Play old games in your browser
Edited by Yuliya, Eng
Hey everyone, this is Sean from VisiHow and today I'm going to show you how to play old games in your browser. Specifically only in Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. It is using InternetArchive.org's new massive collection of old DOSBox games. So they're all old computer games that run and stream through your browser through this website, and I'll show you how to do it. It's really simple and it's pretty great. It is in beta, so it does have some problems but they're working on it, and it's pretty impressive.
- 1That's a program you actually download to your computer and you play games directly through that. It doesn't require streaming or anything like that. It's more like you actually download the games themselves to your computer, and with DOSBox you do it through that. It's kind of complicated. I've used it in the past and it was definitely way more complicated and challenging to use than what Internet Archive has set up. So let's just go straight over there and look at that.First, I did mention DOSBox, which if you've never used, we can look at that right now.Advertisement
- 2It is InternetArchive.org if you want to type it straight in, or you can just Google it or Bing or whatever you want to use. It is a non-profit library that offers access to free books, movies, music, text, audio, software, images - it has over 400 billion webpages and it's huge, massive, crazy... and really cool.Let's head on over to Internet Archive.Advertisement
- 4MS-DOS games is where you want to go. They also have classic PC games and a bunch of other stuff. The classic PC games are mainly demos that you can download, they're not streaming through your browser or anything like that. So let's go to MS-DOS games.Then it's going to give you a bunch of different options here.
- 10It says on the main page that the browser-based emulation is still in beta, and they're still working on it so some things work really well and really fluid, and the keys work well and it actually makes sense, and then there's other ones that if you try them they might be kind of frustrating. I tried Dune 2 earlier, which is a strategy game, and it barely worked.Each game on here kind of varies with how well it works.
- 11There is no saving yet, they don't have that - they're working on it. So that is a big difference between this and other emulators.There are certain things that will be too slow or too fast, and they have fixes for that to slow things down or speed things up - you just have to check out the FAQ right here on the main page, which has tons of stuff as you can see.
- 12So to end this, if you want to play old games on your browser, straight up, this is one of the best ways to do it through InternetArchive.org. I hope you go check it out. Thanks for checking out this VisiHow video!But this whole thing that they have set up is pretty damn impressive and it works fairly well, especially for having over 2000 games on here right now.Advertisement
Video: Play old games in your browser
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Play old games in your browser. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Jun 25, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Play_old_games_in_your_browser
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Play old games in your browser." VisiHow, visihow.com/Play_old_games_in_your_browser Accessed 25 Jun 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Play old games in your browser." Accessed Jun 25, 2017. http://visihow.com/Play_old_games_in_your_browser.
Categories : Gaming
Recent edits by: Yuliya