Play Gameboy Advance Games on Windows Phone Using an Emulator
Edited by Batkingnz, Lynn, Eng, Dougie-1 and 6 others
The Gameboy Advance (GBA), in its day, was one powerful piece of equipment. It made it possible for gamers to carry something as powerful as the Super Nintendo around in their pockets to enjoy high quality gaming at any time. At the end of its lifetime, the GBA had already surpassed sales of 80 million, and having over 2500 games available, it's one of the perfect systems for gamers to revisit. But is it really practical today to carry your Gameboy around with you? Below we will detail how you can use an emulator on your Windows based smartphone to relive all of the GBA's past glory.
- 1 What You Will Need
- 2 Installing The Emulator
- 3 Setting Up the Emulator
- 4 Loading ROMs
- 5 Tips, Tricks & Warnings
- 6 Questions and Answers
- 6.1 How to use cheats on vba8.
- 6.2 I just don't understand how to do it.
- 6.3 How do I get ROMs on my computer to OneDrive?
- 6.4 I have the VBA 8 on my phone but can't activate the cheat codes. Why?
- 6.5 Could not find setting button in VBA8 on surface RT.
- 6.6 How can I activate the cheat codes? Where can I find the real codes?
- 6.7 How to activate cheat codes on Pokemon emerald ROM using the VBA8 emulator on a Windows phone?
- 7 Referencing this Article
- 8 Comments
What You Will Need
Installing The Emulator
- 1If you have removed the tile, simply swipe left for your full apps list and open the store from here.From your Windows phone, open the Store on the start screen.Advertisement
- 2In the store, search for "VBA8".Advertisement
Setting Up the Emulator
- 1Begin by opening the app and pressing the settings wheel at the bottom of the main screen. This will bring up the configuration menus where you can choose from the following settings:Now that you are all set with the app, it's time to configure all of the settings.Advertisement
- 2General - Standard settings like, enabling or disabling, save notifications and starting your games from the previous save when reloading the app.
- 3Input - In these menus, you have options to change the on-screen controller to the top of the screen instead of the bottom, configure the camera button on your phone to a GBA button, as well as changing the D-Pad style.
- 4Sound - Here you can enable or disable sound, as well as set synchronous audio for better sound quality.
- 5Video - The video settings allow features like frame skipping, turbo mode speed and changing the aspect ratio and screen orientation.
To get your backup games onto the emulator, you will need a ROM of that game. For legal reasons, we cannot direct link to ROMs but a quick Google search will get you on your way. Using ROMs is only considered legal if you own the original copy of the game and you are keeping the ROM for backup purposes.
- 1To get your games onto your phone, they need to be stored in your Skydrive account. Skydrive is the Microsoft cloud storage service and your account is active from the time you first set up your Windows phone. Go to this link on a PC and log in with your Microsoft credentials. You can upload your ROMs anywhere in the main folder of your Skydrive, or create a separate folder. Simply click "Upload" at the top of the window to upload your ROMs from any location on your computer.Uploading ROMs.
- 2Now that your games are in your Skydrive, from your phone in the VBA8 app, swipe to the left of the main screen to get to the Skydrive menu. From here you can sign in to Skydrive and select "Import ROMs". Here you can just tap any ROM from your Skydrive to be saved on your phone.Downloading ROMs to VBA8.
- 3Once you have downloaded any ROMs that you want to use, just swipe back right to the main VBA8 menu and open a ROM to start playing.Opening and playing ROMs.Advertisement
Tips, Tricks & Warnings
- Unfortunately, at this stage, VBA8 is not compatible with external game controllers.
- Some users have reported problems with downloads stopping when the screen is locked. Don't lock your screen when downloading ROMs from Skydrive. If you have a slow internet connection and your screen is timing out before the download completes, change the lock screen timeout setting on your phone: Settings > Lock screen > Screen time out.
Questions and Answers
How to use cheats on vba8.
The Visual Boy Advance emulator uses Gameshark and Codebreaker compatible cheat codes, and they can be entered on the emulator itself. If you have the codes already, here's how you can enter them. Open the emulator and click on the Cheat menu and select Cheat list: http://screencast.com/t/aajqQr2e Click on Gameshark button, enter your codes and then click OK: http://screencast.com/t/s8rmMUVp http://screencast.com/t/gy5JG1spcP Once the codes are entered and enabled, restart the emulator and the codes will take effect.
I just don't understand how to do it.
I have an emulation on my PC for Pokemon games, and when I Google it, it said to just upload it to Skydrive from my PC, then download it from my Nokia Lumia. it didn't work though. Is it because the emulation was meant for VBA instead of for the phone? Can you explain the process to me better?
First of all, make sure you have downloaded the complete one. There are cases that it may seem to be complete but it is missing some parts. Make sure you have Skydrive on your phone as well and install it on your phone through Skydrive.
How do I get ROMs on my computer to OneDrive?
Coolrom.com? or a different website?
When you are downloading from the PC, choose to install it to OneDrive. Then you can go to the app on your device and use it in the emulator. OneDrive only has a limited amount of storage unless you pay for more. You will want to regularly clean out items from there so that you can have enough space to save the ROM.
I have the VBA 8 on my phone but can't activate the cheat codes. Why?
I'm playing the Urbz. If I can be told how, that would be awesome!
Cheat on your GBA emulator is a VisiHow article that walks you through how to use cheat codes on an emulator. You will always need the Master Code to be put in first before you can use any of the cheat codes.
I am trying to set input to my VBA game, but it seems that the setting button is not available on my surface RT. Please assist me with it.
You will see in this Youtube Tutorial what the Settings icon looks like of the VBA8 on the Surface RT.
How can I activate the cheat codes? Where can I find the real codes?
I have tried many cheat codes but they don't work ? I'm playing Pokemon Emerald. I think it was caused by: I don't know
Cheat on your GBA emulator is a VisiHow article that shows you how to use GameShark to use codes on your emulator. Most of the Pokemon games have the same codes no matter what version you are playing.
How to activate cheat codes on Pokemon emerald ROM using the VBA8 emulator on a Windows phone?
I know how to enter the cheats and they are on the list along with the master cheat, which should make all the other cheats work. I have also turned the game off and on and I just don't see any difference. The cheat I entered was for rare candy. Any advice?
Watch this Youtube tutorial for exactly how to enable the Pokemon Emerald Infinite Rare Candies cheat. There are a few steps you may have missed when you entered the codes. Also, keep in mind that the lists online for cheat codes are not always the right one for your version of an emulator or even game.
See more questions like this: How to use turbo mode in vba8+ windows phone?
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Play Gameboy Advance Games on Windows Phone Using an Emulator. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 26, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Play_Gameboy_Advance_Games_on_Windows_Phone_Using_an_Emulator
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Play Gameboy Advance Games on Windows Phone Using an Emulator." VisiHow, visihow.com/Play_Gameboy_Advance_Games_on_Windows_Phone_Using_an_Emulator Accessed 26 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Play Gameboy Advance Games on Windows Phone Using an Emulator." Accessed Apr 26, 2017. http://visihow.com/Play_Gameboy_Advance_Games_on_Windows_Phone_Using_an_Emulator.
Categories : Gaming
Recent edits by: Nuance, venace19, brandymel