Play Videos Directly on VLC from YouTube
Edited by Daniel, Maria, Eng, VisiHow
Did you know that you can also use your VLC player from your computer to play videos directly from the famous video streaming website, YouTube. You read that right, we all know that video player in YouTube have limited options for you to change and a lot of ads that you do not like, right?. The first primary lack of feature that you may encounter in YouTube is the volume which has very limited, that some videos audio may not as loud as you want to hear.
If you are tired of experiencing the same thing, then this is the time to get use of your VLC player on Windows. Here are the Pros and Cons of using your VLC Player to play videos directly from
- 1No need to download flash player for your browserAdvertisement
- 2View the videos in full screen and to boost the volume up to 200%Advertisement
- 3You can set your own Equalizer and all your personalize shortcut keys will be there and any others
- 4We all know that YouTube would load it's videos in 480p which you want to watch them in HD, right?Faster viewing and you can set your own default video resolution.
- 1No closed captioning on VLC
- 2No Annotations when using the VLC player
Also, this article is not just on how you can play YouTube videos directly to your VLC but also know more about your VLC player on how you can download videos and to put subtitles on videos using
- 1If you do not have the VLC player yet, you can download it from this LINK Install the program on your computer.
- 2Run the program on your computer by going to the the shortcut on your Desktop or go to your Start button then click on All Programs then look for the VLC for you to launch.Once you have installed the VLC or if you have VLC already.
- 3Once you have the VLC player on screen, click on the tools tab and on the drop down menu, click the Preferences.
- 4You will see there the options on your VLC screen, on the bottom part just click the button for all to show all advanced settings
- 5On the preferred video resolution, click it and select your default resolution up to 1080p then click on the save after.Once you have the Advanced Settings, look for the Inputs/Codecs and click it to be highlighted in blue.
- 6Go to your browser and go to [wwwyoutube.com Youtube] then search for the video that you want to play. The next part is you need to highlight the address of your video link then click and drag going to your VLC player and click the button for play to start playing the video you want to. Side from the drag and drop, you can also copy the link and click the open space of VLC and press Ctrl + the letter V to paste and click on play. Or, you can also go to "Media" then click on Open Network stream and paste the link and click play.After you have set the video on resolution on your player.
How to download videos from VLC
If you want to download videos from YouTube, you can use your VLC player for you to do so. See the steps below on how you can download:
- 1Go you any of your browser and go you [www.youtube.com YOUTUBE] and search for the video you want to play.Advertisement
- 2On YouTube, copy the address from the URL box.
- 4Once the video is playing, you can either pause or let it play on the background and click on the Tools options then click on "Codec Information".Wait for the video to play.
- 5Simply highlight it and copy the link.On the Codec information, you will see there in the bottom part as location and the link in it.
- 6You can open Google Chrome or Firefox then paste the link in the URL and press on enter.
- 7Then you need to right click the video that is currently playing and click on the "Save video as" and set the location and wait for the download to be completed. If you are using the Firefox, Click on the word Firefox and click on "Save as: then set the location you want and it will be downloaded.You will see there now a black screen and the video will start playing again.
How to add subtitles in VLC using VLsub
If you are fond of foreign movies like Japanese Anime, Korean Drama series which you find your self not able to comprehend their language and wants to understand what they are saying. You can
simply add sub titles for it by using an add-on call VLsub. However, if you have an updated version of the VLC this steps may not be applicable for you and you need to download an older version of VLC like 2.0.8. According to VLC that they temporarily remove the "lua net module" as the main component for you to have subs on the movies you are trying to watch. You may need to wait for the next update of the said program for you to add these subs or if you want to use an older version of VLC then download the VLC 2.0.8 to replace the latest and update it once VLC released the new update with support. The steps from this how to can be applied still once they release the new update and to bring back the "lua net Module".
- 2Go to your download and extract the file and you should get a folder named as "vlsub-master" then open it and copy the vlsub.lua
- 3After copying the vlsub.lua, go to your program files by going to:
- Click Start
- Click Computer
- Click the Drive C: or Local Disk (C:)
- Click the the Programs Files
- Open the VLC then open the next folder of VLC
- Open the Lua folder then open the next folder named as extensions then paste there the file
- 4Close all the folders that you opened and launch the VLC program on your computer.
- 5Select the video you want to play in the program and click on the View tab and click the VLsub 0.9.10
- 6There will be a bunch of titles showing and one of them and click on the "Download selection" for the VLC to download and to get the subs that you wanted.In the VLsub, there will be a "Title" box and type in the title of the movie that you are playing then click on "Search by name".
Questions and Answers
How to force all YouTube videos in VLC to 480p?
I want all the videos in VLC to play in 480p resolution when I play YouTube.
- 1Click "Tools" in the menu.
- 2Click "Preferences".
- 3Under "Show settings", click the "All" radio button.
- 4Click the "Input / Codecs" tab on the left.
- 5Click the drop-down menu next to "Preferred video resolution".
- 6Please note that when the 480p resolution is not available for a video, you will see another one.Select "Standard definition".Advertisement
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Play Videos Directly on VLC from YouTube. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 29, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Play_Videos_Directly_on_VLC_from_YouTube
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Play Videos Directly on VLC from YouTube." VisiHow, visihow.com/Play_Videos_Directly_on_VLC_from_YouTube Accessed 29 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Play Videos Directly on VLC from YouTube." Accessed May 29, 2017. http://visihow.com/Play_Videos_Directly_on_VLC_from_YouTube.
Categories : Social Network
Recent edits by: Eng, Maria, Daniel