Play Old DOS Games Using Dosbox
Edited by Adrian Penaflor, Lynn, Eng
Have you heard of Commander Keen, Black Throne, Flashback, Lost Vikings, Kings Quest, Alone in the Dark 2, Eye of the Beholder 3, or Doom 2?
Well, these are just some of the great DOS games of the past and most of them may have already been forgotten or abandoned. And yes, these are old school games and maybe these are the games that you used to play on your Pentium PC.
These old games may not have super great graphics or sound, but they are also fun and enjoyable and you can also spend good hours of game time. You do not need to worry about connecting your PC on the internet, or paying something online or seeing a bunch of ads on your game.
It's too bad we can't install these old school games directly on our fast computers. However, we can use DOSBox to install and run them. DOSBox is a DOS emulator intended to run old DOS games on fast computers.
If you are a DOS gamer, most likely you already knew how to use the Command Prompt or execute a DOS game; however, if you are new to this or a "newbie" to DOS games, do not worry because this HowTo article will provide you in-depth or step by step guide on how to start and play DOS games on your fast PC.
- 1 How to install DOSBox
- 2 How to download your DOS games
- 3 How to run your DOS Game on DOSBox
- 4 Tips Tricks & Warnings
- 5 Questions and Answers
- 6 Referencing this Article
- 7 Comments
How to install DOSBox
- 1DOSBox is free and you can download it here:(http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1)Advertisement
- 2Download the latest version of DOSBox (Win32 Installer) for Windows PC.Advertisement
- 3After you have downloaded it, run and install the *.exe file on your computer.Note: If you are using Window 7, don't forget to right-click the file and select "Run as Administrator" before running it.
How to download your DOS games
How to run your DOS Game on DOSBox
- 2Next, you will need to mount the game folder using this command "MOUNT <drive letter=""> <game folder="">" and hit Enter.</game></drive>
"MOUNT C: C:\DOSGAMES"
- 1After mounting the folder, you need to access the drive letter by typing the drive letter with a ":" symbol and hit Enter."C:"
- 2Access the game folder, type "CD <foldername>" and hit Enter."CD GODS"
- 3Find the EXE file in game folder.Type"DIR *.EXE" and hit Enter
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- DOSBox is also available on MAC OS X and LINUX operating systems.
- While running the game, you can switch to full screen by pressing Alt + Enter
- To exit out of full screen mode, you can press Alt + Enter again.
- DOSBox system requirements. You need at least Core2Duo and higher CPU speed to emulate and play almost all of the old DOS games.
Questions and Answers
I HAVE THE GAME EYE OF THE BEHOLDER LOADED INTO THE DOSBOX EMULATOR BUT IT HAS NO EXE FILE TO START IT WITH. HOW DO YOU START THE GAME AND MAKE A SHORTCUT STARTER?
THERE IS NO STARTING EXE FILE FOR THE GAME IN THE GAME FILES, AND NO DESKTOP STARTER EITHER. I DON'T SEE A STARTING EXE FILE FOR EYE OF THE BEHOLDER OR A MAKE A DESKTOP ICON FOR THE GAME.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Play Old DOS Games Using Dosbox. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 25, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Play_Old_DOS_Games_Using_Dosbox
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Play Old DOS Games Using Dosbox." VisiHow, visihow.com/Play_Old_DOS_Games_Using_Dosbox Accessed 25 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Play Old DOS Games Using Dosbox." Accessed Mar 25, 2017. http://visihow.com/Play_Old_DOS_Games_Using_Dosbox.
Categories : Gaming
Recent edits by: Lynn, Adrian Penaflor