know your condition once you have had a blood test to diagnose diabetes. If early prevention is done, you will be able to avoid health complications later on, such as kidney problems and blurred vision.
- Herbs like cinnamon, bitter melon, and prickly pear cactus can cause allergic reaction in some people. So, before taking any herbal medications, you may want to ask your doctor about it.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Physical Health
Recent edits by: Doug Collins, Lynn, Robbi