Prevent Cramps When Running
Edited by Seighart, Charmed, Eng, Maria and 1 other
When it comes to getting cramps while running there are a lot factors that are included which can cause you to get this unfortunate occurrence to happen to you during this activity. Cramping can cause to be a very painful occurrence for many people while running for sometimes you are not allowed to stop and rest properly during this action. The best way to tackle this issue from occurring will be to perform preventative measures in order to help yourself during your run. Below are a list of actions that you can perform before going out on your run to help you to run pain free.
Water is one of the top reasons for cramping up while running so before you get to your run ensure that you drink water before running but understand that you need to drink a certain amount to help you on your run. Drinking water before your run will help you for this will help to rehydrate your body before you go out on your run for your body will have suffered some type of loss of hydration before your run whether you are just waking up or running after a full day of activities. Drinking water will help but will only help if you are doing a run that is less than one hour for any type of run past that time will require you to replenish your electrolytes which can be gained from sports drinks. The amount of water you will need to drink will be between five to twelve ounces depending on the length of the run you are about to embark on at the time.
- 1A lot of people believe that if they drink water immediately before their run that they will be cramp free but the water will need to be consumed a day or days before the even to help prevent cramping.Drinking water right before your run will not help you effectively for you will need to drink water at least 2 days to 1 day before your actual event, your body will need time in order to place that water in the right place to help you prevent cramping up.Advertisement
Drink the same amount of water after your run as well as before your run so that you can ensure that your body is hydrated well for the next run that you will embark on in the future.
The most overlooked preventative measure which is stretching will allow our body to prevent itself from cramping. By stretching you will opening up air ways in your body to flow naturally and smoothly. Our joints along with blood flow are bettered when we stretch before an activity that we are going to perform. Without stretching your body will remain clogged up through our joints and also our blood flow allowing the painful opportunity to cramp to present itself easily when we are on our run. Below are a number of joints and positions that are recommend to stretch before performing any physical activity.
- 1Stretch your calf muscles which are located behind your shin/lower leg before your run in order to reduce possibly catching a cramp in your calf muscleAdvertisement
- 2Stretch your quads/thighs before starting your run for this will help to reduce the chance of catching a cramp in this particular muscle while runningAdvertisement
- 3Stretching the hips is the most essential for your hips are the closest to your stomach and usually when you run your hip will help to contribute the cramp to your stomach if not stretched out properly before the run.
- 4Stretch our your Achilles tendon before performing to take on the activity of running
- 5Other stretches such as the chest, back or neck are also important but will not necessary add to the chances of catching a stomach cramp while running.
Timing is everything
Running at certain times will add to the chances of catching a cramp if they are ignored for times are also essential to the cramping process while running. Below are a list of different things that can contribute to running in terms of your timing.
- 1Running in hot temperatures will cause your body to sweat or loss fluids in the body which will cause you to catch a cramp quicker for your body will require more fluids in order to run cramp free.Advertisement
- 2Running in weather that is too cold will cause your body to hold onto water longer but depending on how cold the weather can cause your body to have to use the fluids to keep itself warm thus causing you to go through the same issue that you would if you were to in fact run in hot weather.
- 3Running early in the morning will allow you to run at a decent temperature without having to worry about the loss of fluids
- 4Running at dusk will give you a good temperature to run without having to worry about the loss of fluids
A lot of times our shoes or clothing will help to contribute to the chances of catching a cramp in our stomach while running. If you are noticing that you are doing everything above correctly and are still catching your cramps them understand that you may need to check some of your gear that you are wearing for they may be the problem.
- 1Not only can your shoes cause you cramps but it can also cause you to have back problems, if you do not have enough money to buy new shoes then try to invest in soles for your shoes in order to help improve your balance.Check your shoes for if you are uncomfortable running in your shoes then this will be a reason that you are catching cramps for your body may be imbalanced while you are running causing you to have to alter your way of running thus causing you cramps.
- 2Sweat pants are surprisingly a cause of catching cramps while running for if they are too tight then chances are they are not allowing you to get your full extension while you are running thus causing a cramp in your stomach from not allowing your legs and body to stretch fully during a long period of time/activity you are enduring the day.
Aside from your sweats causing a problem to not letting your body fully extend it may also cause a problem by making you sweat more than normally which will cause you to lose fluids in your body.
Certain foods or drinks that we consume can also prove to be a reason for cramping during our running activities. Below are a list of things that you consume that can cause you to get cramps while doing your daily activity.
- 1Stray away from caffeinated drinks for they can dehydrate the body as well as your muscles before you take off on your activity.
- 2Eating bananas will help to ensure that you are cramp free for they contain potassium which can help prevent cramping of the body
- 3Do not eat any meals that contain a high volume of protein before running for these high protein meals can also disrupt the fluids in the body negatively, not to say that they cannot be consumed at all but not at least 6 hours before your run.
- 4If you know you are going for a run the next day then it is a good idea to eat a lot of carbohydrates for they can help you to hold the fluids in your body.
There are a lot of running habits hat should be avoided when running, you are the best judge of how you run so this particular part depends solely on you and how you operate.
- 1If you know what your pace is personally then keep your pace during your entire run in order to reduce the chance of cramping.Know your pace and keep your pace while running, if you change your pace it can cause you to cramp up your body.
- 2Run evenly and do not slump to one side more than the other for this can also cause a problem during your run.
- 3Fully extend your legs during your run to ensure that you are giving yourself a full extension of your body which can help prevent catching a cramp.
How to Prevent Cramps When Running
- 1Make sure to stretch properly or warm up before you run.
- 2You can drink sports drink to replenish your calcium and zinc, lack of it can cause cramping.Hydration is needed when your run.
- 3Proper diet is needed make sure you have your dose of vitamin A, D and E since they prevents cramping.
- 4You may have to replace your running shoes once every 6 months or if you wore it over 500 miles.Make sure you have proper shoe gear.
- 5Some medications can cause cramps such as medicines for high blood pressure or asthma, therefore you may need to talk to your doctor if you experience it.
- 6If you continue to experience it, then apply a warm soak then stretch the cramp to the opposite direction followed by ice.Foot cramps typically last only for a couple of minutes.Advertisement
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Prevent Cramps When Running. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 26, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Prevent_Cramps_When_Running
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Prevent Cramps When Running." VisiHow, visihow.com/Prevent_Cramps_When_Running Accessed 26 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Prevent Cramps When Running." Accessed Mar 26, 2017. http://visihow.com/Prevent_Cramps_When_Running.