Preparing your Application for College
Edited by Timbuktu, Charmed, Ephraim, Maria Sharon Ubando and 1 other
Prepare your College Application
To prepare or apply for college you need to inquire, write letters for admissions and fill out applications, and, if needed, financial aid forms.
On-Line Inquiry and Applications
Many colleges and universities are now using the internet tools or technology as part of their advancement, and it is easy to communicate and find information online, as most universities and colleges have websites, and on them, information regarding the institution is provided.
For On-Line Admissions:
- You should check their website, read all the information and/or get their email address to contact them for any questions you have.
- Request a college catalog.
- Request an application form. (This is if you cannot find it on their site, or if you are unsure which form you need to fill out.)
- Ask for the list of application deadlines.
- Ask for portfolio requirements. (This is required to some major courses.)
- Ask for Financial aid forms (with deadlines).
What college information you most need:
- Application for admission
- General brochure
- Departmental brochure (This refers to which course you want to take, so you will need a brochure for the department your course belongs to.)
- Information about the local area
- Scholarship information
- Address your letter to the director of admissions
Request for Interview
- When you write a letter, you should include a request for an interview. You may also suggest a time for your visit to the campus or your meeting with the interviewer.
- Look over your writing. This is to be sure that your letter is clear, concise and that it is in formal language. Be sure to check your spelling, punctuation and grammar.
Sending the Application or Admission Letters
- Be sure to read it again and make sure that you have the correct address.
- Be sure to sign your letter and forms.
- Make photocopies of your letter and forms.
- Do not forget the return address on the envelope.
- Make sure you have the proper postage, as instructed by the university or college.
Acknowledgement: Perfection Learning Corporation
Other Considerations Before Applying for College
- 1Admit it or not, most employers choose an applicant from a reputable school over one who came from a not-so-known institution. If possible, get yourself admitted in one of the better or best schools.School background and reputation.Advertisement
- 2Make sure that the school's curriculum is designed to be effective enough to prepare you for the career you will be choosing.Look at the curriculum.Advertisement
- 3If money will be an issue for you, look at the tuition fee for the school of your choice. Research many schools or colleges and compare the cost. Go for the one which you think will be easiest for you or your parents to afford.Cost of tuition.
- 4If you can't afford the fees on the your choice of school, you may inquire about scholarships or grants that you could apply for.Check on scholarships or grants.
- 5Consider the cost of transportation from your home to the school. Choose one which you think will be the most convenient for you. However, in the case where your choice of school is far away, ask yourself whether a daily commute or staying in dorms will work better.Geographical location.
- 6If you want to be the cream of your crop in your future career, choose the school which specializes in the course you are planning to take.Course specialization.
- 7Choosing a university is as important as choosing the right course to study. Your choice can bear a big impact on the kind of job you can engage in and how successful you can be with your chosen field. Check out the list of top jobs or careers for the next decade to help you decide on what to specialize in.Look into the future.Advertisement
Promising Jobs for the Next Ten Years
- personal financial adviser
- dental hygienist
- civil engineer
- market research analyst
- computer systems analyst
- computer application software engineer
- management analyst
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Preparing your Application for College. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 25, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Preparing_your_Application_for_College
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Preparing your Application for College." VisiHow, visihow.com/Preparing_your_Application_for_College Accessed 25 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Preparing your Application for College." Accessed Apr 25, 2017. http://visihow.com/Preparing_your_Application_for_College.
Categories : Communications & Education
Recent edits by: Maria Sharon Ubando, Ephraim, Charmed