Play a Minor Pentatonic Scale in Key of A on Acoustic Guitar
Edited by Thor, Gordon, Eng
Hello, and welcome to VisiHow. In this tutorial, we are going to show you how to play a minor pentatonic scale in the key of A on your acoustic guitar. The minor pentatonic scale is a harmonious scale that uses a combination of notes on the fretboard to create a scale, going up and down, that sound very nice when played together. This is useful to know because it helps you to create solos and songs that are pleasant to listen to. For your reference, the top string will be referred to as the 6th string, the second string will be referred to as the 5th string, continuing down to the bottom string, which will be referred to as the 1st string. For a pentatonic scale you will be playing based on sections of the fretboard, starting with notes on the 6th string, moving down to notes on the 5th string, and continuing to the 1st string. Once you have reached the 1st string, you will go back up the strings to the 6th string, with the notes in reverse order. This is referred to as one section. Once you have completed the first section, you will move on to the second section, and so on. There are four sections in a pentatonic scale. Practice each section before moving on to the next.
- 1Use your index finger for the 2nd fret, your middle finger for the 3rd fret, your ring finger for the 4th fret, and your little finger for the 5th fret. For the 2nd string, you will need to stretch your index finger to reach the 1st fret. You may also shift your hand to reach the extra note.The first section will be played on the 1st through 5th frets.Advertisement
- 2The first note you will play will be 6th string, 3rd fret. The second note you will play on the 6th string will be on the 5th fret. We will refer to this combination of notes as 6th string 3-5, and continue to use this notation throughout the tutorial. The full sequence for moving down the strings will be 6th string 3-5, 5th string 3-5, 4th string 2-5 (2nd fret to 5th fret), 3rd string 2-5, 2nd string 1-3-5 (1st fret to 3rd fret to 5th fret), and 1st string 3-5.Practice moving down the strings.Advertisement
- 3The pattern for moving up the strings will be 1st string 5-3, 2nd string 5-3-1, 3rd string 5-2, 4th string 5-2, 5th string 5-3, and 6th string 5-3. This is the end of the first section.Practice moving down and then up the strings, following the same pattern as the previous step and reversing it as you move back up the strings.
- 10For the 3rd through 6th strings, use your index finger on the 9th fret, your middle finger on the 10th fret, your ring finger on the 11th fret, and your little finger on the 12th fret. For the 1st and 2nd strings, you will need to shift your hand position up the fretboard by one fret. For example, use your index finger on the 10th fret and your little finger on the 13th fret.The fourth and last section will be played on the 9th through 13th frets.
- 14If you have any questions or suggestions about this video, please post them in the comments section below. You will also find links below to other videos in this beginner's guitar series. Thank you for watching VisiHow.This concludes the tutorial on how to play the minor pentatonic scale in the key of A on your acoustic guitar.Advertisement
Video: Play a Minor Pentatonic Scale in Key of A on Acoustic Guitar
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Play a Minor Pentatonic Scale in Key of A on Acoustic Guitar. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 27, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Play_a_Minor_Pentatonic_Scale_in_Key_of_A_on_Acoustic_Guitar
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Play a Minor Pentatonic Scale in Key of A on Acoustic Guitar." VisiHow, visihow.com/Play_a_Minor_Pentatonic_Scale_in_Key_of_A_on_Acoustic_Guitar Accessed 27 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Play a Minor Pentatonic Scale in Key of A on Acoustic Guitar." Accessed Apr 27, 2017. http://visihow.com/Play_a_Minor_Pentatonic_Scale_in_Key_of_A_on_Acoustic_Guitar.
Categories : Music
Recent edits by: Gordon, Thor