Play Old DOS Games Using Dosbox
Edited by Adrian Penaflor, Lynn, Eng, Nuance
Have you heard of Commander Keen, Black Throne, Flashback, Lost Vikings, Kings Quest, Alone in the Dark 2, Eye of the Beholder 3, or Doom 2?
- 1 The Nostalgia of the Old DOS Games
- 2 How to Install DOSBox
- 3 How to Download DOS games
- 4 How to Run Your DOS Game on DOSBox
- 5 Tips Tricks & Warnings
- 6 Questions and Answers
- 7 Comments
The Nostalgia of the Old DOS Games
Well, these are just some of the great DOS games of the past and most of them may have already been forgotten or abandoned. And yes, these are old school games. Maybe these are the games you used to play on your Pentium PC.
These old games may not have super great graphics or sound, but they are also fun enjoyable and can be very nostalgic, allowing for many hours of game time. You don't need to worry about connecting your PC to the internet, or paying something online or seeing a bunch of ads on your game.
It's too bad we can't install these old school games directly on our fast computers. However, we can use DOSBox to install and run them. DOSBox is a DOS emulator intended to run old DOS games on fast computers.
If you are a DOS gamer, you most likely already knew how to use the "Command Prompt" or execute a DOS game; however, if you are a "newbie" to DOS games, do not worry because this HowTo article will provide you an in-depth, step by step guide to start and play DOS games on your fast PC.
How to Install DOSBox
- 1Download it Here.DOSBox is free!Advertisement
- 2Download the latest version of DOSBox (Win32 Installer) for Windows PC.Advertisement
- 3Note: If you are using Windows 7, don't forget to right-click the file and select "Run as Administrator" before running it.After you have downloaded it, run and install the *.exe file on your computer.
How to Download DOS games
How to Run Your DOS Game on DOSBox
- 2</game></drive>Next, you will need to mount the game folder using this command "MOUNT <drive letter=""> <game folder="">" and hit Enter.
"MOUNT C: C:\DOSGAMES"
- 1"C:"After mounting the folder, you need to access the drive letter by typing the drive letter with a ":" symbol and hit Enter.
- 2"CD GODS"Access the game folder, type "CD <foldername>" and hit Enter.
- 3Type"DIR *.EXE" and hit EnterFind the EXE file in game folder.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- DOSBox is also available on MAC OS X and Linux operating systems.
- While running the game, you can switch to full screen by pressing Alt + Enter
- To exit out of full screen mode, you can press Alt + Enter again.
- DOSBox system requirements. You need at least Core2Duo and higher CPU speed to emulate and play almost all of the old DOS games.
Questions and Answers
I have the game Eye of the Beholder loaded into the dosbox emulator, but it has no .exe file to start it with. How do you start the game and make a shortcut starter?
There is no starting .exe file for the game in the game files, and no desktop starter either. I don't see a starting .exe file for eye of the beholder or a "make a desktop icon" for the game.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Categories : Gaming
Recent edits by: Eng, Lynn, Adrian Penaflor